about JDM cars...

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
just wanna share with you guys.

In Japan, owning and operating a car is very expensive, petrol costs up to 4 times more than here. Highway tolls, parking permits, registration, and insurance all add to severely limited mileage and/or multi-car ownership. Mileage per year is usually less than half of what we are used to. In Japan it is not uncommon to spend $150/day to use a car. The owner cannot just park a car either. A permit for parking is also required. An average parking space may cost $700 per month, or more in urban areas. Public parking is also very expensive. Cars are used mainly on weekends, or daily, to get to a train station, or to use other public transportation. Also, cars with any body damage may not be used because the authorities may consider this unsafe. Labor is very expensive, and there is very little aftermarket parts stores, as well as common auto repair service facilities. Therefore, many cars with superficial body damage, and perfect low-mileage engines and transmissions are recycled.

Cars registered in Japan must meet very strict and comprehensive tests, initially after 3 years and then every 2 years. The cost of complying with these test standards can run as much as 30% of the vehicle value. There are few cars over 6 years old still in service. Cars are recycled early. Usually after 4 years old, the owner has to pay the yard to recycle the vehicle. Compound these costs, with the Japanese consumers' propensity to drive only the latest models, and the result is a tremendous quantity of low mileage engines and transmissions being recycled or retired prematurely. This is why owning a vehicle in Japan could be considered a luxury.

These used engines are available from Japan because of a combination of factors. The first is that since the country is an island, the climate in Japan causes cars to rust out in a very short time. Secondly, Japan has a strict bi-annual inspection of nearly 50 systems and components ( including visual condition) and repair costs are extremely high. Lastly, tax on Japanese vehicles increases as the car gets older. As a result of these factors, vehicles in Japan suffer from quick depreciation and it becomes cheaper to replace a used car rather than continue its maintenance. These laws were most likely initiated to reduce their vehicle population problem without reducing new vehicle sales in the Japanese domestic market. This has had a positive effect on many aspects of the automotive industry, including increased new car sales, lower production cost, technological advancement of new models, improved air quality, and safety.

Since many Japanese cars are recycled long before ours equivalent, it is easy to see why high quality low mileage Japanese motors are readily available on the local market.

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
good info there.... didnt know that owning a car is so hard in japan.... last time i watched fifth gear, they said people in japan are investing in cars rather than houses/land because japan is prone to earthquakes, land/house value there will depreciate....

drMpower

May 1, 2006
yeah..some friends got back from Japan studying also say the same. the parking lot is expensive.but the car price is fair actually. its the maintenance and operating cost that actually out of reach for many of them in Japan.

not so sure about the climate thing. but causing rust to the bodies after short while? I thought all got anti-rust warranty for 5 years, right? whatever..

but the selling price is quite cheap actually. got friends bringing back their Harriers, Skylines, BMWs.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
no wonder kedai potong business in Malaysia is triving ......

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Just adding small info which i read ..

The term JDM Japan domestic market (JDM) is used to describe Japan's market for purchasing things, chiefly automobiles and parts. A similar term, United States domestic market (USDM) is used to differentiate US-only vehicles and products.

Some people interpret "M" as model. The term also pertains to the parts and products only available within the specific local Marketplace. Therefore, unless you are in Japan, parts have to be specifically imported to your target nation. There are a variety of importers that bring in these parts and have now expanded what once was a JDM only product into other marketplaces.

In recent years the popularity of JDM auto parts within the United States has grown significantly as a result of the import tuning wave. Part of the reasoning behind this could be associated with drifting, a Japanese motorsport that has only just recently made its way to U.S. soil. As a result it is often believed that Japanese companies, because of their experience in developing parts for cars involved in drifting, and circuit racing have superior experience with further developing the capabilities of cars -

What also sets JDM parts aside from others is the fact that Japanese vehicles often differ in features and equipment from vehicles sold elsewhere. In the case of Honda specifically, there have been different versions of the famed Type R B18C, B16B and K20A engines which were sent to other markets. Typically export versions of JDM engines have been "detuned" because Japanese Gasoline (Petrol) is of a higher quality than that of The USA.

JDM imports are extremely popular world wide and have created a whole sub-culture involving the street scene and motor racing. Many consumers prefer JDM imports to their own domestic models as they are often better spec'd and tuned, they can also offer very good value for money.

Kyoichi(Emperor)

Known Member
Nov 7, 2005
wow, excellent info, thanks..............jdm car sure is better.............i experienced it before.

chipstar

Known Member
Aug 11, 2005
kl
The syaken or car inspection as u guys know it is not that strict to pass.If your car's outer looks seem sturdy enough u should still pass the test unless it looks like a battered sandwich bread.Small rust dent here and there wont matter much to the eyes of those inspector.What matters is your car is fit and safe enough to be driven on t he road.
What disappoints me most is for those cars to be scrap they always give priority o ship cars outside Japan.When i go to junkyard to buy parts theres only unwanted or non popular car models left to salvage.
I know this because I see marks on those cars waiting to shipped marked half-cut.Hard nowadays to salvage second hand parts anymore.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
i heard, the car park size also differs. 'kei' cars have their own parking lot. no Lancer or Stream can just squeeze in there. that's one thing k car owners enjoy in Japan - where it originally began.

one thing to note - JDM cars are very cheap there but owners have to compensate many other factors like toll, cost of keeping the car longer, taxes and such. and all in all, i believe owning a car in malaysia is cheaper after all. even if the buying cost is higher.

singapore practise COE (certificate of entitlement) to control number of vehicles growth.

in London, we must pay toll (5 pound sterling i think) every time we enter city centre. very effective i believe.

In malaysia - no need control one. malaysia is proud to register about 450,000 new cars every year. from the figure, add another 150,000 to KL roads. and no wonder traffic situation is worse every day.

malaysia boleh!!

putra4767

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
So, getting a halfcut here is almost guranteed to be in good condition & surely
better then our xisting engines.....

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
In recent years the popularity of JDM auto parts within the United States has grown significantly as a result of the import tuning wave. Part of the reasoning behind this could be associated with drifting, a Japanese motorsport that has only just recently made its way to U.S. soil.
not sure thats the case (drifting), i think the import culture blossomed when a certain "VTEK":angel_smile: (B16 etc) blasted the drag strips

the boom culture to me was definately the civics & all the go-fast stuffs. heck they also made a certain fast-somoething movie in US about the import culture....cant figure the name..hmmm...was it fast2fast?...2fasterfast??:angel_smile:

drifting scene only brought in a little more awareness but i were to point a single make that brought the attention of JDM culture; is the HONDA's VTec into small compact cars.

because of import culture

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I m considering to get either a DC5 or silvia s15 NA.In terms of pricing of parts,maintenance,stabilility,durability of the car and the resell value,which
one will be better?and which car gets broken into more or stolen?tx to all the
sifus for adavance advises! Hope i can decide ..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience