About Brakes!

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Hey guys,
not sure whether this topic have been discussed before but i believe that it's one of the most important aspect when modifying a car.No point having 200horses under ur hood and not be able to brake in time when a granny jumps out from the side of the road.Hehe i have ran up a kerb due to brakes locking up after my ABS failed.
So, some sifus and tuners might have some information and myths to bust.
1) Myth or truth:Ventilated or slotted disc eliminates brake fade.
2)Myth or truth:Branded pads improves braking grip and eliminates brake fade.
3)Myth or truth:Braided brake lines improve braking force.
4)Myth or truth:Disc warp due to sudden change of temperature.ie:hard braking and running over a puddle of water.
5)Myth or truth:ABS improves braking distance.
6)Myth or truth:ABS eliminates skidding(which i think is truth.experience it myself)

So guys do feel free to give ur views as most of us can learn from this and improve our braking capability and save a granny.:nurse:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
no.3....although not common....ive read a coupla cases of braided brake hoses bursting without any warning....

i actually have busted one braided brake hose....back when i was 'learning' how to heel & toe...did it wrongly then...no brakes....luckily i was at an empty space

i was using Pro-RS, so far ive not read of any bursting...but mine has over a failed beginner heel & toe attempt....shud it have busted i dont noe

but bursting aside, it gets rid of the brake pedal's spongy feeling, nice and tight :biggrin:

i am using Pro RS brake pads as well, it bites really hard once warmed up, perfect for the street daily driver BUT a bit tricky if car is used on an autokhana-like-track or for very enthusiastic driving...there will be sudden brake fade, after 2-3 corners it will be ok again...if not mistaken, i read somewhere that this is due to the accumulation of brake dust or something, where installation of slotted/vented disc brakes will solve the problem

Last edited:

wonderkid

500 RPM
Jul 8, 2005
Labuan & Sabah
branded brake pads can improves braking grip, but not sure if it eliminated brake fade. I think no.2 and no. 3 is true (from my driving experience)

Mar 21, 2008
No.1 is TRUE ! But coupled with high temp brake pads, it works better than normal ventilated disc. Then drill/slotted disc brakes respond better by 40%. The slots works like "slicers" to slice away the brake dusts (as per-mentioned by tofu), but your brakepads worn out pretty fast compared to normal rotors. But that is the price to pay for ultimate braking respond. But you should buy good ones, local made easily crack, the quality is not there.

Last edited:

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Oh good feedback.I'm actually thinking of either upgrading to twinpot from earlier versions evo or change to braided hose and slotted disc as when i'm doing some hard driving and braking my steering vibrates violently although it has been skim.I did read somewhere too that sometimes it's not disc warp but dust that melted or something accumulating on the disc.

Mar 21, 2008
turbolover, (If ur car stil N/A)

If you know how to use engine braking, not neccesary to use 4pot brakes, or 2pot, bigger crossdrilled/ventilated disc with a single pot is enough to stop you. Coz u drive on road, not entering A1GP :rofl:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
Oh good feedback.I'm actually thinking of either upgrading to twinpot from earlier versions evo or change to braided hose and slotted disc as when i'm doing some hard driving and braking my steering vibrates violently although it has been skim.I did read somewhere too that sometimes it's not disc warp but dust that melted or something accumulating on the disc.
twinpot, project mju rotors, project mju pads, steel braided hoses. gives a new definition of BRAKING hehehe...

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
bro Tofu,

Mind to share more on how did the brake hose burst?
I think its quite a scary experience to face with bursted brake hose during spirited driving, rite?:embarassed:
If the car is in the hands of people with slow response like me, maybe will end up inside a longkang..:help:
Issit that the disk brake is overstressed, like accelerating and braking hard at the same time?

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
brake fade is due to high temperature.. therefore if u buy pads with higher temperature rating brake fade can be reduced but once it reaches it maximum operating temperature the it will fade.. branded pads u can trust if they tell u operating temperature up to 400 c or what ever they claim.. but u cant trust non branded pads claim.. corrrect me if im wrong..

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
turbolover, (If ur car stil N/A)

If you know how to use engine braking, not neccesary to use 4pot brakes, or 2pot, bigger crossdrilled/ventilated disc with a single pot is enough to stop you. Coz u drive on road, not entering A1GP :rofl:
Eh my car standard gsr turbo but even now i think it's ok but just that i hate it when i do some hard braking it fades and the steering vibrates.Even the honda accord that i drive every now and then also suffer the same fate.skimmed but still fades.Thats why i wanna upgrade it.probably with slotted and drilled rotors made of cast iron(unwarpable,thats what the advert says.haha),braided hose and pads.i think that should be sufficient right?

Bump:
brake fade is due to high temperature.. therefore if u buy pads with higher temperature rating brake fade can be reduced but once it reaches it maximum operating temperature the it will fade.. branded pads u can trust if they tell u operating temperature up to 400 c or what ever they claim.. but u cant trust non branded pads claim.. corrrect me if im wrong..
Any branded pads u wanna recommend me?hehe.price also pls.Thanks.

Bump:
twinpot, project mju rotors, project mju pads, steel braided hoses. gives a new definition of BRAKING hehehe...
Bro,
the one u just suggested will burn a hole in my pocket:biggrin:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys,
not sure whether this topic have been discussed before but i believe that it's one of the most important aspect when modifying a car.No point having 200horses under ur hood and not be able to brake in time when a granny jumps out from the side of the road.Hehe i have ran up a kerb due to brakes locking up after my ABS failed.
So, some sifus and tuners might have some information and myths to bust.
1) Myth or truth:Ventilated or slotted disc eliminates brake fade.
2)Myth or truth:Branded pads improves braking grip and eliminates brake fade.
3)Myth or truth:Braided brake lines improve braking force.
4)Myth or truth:Disc warp due to sudden change of temperature.ie:hard braking and running over a puddle of water.
5)Myth or truth:ABS improves braking distance.
6)Myth or truth:ABS eliminates skidding(which i think is truth.experience it myself)

So guys do feel free to give ur views as most of us can learn from this and improve our braking capability and save a granny.:nurse:
1. both eliminates brake fades
2. both does , but do know materials are not the same, characteriscs will change , working temperature would differ , most of performance clutch would need warmups
3. i take brake lines more for safety precautions rather than performance , it of cos makes it more responsive , bt please do eliminate the rubber ones so u have steel braided ones for lost lasting
4. yes it will warp no matter wht brake rotors u use
5. ABS improves safety not distance , if you jam your brakes and star to skid it will bring ur distance further , play with the brakes more often so u get used to pump the brakes. And please use sticky tires if u wish to brake hard, good tyres + hard braking = no skidding

Bump: wht i used was , project miu rotors , new millennium merdeka race overstock pads , pro rs brake lines huhuhu, those were the days in sepang :P

Bump: wht i used was , project miu rotors , new millennium merdeka race overstock pads , pro rs brake lines huhuhu, those were the days in sepang :P

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Jinkl?got freebies ah?haha reminds me of the times when i was with my previous company.Lots of freebies.hehe

Bump: Jinkl?got freebies ah?haha reminds me of the times when i was with my previous company.Lots of freebies.hehe

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
bro Tofu,

Mind to share more on how did the brake hose burst?
I think its quite a scary experience to face with bursted brake hose during spirited driving, rite?:embarassed:
If the car is in the hands of people with slow response like me, maybe will end up inside a longkang..:help:
Issit that the disk brake is overstressed, like accelerating and braking hard at the same time?
haha could be

one point of view that ive read up, is that with stock rubber hoses, brake pedal will get spongy over time, signalling the time to new ones, u can get an early 'warning' from the sponginess

with braided hoses, there is no tell-tale signs of it dying until it suddenly bursts, no warning

ive read in some forums that it if u wanna use braided hoses, it is wise to change it every coupla years or so...like u do with normal brake hoses

oh well....kinda nooby bout these things

Bump:
5. ABS improves safety not distance , if you jam your brakes and star to skid it will bring ur distance further , play with the brakes more often so u get used to pump the brakes. And please use sticky tires if u wish to brake hard, good tyres + hard braking = no skidding
u mean u shud pump the brakes even in an ABS-equipped car?

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
No la i don't think jinkl meant to pump the brakes on ABS equip car.it will result in a negative way right?

Bump: No la i don't think jinkl meant to pump the brakes on ABS equip car.it will result in a negative way right?

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
if i recall correctly ive read sumwhere that it will interfere with how the abs is supposed to work...or sumthing like that hehe brake noob here

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Anyone tried Improve brand before?Ya Improve is the brand.hehe.saw it in hypertune

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
ops, i made it too short, wht i mean is that, if u r on a non abs car, pump the brakes

and pads err u can contact AFI , they will sell the MME pads to you, they dont produce for all cars, as i know 1.6/1.8 calipers , vr4/evo calipers are available, lolx no packing at times, only dust and dirt on it lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

last time i was at taiping also cannot find any shop sell motul. Ipoh only got at the famous falken tyre shop and the zerofour. also notice one shop with motul signboard near the menglembu - falim junction. not sure they got the engine oil or not.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience