328i Lost to A4T

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
HanJackaL said:
Why cant you just buy the M3 then super charge it instead of buying 330 CI and supercharged?U will get more power out of a super charged M3 right ?
If your refering to me.. I like M3's but having a model under the M3 and leaving it behind at the lights is what I want. Plus there the premium between a 330 and M3. This extra cash is for modding.
:)

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
boggysv said:
either you are always reading only about bmw and not enough of the other manufacturers, or you just dont want to acknowledge them.
Mate.. Don't take me as a BMW fan boy nut craze guy..
I was refering the detailed targets to the 50bhp per 500cc on the V10 5.0 M5.

In the power wars game BMW is losing out to the likes of Merc etc. These days most people who buys these things is for the power. It's Power per Dollar. Note that I stated the similarities in price within the BMW models.

boggysv said:
understated power figures? AMG does that, Audi does that, Porsche does that...manage to find them out, and I might just send you a candy:_:
I guess you took what I said in the wrong way.. I meant underpowered. Oh.. and you forgot to mention the Japs...

boggysv said:
THe B5 S4 was a gem to mod, Audi's step to go with NA V8 was a disappointing news to most anthusiast.
I was refering to the N/A S4. RS4 is good.

boggysv said:
And on the contary, I heard lots of horror stories from sc'ed e46 m3 owners. not many of them dare to use it as a daily commuter. I suppose that I am happy that bmw is finally venturing into turbo platforms? As much as I enjoy driving, I am sadly stuck in traffic jams most of the time, so, unless bmw starts making better interiors, my plan to go for a A4 remains unchanged.
That's funny... BMW engines are much stronger than Japs and can run an AFR of 12-13 on Forced Induction.
A lot of them are probally poorly tuned. You can tune any engine in any way you like as long as you understand it and do it right. It's not hard when you are running 95-100% octane. I run 98. Those horror stories if you note.. they would be running 91-93 octane which is not recomended even with the newer jap cars these days. I've heard of a turbo'd M3 and that engine blew because of poor fuel and misjudgement in thinking by adding more fuel to enrich the AFR mixture.

If your looking for interior, turn to merc. For driving pleasure, look elsewhere. Personally I don't like the characteristics of the Audi cars. It's more in between Merc and BMW, hasn't matched BMW yet in terms of chassis, handling, balance etc, especially compared to the M division. Engine's are good though. Latest V10 5.2 420bhp sounds old in figure.

boggysv said:
have fun with your car. right now, I'm stuck with buses.
I'm having lots of fun with it. :)

Last edited:

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
jugbugz said:
That's funny... BMW engines are much stronger than Japs and can run an AFR of 12-13 on Forced Induction.
A lot of them are probally poorly tuned. You can tune any engine in any way you like as long as you understand it and do it right. It's not hard when you are running 95-100% octane. I run 98. Those horror stories if you note.. they would be running 91-93 octane which is not recomended even with the newer jap cars these days. I've heard of a turbo'd M3 and that engine blew because of poor fuel and misjudgement in thinking by adding more fuel to enrich the AFR mixture.
well, I do not own a force inducted M3, so I cant make any claims. It's just that on the audi boards I visit, I often see owners linking to stories of a M3 engine problem, either their own or a friends. They seem to be a technical bunch,but maybe it was biased...
(not to mention audi has it's own fair share of fried turbos and blown hoses too)

nobody can deny that the M3 has a very high compresison ratio to begin with. simply adding more air and fuel in there is very risky business. Anyways, imho, the M3 is overplayed in malaysia. Debadge a S4 and nobody would suspect a thing:_:

*btw, merc interior is just not my cup of tea

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
jugbugz said:
Engine's are good though. Latest V10 5.2 420bhp sounds old in figure.
Me thinks that is just product placement, they need to make room for the RS versions. Just like what Prosche does with the Cayman and Boxster, trying very hard not to upset their own applecart by upstaging the 911 in performance figures, which the Cayman had all likelihood of doing.

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
whoa..!!! its been a long time since I log on here.... Nice discussion here eh..??

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
si|verfish said:
Me thinks that is just product placement, they need to make room for the RS versions. Just like what Prosche does with the Cayman and Boxster, trying very hard not to upset their own applecart by upstaging the 911 in performance figures, which the Cayman had all likelihood of doing.
That's true but why not atleast up around 460-480bhp? 5.2 V10 with 420bhp is pretty underpowered for such engine with that capacity and cylinders if you compare with aussie V8's. Let's see what they can do with twin turbos.. :)

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
boggysv said:
well, I do not own a force inducted M3, so I cant make any claims. It's just that on the audi boards I visit, I often see owners linking to stories of a M3 engine problem, either their own or a friends. They seem to be a technical bunch,but maybe it was biased...
(not to mention audi has it's own fair share of fried turbos and blown hoses too)

nobody can deny that the M3 has a very high compresison ratio to begin with. simply adding more air and fuel in there is very risky business. Anyways, imho, the M3 is overplayed in malaysia. Debadge a S4 and nobody would suspect a thing:_:

*btw, merc interior is just not my cup of tea
Well blowing an M3 engine is obviously due to poor judgement and tuning. Everyone knows it can safely be boosted to 5.5psi without lowering the compression.. that would give you about 350rwhp on a dyno dynamics and 390rwhp on a dynojet.

i admit back few years ago it was a hard process but now these days you hear and see many FI M3's around the world going beyond 5.5psi to around 9+psi. I saw a dyno sheet from ESS Tuning which had a S/C E46 M3 on 9psi that made 490rwhp on a dynojet dyno. These days it's easy.. :) But don't know how long the engine would last as BMW engineers said the S54 engine is already quite stressed as it is N/A.

Gdluck to all those owners of FI M3's. :)

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
zoggee said:
whoa..!!! its been a long time since I log on here.... Nice discussion here eh..??
Nice drift... is that yours?? :)

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
BTW guys..

I just finished my dyno yesterday and was surprissed..

It made 273.5rwhp / 203.9rwkw on dyno dynamics @ 6.3psi... if I'm right that about 300rwhp on a dynojet dyno... :D Pretty cool considering it's a steptronic... I still gotta add 1 more psi which would hopefully break the 300rwhp... :)

click the link on my signature and browse to page 2 to see the dyno sheets.

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
jugbugz said:
Nice drift... is that yours?? :)

yeap....:cyclops:

You really know ur stuff eh..???:regular_smile:

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
The more I look at E30 M3's the more it's slowly growing on me... :)

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
Jugbugz,

I've test drove an E30 with the transplanted S50....it was awesome.!!! Totally awesome.!! But nothing beat the original M3...mind blowing, dude!

I've spent a bomb on my car handling..and it doesnt handle like an M3 at all.

jugbugz

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
zoggee said:
Jugbugz,

I've test drove an E30 with the transplanted S50....it was awesome.!!! Totally awesome.!! But nothing beat the original M3...mind blowing, dude!

I've spent a bomb on my car handling..and it doesnt handle like an M3 at all.
Cool... Do you mean that it handles better or worse? haha just kidding..
I can tell by your drift... it's very very smooth and well balanced... nice setup! :)

I prefer forced induction over transplanted engines and have the original engine in original body.

So are you going to turbo your e30? I bet you could do a drift twice as long as what you did in your pic. 300bhp with torque to match would be very very nice. :)

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
Jugbugz,

Yes..I rather have an original factory rolled out M3s...No doubt.!!

Dude,I'm not that good of a driver....just love to burn some donuts thats all.
I was coming out from a donuts..not a drift ,dude.

there's a vids on my stock M20B25 e30 against my bro's E36328(auto tranny). Go youtube..you'll be able to see from there. Now...his 328 is on a stick.!! I have to issues with BMW running on stick.

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
Wow..... you guys are real petrol heads...

On the contrary, i do agree that Audis are currently still not on par with BMWs as having the same driving dynamics, fun oversteer and sharp handling etc.... but thats due their believe in quattro that led the engine sitting on the front wheels.. and quattros are good for tracks.....

Merc interiors? hmm it's like a mix and match of chocolate candy bars with smooth layered caramel .... i liked Audi's industrial, briefcase-like looks.