200bhp NA v/s 200bhp turbo

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
just curious becoz i never had a turbo car before...

which one u guys prefer if we compare 200bhp NA and 200bhp Turbo in same car..meaning everything is indentical except for one is NA and the other is Turbo...

maybe u guys who had experience owning both type of engine can share with us what are the diferences, pros n cons...

tq

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
if all variables are the same (traction, gear ratio, same tuner, similar level of supporting mods), of course turbo cos it has got more torque. but in real life, 200hp NA will beat the crap out of 200hp turbo cos 200hp NA is usually extensively modified (except for K-series or other big displacement NA) n 200hp turbo is usually stock or slightly modified. example 200hp vr4 vs 200hp b20 vtec.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
depends heavily on the displacement and for what use...

but if take example 1.6liter engine for daily use...surely i would go for turbo....

if 1.6liter for racing then i would choose N/A with better throttle response instead of a turbo which normally got huge turbo lag for that kind of horsepower...and i just love the sounds of screaming n/a potter...

:adore: thats what i'm thinking about....

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
EGNINE: 1 of the Hot Version episode explained that, N/A is always without lag, and the power comes in so directly the moment u step on ur gas pedal. Unlike turbo, we have to wait for the turbo to spool and reaches it full boost - turbo lag. Maybe using anti lag will help..but i couldn't afford to buy myself a ECU with anti lag system..therefore i can't tell whether the result will be the same or better if i'm equipped with anti lag.

HotVersion: YouTube - Battles at 10,000rpm - Hot Version International

I used to have a Wira GSR 9 years back, and i did dyno on DynoDynamics and got 189hp on wheel(not high hp laaa). While a friend of mine owned a honda EK with B16, mod up to 185hp on wheel and KAAZ 3,4,5 and he did his dyno at DynoJet. So..we all know that the DynoJet figure is slightly higher than DynoDynamics, maybe he will get another 5-10%hp lesser in dynodynamics i assume? No matter what..my whp is definitely higher than the EK.

When we put the car side by side, and a "starter" was standing in the middle of us. When starter counts to 3..Both of us managed to launch the car at the same time without any mistakes, but the EK just left me a few empty car space when we both launched till the finishing. That's why gear ratio is very important...not just hp.

Again say..If comparing 200hp 4g93 turbo vs N/a or a 1.8 Mivec, but using the same 1.8 gearbox, same tyre, same rim, same skill driver. I'll put my money on the 1.8 N/a :)

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
depends heavily on the displacement and for what use...

but if take example 1.6liter engine for daily use...surely i would go for turbo....

if 1.6liter for racing then i would choose N/A with better throttle response instead of a turbo which normally got huge turbo lag for that kind of horsepower...and i just love the sounds of screaming n/a potter...

:adore: thats what i'm thinking about....
200 whp is still very low for a turbo car i feel
with a bigger displacement the turbo will suffer from minimal or zero lag then the turbo is on its way to a easy victory
this is mainly because the turbo will achieve the 200whp much faster than the n/a which has to rev to the moon to obtain that kinda power

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
200bhp NA vs 200bhp Turbo?

Daily use = I prefer turbo:driver:
Track day/session = I prefer NA :adore:

Maybe, it's just me...

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
200 whp is still very low for a turbo car i feel
with a bigger displacement the turbo will suffer from minimal or zero lag then the turbo is on its way to a easy victory
this is mainly because the turbo will achieve the 200whp much faster than the n/a which has to rev to the moon to obtain that kinda power
cause ur e3 engine already more then 200++whp in stock ma......:adore::adore::biggrin::biggrin:

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
it depend on a lot of thing. what is the displacement of 200bhp N/A? and what is the displacement of the 2.0 turbo? for N/A, smaller cc required higher rpm to achieve that figure. for turbo, the smaller cc required more boost (or maybe rev) to achieve the figure. lets take the normal condition one. a 1.8 N/A and 2.0 turbo. the N/A achieve 200bhp @9500rpm and the turbo achieve 200bhp @ 6000rpm. both have same amount of power at the said rpm. but below than the rpm, turbo have richer power@torque compare to N/A. If u compare in 300 @ 400m drag, the N/A may stand a better chance to win (same @ almost same weight, tyre, drivetrain, ratio and etc). this is because, in this kind of drag (let say 300m) u only have maybe 9-12second of time of transfer all the power to the road. and N/A can do this job more efficient compare to turbo (we can understand this by studying between turbo and NA torque curve). lets add up the distance gradually from 300m-350m-400m-450m......., surely u'll see the gap between N/A and turbo become smaller and after one point the turbo must overtake the N/A and win the drag. Turbo always have more power compare to N/A in this case. it have more ability to do WORK compare to N/A. if u really want to know what i say about doing work, put 4 passengers in 200bhp 1.8 N/A car and another 4 passengers in 200bhp 2.0 turbo car and go up to genting. then u'll understand better... :biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
one interesting fact to think in race condition between N/A and turbo.....especially on harsh condition/rally/endurance....

turbo engine just got a lot more mechanical parts working means more parts to fail which in easy words...there was more risk of engine failure.... :biggrin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
kumar - 280++bhp
peterj - 400bhp++
pomen - unknown, but i confirm he has a monster in his garage :)
me - 60bhp - kancil onli.

for me, id prefer n/a for daily driving......turbo for weekend use ")

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
should also remember N/A spin faster most of time than turbo.. do alot more friction than turbo in engine... :biggrin:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
kumar - 280++bhp
peterj - 400bhp++
pomen - unknown, but i confirm he has a monster in his garage :)
me - 60bhp - kancil onli.

for me, id prefer n/a for daily driving......turbo for weekend use ")
no la... wher i got 400 bhp... now maybe same bhp as kumar, or maybe less since he got the lt8 inside his car dy.... while my lt10 still in plastic:biggrin:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
200hp n/a and 200hp turbo? depends on power curve and depends on gear ratio me thinks..others are not so significant.

danz eterna got 60hp - kancil..ok la tu...
me: yamaha nouvo - 15hp only..

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I m considering to get either a DC5 or silvia s15 NA.In terms of pricing of parts,maintenance,stabilility,durability of the car and the resell value,which
one will be better?and which car gets broken into more or stolen?tx to all the
sifus for adavance advises! Hope i can decide ..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience