14bar!

kenzo

6,000 RPM
errr, my advice would get a thicker metal head gasket or methanol injection or e85 hohoho

and plz dont ever skimmed the piston head, im pretty sure head gasket are way cheaper and easier to change rather then blowing a hole in the piston...

apeng

500 RPM
Feb 17, 2004
KL
www.kcarlife.com
hmmmm... hi compression there for L2 engine... btw, what piston do u use? kelisa? 2e? 2e turbo? 3e?

and did your foremen skim the piston before put in the block?

shoot!!! in the 1st post u said that 4piston!?? JBJL? what piston u put?? :hmmmm:

btw, rugi if use 2 metal gasket rather than skim the piston...

last time im using 2e piston in L2 can stand 2.6bar with skimmed the piston a bit...
yup JBJL...

errr, my advice would get a thicker metal head gasket or methanol injection or e85 hohoho

and plz dont ever skimmed the piston head, im pretty sure head gasket are way cheaper and easier to change rather then blowing a hole in the piston...
noted...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Pistons are normally overdesigned to take more than it suppose to take. Up to a certain extend of course. Double metal gasket can be risky as there are more possibility for the water and oil to mix due to increased chances of uneven head tightening problem.

If skimming pistons are done nicely, problem can be less than a double metal gasket. I've seen ppl using double carbon gasket. But carbon gasket are compressible and metal gasket aren't.

kelvins3281

1,000 RPM
Mar 30, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
Pistons are normally overdesigned to take more than it suppose to take. Up to a certain extend of course. Double metal gasket can be risky as there are more possibility for the water and oil to mix due to increased chances of uneven head tightening problem.

If skimming pistons are done nicely, problem can be less than a double metal gasket. I've seen ppl using double carbon gasket. But carbon gasket are compressible and metal gasket aren't.
Advantage & disadvantage??

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Advantage & disadvantage??
Skimming pistons
Advantages
1) Pistons are over designed and are safe to be minorly modded.
2) CR control are according to desired figure wanted.

Disadvantages
1) We different manufacturer has a different factor of safety on their design. But we don;t know what's the figure. So, up to which extend we can mod the pistons.
2) Require to turun engine in order to remove the pistons. More workmanship required.
3) If anything happen to the pistons, it'll most likely to affect the internals.
4) Require engineering shop to do it.

Multiple gasket
Advantages
1) Lower workmanship and does not require engine removal.
2) Low cost
3) Easily available.
4) can be done by mechanic. No machining required.

Disadvantages
1) More prone to oil leak problem.
2) Can;t control the CR precisely as not all specification metal gasket are available. Either too high or too low.
3) Require skillful mechanic to instal double metal gasket nicely.

kenzo

6,000 RPM
yeah but read back corona statement, for 2.6 bar, i would nvr want to skim my pistons

and its ok to run slightly higher SCR, just so u guyz know, there are evo's with 10.1 compression running around, even 11.1 with e85 or c16

Last edited:

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Skimming pistons
Advantages
1) Pistons are over designed and are safe to be minorly modded.
2) CR control are according to desired figure wanted.

Disadvantages
1) We different manufacturer has a different factor of safety on their design. But we don;t know what's the figure. So, up to which extend we can mod the pistons.
2) Require to turun engine in order to remove the pistons. More workmanship required.
3) If anything happen to the pistons, it'll most likely to affect the internals.
4) Require engineering shop to do it.
that's obviously 4 disadvantages against 2 advantage.
i'll take my chances, i'll go with block spacers.

which also means almost ALL safety factors are intact. why gamble with safety when hp is concerned? :thefinger:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
yeah but read back corona statement, for 2.6 bar, i would nvr want to skim my pistons

and its ok to run slightly higher SCR, just so u guyz know, there are evo's with 10.1 compression running around, even 11.1 with e85 or c16
MUAHAHAHA...!!! If u involve E85 And C16, then u are like slapping ur own mouth brudder... Well DRAG MACHINE...? CAN 1 boosted 3bar + brudder...

2.6 bars on an EVO, Don;t talk about skimming, If i were to do it. Forgies lor... Talking about high CR, B16A BOT On RON 97 Fuel... They can mostly boost 0.6-0.7 bars.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur

we cant apply it here
we dnt have e85 on pump and c16 isnt cheap , so its confirm nt a daily driven one

kenzo

6,000 RPM
im not saying on an evo, and im not saying running e85 for him, wat im trying to say is that he's ok with that amount of compression, most evo which are with 10.1 SCR are running with 92ron and some even boost 14 psi if it is nicely tune and maintain and even DD... and dont say evo, even with kancil boosting 2.6 bar i would nvr recommend them to skim the pistons, thats my point of view, because i dont want the owner regret having to skim his pistons, as if he would ever want to sell that pistons would also be a big problem, just my 2 cents...i rather tune it then skimming my pistons...

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
im not saying on an evo, and im not saying running e85 for him, wat im trying to say is that he's ok with that amount of compression, most evo which are with 10.1 SCR are running with 92ron and some even boost 14 psi if it is nicely tune and maintain and even DD... and dont say evo, even with kancil boosting 2.6 bar i would nvr recommend them to skim the pistons, thats my point of view, because i dont want the owner regret having to skim his pistons, as if he would ever want to sell that pistons would also be a big problem, just my 2 cents...i rather tune it then skimming my pistons...
what he said.

plus, if them guys @ spoon/mugen/AEM/HKS recommend to skim pistons, then i skim oso :biggrin:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
that's obviously 4 disadvantages against 2 advantage.
i'll take my chances, i'll go with block spacers.

which also means almost ALL safety factors are intact. why gamble with safety when hp is concerned? :thefinger:
That's right.

we cant apply it here
we dnt have e85 on pump and c16 isnt cheap , so its confirm nt a daily driven one
Yeah. Spoken from ppl with experience.... He3...

IF and only IF i can be tuned. Read more about flash point for petrol. U'll understand more about the limit of boost and why ppl uses E85 and C16.

what he said.

plus, if them guys @ spoon/mugen/AEM/HKS recommend to skim pistons, then i skim oso :biggrin:
That's right. That's why, non of the BIG TUNER recommended pistons skimming. Neither the double gasket. The most recommended solution is the piston change. He3... But assume when we are discussing about skimming pistons and double gasket, budget are constrain... So... Which is why i mentioned skimming pistons and thicker gasket.

Last edited:

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
That's right. That's why, non of the BIG TUNER recommended pistons skimming. Neither the double gasket. The most recommended solution is the piston change. He3... But assume when we are discussing about skimming pistons and double gasket, budget are constrain... So... Which is why i mentioned skimming pistons and thicker gasket.
we malaysian small-time tuners mah.
gud discussions like this keep the low-budget mods lower :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai all sifu, i need advise for evo3 engine. i am thinking to change my gsr to evo3 engine n how can i c the code for evo3 with vr4 evo1 evo2 coz all these engine code start with 4g63....?? is the maintenance same with gsr wat i mean here is ori evo3. n how bout the fuel comsumption my gsr rm60 can go about 400km like tat. Hope someone can give me some advise me before i transplant the engine
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience