Project " Saving the Old Lady "

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
hi arturo.. yes bro. it was on sale in mudah and i got it from KL. it was able to drive from KL to Penang but was running at 80. Now me still deciding whether SR20 or RB20.
anyways.... what you said is true that there are lots more stuff to take care than the body but it has to start from the body first. the sifu asked me b4 i agree to let him do it was "Are you going to use it for 3 years and sell it off or have it for generations to come?". that's where i decided to ensure the whole body is done properly.
about the other stuff like the absorber, bushes and the rest, i was able to find some parts here and there. I did reply on your other thread. like the absorber, it's using bluebird 910. so i was able to replace 2 fronts. then i replace the clutch pump and also the break sills coz it's leaking oil like no body biznis. for the other's stuff that has not broke down yet, the mechanic told me next time just get them to take out the parts and search for it in physical comparison coz if you gonna ask around about 280zx parts, they gonna tell you a big NO.
good luck in finding one of these beauties coz it took me 2 years to get 1 decent wan.

thanks shy for the compliment.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Wah... im so jealous, I love classic fairladies haha!

I vote for the RB20, sounds so sexy on full throttle. The SR sounds nice too, but the tone like x matching with the looks haha. RB engines sound so sexy :love:

And dude, is that an EG bumper at the front?

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
yea bro.. i was favouring more towards RB20 or RB25. :D
and yes... i believe it's a honda bumper and also the 2 front seats also honda wan. i think the previous owner loves honda. hahahaha.
i am removing both front and rear and also the side skirt. later will look for body shop guy to special made some body kits for the lady. maybe wanna do something like this..

Attachments

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
if i not mistaken he said it was dc2 front seats...if my memory correct...i called him to ask but didnt want to take the car cos engine aredy modified hehehehe

my vote goes for the rb20. since u aredy modded the engine...the car cant qualify for classic status so the bigger the cc...the bigger the roadtax so need to take care...

dfws77...thanks for yr advise over the other side...very hard to get info on this car...wished somebody would sell it with the ori engine. rigth now really preferring a 240z...if not mistake the silver color z picture u posted is a 240z n yah....i much prefer it with the air scoop at the nose. looks more mean hehehehe

LWW...like that oso u noticed hor...now u mentioned it yalah...it does look like a eg6 bumper...but not bad...moded to match. no big gaps.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
@dfws77 Yeah wei... I rather drive it bumperless. Haha thats nice and classy, I like :love:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
im curious that why most of the Z owner here doesn't wanted to maintain the ori L-series instead of convert the engine to RB???

L series engine part hard to obtain,the carbie problemo or low power???

sorry,i just wanna knw why....hehe

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
blank...the l28et power leh....180hp wooor...from wat i read in US forums most of them maintain the ori l28et engine since the power is good, but here u know la, its cheaper to just plonk in an RB n mechs here oso a lot know how to fix n tune n maintain + spareparts easier to find. thats from my understanding la...but i personally prefer to ori engine...more classic mah.

by the way...the L series oso got something called "Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)" not sure if it means it is EFI or carb...anybody knows n can educate?

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
blank...the l28et power leh....180hp wooor...from wat i read in US forums most of them maintain the ori l28et engine since the power is good, but here u know la, its cheaper to just plonk in an RB n mechs here oso a lot know how to fix n tune n maintain + spareparts easier to find. thats from my understanding la...but i personally prefer to ori engine...more classic mah.

by the way...the L series oso got something called "Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)" not sure if it means it is EFI or carb...anybody knows n can educate?
Sounds EFI'd... who ever heard of electronically controlled carbs? :biggrin: Hahaha. Eh but 180hp for a 2800cc car is pretty sad wei. Some more roadtax here in M'sia and all that.

Imagine that VS a stroker RB26 bumped up to the same capacity. Now thats power right there for ya :burnout:

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
hi arturo... no problem with the advice. i just love to share it so that future Z owners will know what to expect. as far as i can tell RB engines are much newer than L engines and are easier to get parts and maintain. here in malaysia, we have limited resources to find parts and to get expertise in maintaining L engines, thus RB engines start to get their way into old Z. whatever it is, whether original L or modified to RB, as long as the owner loves it, that's the only thing that matters. plus RB engines are quite fast: RB20det (210HP) and RB25det (250HP). oh yea, one more thing that all old Z owners shud take note: most old Z will have exhaust fumes problem. i am facing it but will only take care of it later on.

hi LWW... i too love the garang look of the bumperless but also dun want to make it look too garang also coz it's a Lady mah. hahaha.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Haha true true. Hmm so are you gonna mod it retro style, or modernise it? Oh yeah and bro, what was that exhaust fume problem thing youre talking about? :hmmmm: Maaf ye', I very noob 1 :burnout:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
RBs are super fast hahahah

any idea where it might be coming from? maybe u should continue updating this thread with yr own restoration log book? y not mod to the 240z look? i have another idea...get kennyyeoh to draw up a design for u n then u bring the design to yr body shop n ask them fabricate into metal parts...then at the end of the day, u can belanja kenny to a nice dinner for his efforts mah...

LWW...L series engine was from the late 70s wooor...that time 180hp was a lot leh. nowadays even 1.4l engine oso can make 125hp...but honestly la...i feel those old cars got the shape n the metal work is solid...a lot of old E28 is aredy 24 years old but body lines still straight like just out from factory...my EG on the other hand can see waves all along the sides cos the sheet metal too thin...

talking about shape...wat u guys think of the jaguar xjs? another damn sexy car in my mind...

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
RBs are super fast hahahah

any idea where it might be coming from? maybe u should continue updating this thread with yr own restoration log book? y not mod to the 240z look? i have another idea...get kennyyeoh to draw up a design for u n then u bring the design to yr body shop n ask them fabricate into metal parts...then at the end of the day, u can belanja kenny to a nice dinner for his efforts mah...

LWW...L series engine was from the late 70s wooor...that time 180hp was a lot leh. nowadays even 1.4l engine oso can make 125hp...but honestly la...i feel those old cars got the shape n the metal work is solid...a lot of old E28 is aredy 24 years old but body lines still straight like just out from factory...my EG on the other hand can see waves all along the sides cos the sheet metal too thin...

talking about shape...wat u guys think of the jaguar xjs? another damn sexy car in my mind...
Haha I bet my friend can draw a better design than kenny, no offence... eh maybe we should poison him with bodywork designs wei. Kasi idea here and there :idea:

True true. My AD's body is like tofu lah, kena langgar the whole thng just crumples :bawling:. Jaguar XJS's are nice, how bout the e-type?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
wah....e-type a little too rare n pricey wooor. i never saw 1 for sale in Malaysia b4 loh. agak agak the price will be about 1.4k?

haiya...nice not nice depends on who looking 1 la. but ask yr fren draw n send to dfws77 n see if he likes it or not la. must always have a few designs first before can decide mah.

LWW...i think tofu wrong comparison la...more like roti tisu? i know mine is like that loh hahahha

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
wah....e-type a little too rare n pricey wooor. i never saw 1 for sale in Malaysia b4 loh. agak agak the price will be about 1.4k?

haiya...nice not nice depends on who looking 1 la. but ask yr fren draw n send to dfws77 n see if he likes it or not la. must always have a few designs first before can decide mah.

LWW...i think tofu wrong comparison la...more like roti tisu? i know mine is like that loh hahahha
Hehe but its so sexy... with the weber's and all :love:. I love classic cars... I wouldnt know, wanna check MUDAH? :biggrin:

Nah im not saying it isnt nice, im saying bombard him with poison hahaha, make him have trouble choosing, we all can also enjoy seeing all the sexy sexy fairlady pictures here also :burnout:.

WALAO, roti tisu = Knock one time it crumbles meh? Okay lah mines more like, uhm, plastic? Press hard enough it dents then pops back out :idea:

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
aiseh you all... dun la make me spend so much la. i also ada budget tight tight wan. sumore want to poison me. hahahahaha. but it's good to have more ideas. :D
so far i have spent about 3K liao.
2 front absorber - RM400
2 rear break sill - RM100
air cond new - RM2000
clutch pump - RM100
new windscreen weather strip with anti rust - RM500
all these still not see anything yet. got more more to come later. sure stim wan.

about the exhaust fumes problem... this will happen mostly on old hatch back cars. now whenever i drive, i can smell exhaust and when i come out from the car, i smell like me car liao. this wan may due to alot of problem such as rust holes from car body, leakage holes from hatch back door or rubber strip, tail lights and alot more. this fumes can kill so need to settle it as fast as possible.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Oh I see... so you need to send the car for 'patchworks' huh?

Im still going to try to poison you, hehe :burnout:.

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
jaguar XJS was one of my fave. got the look, the style, the sound and the feel. you can get it between rm55K - 80K depending on the year and also who is the owner. only thing that makes me think twice of getting the XJS is the parts and also ol skool mechanics that knows how to service jag's engine.
old japanese car is easier to maintain than old euro cars. it's just my thought la.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

LWW.. you banyak jahat mau buat saya belanja ya. hahahaha. i got some ideas in mind but all round back to my pocket la.
the patch work is work in progress during the anti rust session. so the sifu will kautim all la.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
jaguar XJS was one of my fave. got the look, the style, the sound and the feel. you can get it between rm55K - 80K depending on the year and also who is the owner. only thing that makes me think twice of getting the XJS is the parts and also ol skool mechanics that knows how to service jag's engine.
old japanese car is easier to maintain than old euro cars. it's just my thought la.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

LWW.. you banyak jahat mau buat saya belanja ya. hahahaha. i got some ideas in mind but all round back to my pocket la.
the patch work is work in progress during the anti rust session. so the sifu will kautim all la.
Picture only ma bro, tengok tengok see how you like it :rolleyes:... Oh and the XJS, why not pop in a RB25 or something? Just my 2 cents.

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
:biggrin:

bro LWW... there a lot of super designers out there.. i wouldnt be surprise that your friend is better... :adore::proud:

anyway poison below....:biggrin:

let the racun begin..:biggrin:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
this car needs beefy deep dish rims...not so low profile tyres n huge grills...n a small duck tail spoiler

XJS with RB25 ar? xjs is 3.6l originally...so i was thinking supra 2jz inside? but i'm not so interested in turbos...more prefer NA or SC...wat other engines can fit ar? 55k is about that range la...but i remember topgear buying an old xjs n playing around with it...for them is old cheap junker...for us, it still costs the same with a new family sedan!

dfws77...if u need a new windscreen, let me know cos i already sourced for a new set but no use to me since the car i targeted already taken up. blardy regretting it till now...oh another thing...if u wanna custom make absorbers for yr old lady...maybe lowered it a little...maybe can get somebody to custom make it? titan racing might be able to come up with something...about the exhaust fumes thing...it could be as u say...a leak in the rear somewhere cos when u driving, the inside of the car becomes a low pressure zone and the outside becomes a high pressure zone esp the under esp the rear lower end...so the exhaust fumes would be sucked into the car...normally ppl will check that area for leaks.

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
kenny: nice design you got there but i am looking more abit garang face. i want to turn the Lady to a beast but also got the lady look. hahahaha. and also may think to get a 2 GT white stripe.

arturo: what you said is right. mothernature invented vacuum. these are the aerodynamics feature that suck the fumes in right into the car if the body has leakage.
so far i am not going to custom design the car much. only the bumper nia. the rest i will use whatever it has. i was thinking of changing the absorber but maybe will be later. use until koyak first. hahaha. as for the windscreen bro.. that is for 280zx or other model?
last night i went to the sifu's place to take a look at the car... shocking man. i saw the real bad shape of the car after they remove the bumpers and side skirts. they have to get metal sheets and re-do the body work. it's gonna take alot of time. this wan no choice coz getting old classic cars need two things. time and money. sheeeesh.

i saw in mudah got opel manta for sale. it's a very nice classic car. it's doen't have the sporty look like the Z but it has the muscle look. if you guys interested.. can check it out in mudah. quite cheap also he sell. RM6500 without engine and RM9000 with SR20DET.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
@ Kenny: You know what? I think he's going to have a lot of competetion with you haha :burnout:, your drawing makes it look like an alfa... classy :love:!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm driving a 2000 Proton Iswara 1.3...but i have a 1979 Honda Accord which i plan to modify it in future...the car is originally 1.6...i plan to put B18C engine ....maybe wit Jackson Racing Supercharger...any comments ???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience