Good performing automatic sedan that you can drive everyday.

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's what got me thinking too. I consulted my mechanic, his theory is 2 small coolers is better than 1 large cooler.
You must think of the mounting location and also the hoses, whether the flow is smooth or not and with two coolers circulation time also longer. Probably pump also need to work harder....:hmmmm:

duhill

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
Buy a Myvi (or anything practical) for daily use and buy the Evo u always dream off. What's the point of having a dream and not achieving it?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So... Evo thread part 2 eh? I'm away 1 day and it's already garnered 3 pages :biggrin:

That's what got me thinking too. I consulted my mechanic, his theory is 2 small coolers is better than 1 large cooler.
I'm sorry but I have to say this : Your mech is an idiot.

having two coolers in series is pointless. There is only so much surface area these small coolers have and that means there's only so much it can cool. And introducing another cooler there means more plumbing and therefore more places for it to fail. Also, it's likely you're increasing the amount of oil pressure needed to pump the oil through those coolers.

And if you think about it, say the oil is cooled down a few degrees by cooler #1, it's now being pumped into cooler #2 which is probably the same size and design, depending on how your plumbing is done, you'll slow down the flow of the oil and it might reduce the oil temp a little more but why would you want to slow down the flow?

You're better off with one efficient and larger cooler than 2 smaller ones. And use better ATF. Some good ATFs can survive a thrashing at Sepang and still be in pretty good shape after that. Like the Diaqueen series from Mitsu themselves.

1.) 2009 Audi A4 (B8) 1.8 TFSI - RM95000 - RM115000.
2.) 2010 Alfa Romeo 2.2 JTS - RM90000
3.) 2012 Lexus IS250 - RM105000
4.) 2008 Subaru Legacy GT -RM77000 (low mileage)
5.) 2010 Mazda 6 2.5 - RM75000
#1 - Whilst it's a nice drive, it's not so nice to maintain. A car of that age would mean it's starting to have big bills.

#2 - Nice car, but finicky. Need a lot of attention.

#3 - Bloody nice car, just that rear seats kinda small. If you're complaining about the 323i, this would be just as if not smaller. Otherwise it's a good buy.

#4 - Nice car. Boxer. Subaru. Lots of PNP WRX / Impreza parts. Closest thing to Evo in this list.

#5 - I dunno why this car is in the list. Again, it's 6 years old, it's almost due for a lot of major repairs. Check mileage before buying this tank of a car. Very comfy very easy to drive, just very large. But if you have a Lancer, you don't need a Mazda 6.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
To be honest, you need not to worry much about finding CVT lying around in junkyard. Assuming in the future, you will have better income and career than now, you can straight away source for a new unit of the Invecs III CVT gearbox. Since Proton has rebadged the Lancer into Inspira, perhaps you can get the gearbox through Proton.

Suspension you changed the whole thing or just certain parts? 4 pot brakes is also considered as mod. Maybe you are using Brembo or Endless 4 pot, I don't know, haha. :biggrin:
Well if i am keeping the car long enough, i would want to transplant ralliart 4B11T and the SST gearbox. But the concern is, how to make the SST as FWD instead AWD. Well if really need the real differential in order to transplant SST guess i have no choice to transplant the whole thing, including the ACD. To be honest, i want the car stay FWD while having SST and 4B11T. Don't know is it achievable or not.

For my LGT, i changed to 16 steps hi-lo GAB SE, not the best suspension but it does the job great, bumpy on certain roads. So far all the passengers i fetched couldn't tell the difference yet. Hahaha i'm using Sumitomo 4 pots from Silvia S15. Fabricated the bracket. In future if got budget, i am going for Evo X knuckle and front brembo 4 pots, not need bracket as it will be much safer.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
You must think of the mounting location and also the hoses, whether the flow is smooth or not and with two coolers circulation time also longer. Probably pump also need to work harder....:hmmmm:
Yes you have educated me once again. Thank you ! Perhaps i will just uprated the CVT cooler again, its' now using CVT cooler from 2.4 Lancer sportback.

Buy a Myvi (or anything practical) for daily use and buy the Evo u always dream off. What's the point of having a dream and not achieving it?
I have a practical car in use now, and its much better than Myvi, would i downgrade when i can upgrade? Evo dream can slowly achieve, even how bad i want it, currently there are too few units in the market. For the past 3 months i already test drove 3 units of E8, 1 E9 and 1 E7. I'm stopping the search for the moment in order for my financial strength to be stronger, focus on my job and weekend workouts now. After calculations from many bros in ZTH, suggested that i could afford the car but maintenance wise, its still another challenge.

So... Evo thread part 2 eh? I'm away 1 day and it's already garnered 3 pages :biggrin:

I'm sorry but I have to say this : Your mech is an idiot.

having two coolers in series is pointless. There is only so much surface area these small coolers have and that means there's only so much it can cool. And introducing another cooler there means more plumbing and therefore more places for it to fail. Also, it's likely you're increasing the amount of oil pressure needed to pump the oil through those coolers.

And if you think about it, say the oil is cooled down a few degrees by cooler #1, it's now being pumped into cooler #2 which is probably the same size and design, depending on how your plumbing is done, you'll slow down the flow of the oil and it might reduce the oil temp a little more but why would you want to slow down the flow?

You're better off with one efficient and larger cooler than 2 smaller ones. And use better ATF. Some good ATFs can survive a thrashing at Sepang and still be in pretty good shape after that. Like the Diaqueen series from Mitsu themselves.

#1 - Whilst it's a nice drive, it's not so nice to maintain. A car of that age would mean it's starting to have big bills.

#2 - Nice car, but finicky. Need a lot of attention.

#3 - Bloody nice car, just that rear seats kinda small. If you're complaining about the 323i, this would be just as if not smaller. Otherwise it's a good buy.

#4 - Nice car. Boxer. Subaru. Lots of PNP WRX / Impreza parts. Closest thing to Evo in this list.

#5 - I dunno why this car is in the list. Again, it's 6 years old, it's almost due for a lot of major repairs. Check mileage before buying this tank of a car. Very comfy very easy to drive, just very large. But if you have a Lancer, you don't need a Mazda 6.
Well he might have his theory, i will consult more people regarding the CVT cooler thingy. But i think he did tell me about the pressure thingy and said he could do something about it. I couldn't recall every words he said but basically he said he could mod it. :hmmmm:

I liked your analysis from the 5 choices. As for Mazda 6, its from previous gen, to me this design looks better than the current one. Small from outlook but big inside, pretty much a closer counterpart to my lancer. So far i heard lots of good stuffs of this Mazda 6 more than bad things so decided to enlist it. Test the Subaru, front cabin is too small, my shoulder almost touch the door panel when sat it (i have very wide shoulders). Its a great car to drive but too bad its too small.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I have a practical car in use now, and its much better than Myvi, would i downgrade when i can upgrade? Evo dream can slowly achieve, even how bad i want it, currently there are too few units in the market. For the past 3 months i already test drove 3 units of E8, 1 E9 and 1 E7. I'm stopping the search for the moment in order for my financial strength to be stronger, focus on my job and weekend workouts now. After calculations from many bros in ZTH, suggested that i could afford the car but maintenance wise, its still another challenge.
If you want to be stronger financially, you should not upgrade or buy another car and just better keep saving and work harder and smarter. Buying another car on top of your already 2 cars will not make you financially stronger and again I still don't see any point of upgrading/buying more of the same AT cars if you're not selling off your current ones. Judging by what you've posted so far, it seems you're still very much attached to your Lancer GT with some dreams of trying to mod it further to almost an Evo X. If that's what you want then better just stick to that and really focus on achieving that. But if you really do want a real Evo then again focus on getting that but leave your Lancer GT as it is other than regular maintenance to keep it fit. Unless you have a big budget to have it all (which you don't seem to have), then you need to get your priorities straight and focus on that, don't get swayed by short term needs and wants coz those might end up really stopping you from achieving your ultimate goal.

Just my 2 cents.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well if i am keeping the car long enough, i would want to transplant ralliart 4B11T and the SST gearbox. But the concern is, how to make the SST as FWD instead AWD. Well if really need the real differential in order to transplant SST guess i have no choice to transplant the whole thing, including the ACD. To be honest, i want the car stay FWD while having SST and 4B11T. Don't know is it achievable or not.

For my LGT, i changed to 16 steps hi-lo GAB SE, not the best suspension but it does the job great, bumpy on certain roads. So far all the passengers i fetched couldn't tell the difference yet. Hahaha i'm using Sumitomo 4 pots from Silvia S15. Fabricated the bracket. In future if got budget, i am going for Evo X knuckle and front brembo 4 pots, not need bracket as it will be much safer.
There are people who have done 4B11T swap in Malaysia on Lancer and Inspira. Perhaps you can find a way to lock the gearbox like how people do it in Evo 1,2,3 or VR4 gearbox. It depends on the underbody of your Lancer whether does it have the transmission tunnel section for you to fit in the whole differential. But with that engine, you are almost going to have a real Evo kind of maintenance for your Lancer. No longer as cheap as it used to be.

Adjustables and 4 pot from Silvia S15 definitely count as mods to me. :biggrin:

hitz

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Kepong, KL

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
hmm..... bout the cooler stuff.... dont see the benefit of having such a large cooler...... imo, theres a certain point at which the cooler becomes detrimental since it takes longer to reach operating temp.... (unless you are always taking the car to limits often, then well.... by all means)

*coming from someone with an engine oil cooler, i feel that it takes longer (maybe abit too long) for the engine to warm up*

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hmm..... bout the cooler stuff.... dont see the benefit of having such a large cooler...... imo, theres a certain point at which the cooler becomes detrimental since it takes longer to reach operating temp.... (unless you are always taking the car to limits often, then well.... by all means)

*coming from someone with an engine oil cooler, i feel that it takes longer (maybe abit too long) for the engine to warm up*
You're right. Not every car needs an oil cooler especially MT cars. If the car is only used for city driving, then there is not much use for the oil cooler at all since it takes more time than usual to warm up the engine. I've read something like this before from Izso.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
If you want to be stronger financially, you should not upgrade or buy another car and just better keep saving and work harder and smarter. Buying another car on top of your already 2 cars will not make you financially stronger and again I still don't see any point of upgrading/buying more of the same AT cars if you're not selling off your current ones. Judging by what you've posted so far, it seems you're still very much attached to your Lancer GT with some dreams of trying to mod it further to almost an Evo X. If that's what you want then better just stick to that and really focus on achieving that. But if you really do want a real Evo then again focus on getting that but leave your Lancer GT as it is other than regular maintenance to keep it fit. Unless you have a big budget to have it all (which you don't seem to have), then you need to get your priorities straight and focus on that, don't get swayed by short term needs and wants coz those might end up really stopping you from achieving your ultimate goal.

Just my 2 cents.
Both my cars have finished instalment ages ago. For now i am maintaining Lancer and BMW is maintained by my GF under my supervision. So far both cars haven't give me any headaches (thank god !!) Nah just a thinking for the Lancer contingency plan if suddenly either engine or gearbox gives up. If really it blew, then i will see where my money goes that time.

Short term needs ? I don't have them, everything is for long term gain. After all, dude's gotta upgrade IF he can, to keep the momentum of pushing myself to work harder. For E8 wise, stopping it for the moment, another 2 or 3 years time, i will get there eventually.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup Mark X can easily transform into aggressive or jdm look via a simple but costly conversion...
Me also uncle so this car look suitable for me.:driver:
Costly or not depends on how far you go with it which is valid for most cars anyway. Mark X body kits also have many copy cheap ones like the one I'm using, so if it got hit and cracked (which already happened countless times on my case) I'm not in heartache. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
You're right. Not every car needs an oil cooler especially MT cars. If the car is only used for city driving, then there is not much use for the oil cooler at all since it takes more time than usual to warm up the engine. I've read something like this before from Izso.
ahh! if im not the only one thinking it... there has to be some truth in this...... dunolah what the previous owner did with this car... manual car with an oil cooler... (not like it runs super hot even)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ahh! if im not the only one thinking it... there has to be some truth in this...... dunolah what the previous owner did with this car... manual car with an oil cooler... (not like it runs super hot even)
Unless it is some track car or high boost forced induction engine. By the way, what car is it that you are referring to?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But it is MT like you said. Powerful enough... Or you may want to consider changing it to 6A12 MIVEC head for some high revving goodness. :biggrin:
its a mivec engine haha

note, really not a good idea to tukar kepala from nivec to mivec, lots of work....
1)most 6a12's are the older timing belt on the passanger side generation)
2)basically whole thing kene tukar dah, pistons also dif

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
its a mivec engine haha

note, really not a good idea to tukar kepala from nivec to mivec, lots of work....
1)most 6a12's are the older timing belt on the passanger side generation)
2)basically whole thing kene tukar dah, pistons also dif
My mistake. Forgot that the 6A12 MIVEC in FTO is actually different with the 6A12 in Perdana. Timing belt on the opposite side just like how 4G series differs in Lancer CK variants.

But there is a MIVEC MD version which is suitable for Perdana isn't it? Timing belt is still on the right side like the old 6A12.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Mitevo7 dude, you're beginning to sound like a 86kg giant like vr2turbo :biggrin:
LOL i've got heavy bones, not a giant yet. But da, i do not know how big is vr2turbo anyhow. Care to describe ?