[WTA] Front intercooler

chiba-kun

Mar 20, 2009
My fd have temperature problem too and I think I want to change non-stock radiator and front intercooler too,but dunno what the best type?any suggestion here.

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Get a copper radiator. twin core...should be good for good temps!

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Radicaliez,

yes, you can. Do be careful regarding that larger intercooler thing, bigger is not always better.

Chiba-kun,

I agree with Elms80. Copper rads are the cheapest and easiest to recondition in the future - its easier to take off the solder, clean the cores and then resolder. They are also the best at heat dissipation. The downside is they are very very heavy. You can get quite good quality twin core copper rads around.

The other option is KOYO. There are a dual core and a dual core N-flow version.

Last edited:

RERider

Aug 7, 2004
Putrajaya
Be sure you use Distilled Water + Toyota Coolant + Redline Water Watter to get better cooling for your engine. The reason that you should only use distilled water is to avoid mineral deposits which will deteriorate your cooling system over time.

chiba-kun

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks to all suggestion.I ll try to find the cooper one..mm..sunway area have aa?how about the price?

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
if wanna start a big discussion.... there are front mount, V mount to talk about.. aluminum and copper to debate with....

i've seen front mount with stock intercooler.. it works... but just have to make sure that your coolant lines are rust free... inside engine is not clogged... then running stock radiator is okay.... but if you run on a 2 or 3 core cooper radiator, it'll give you 10 degrees lower water temp...

radicaliez

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
kuala lumpur
www.radical.com.my
yeah why not we discuss about this things, feel free everyone to join in to ask or answer

one of the disadvantages of front mount, is the cooling to the radiator and the engine...so i presume the best way to upgrade to alum radiator to eliminate the tempt. to replace the alumn radiator you have relocate the battery. but i dont like to place the battery at the back or in the cabin..so what can we do? any suggestions?

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Keep a look out for restriction of air from large front mounts. they do restrict much needed air to the radiator.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
get a gel type ultima battery... then u won't neeed to relocate the battery to the rear.. but bear in mind.. it's freakin expensive.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Gel types? You can buy AGM batteries here? Where?

Radicaliez,

As phat7 said, large size FMICs can act like an air-dam that prevents sufficient cool-air reaching the rad. Even if you get a large size rad the point is the air-flow.

You can readily upgrade the rad to larger sizes without displacing the battery. There are advantages for putting the battery in the back if you can as it helps free up some space up front and move weight backwards - especially advantageous if you are plonking a large heavy copper rad up front.

FM and VMs are about the same. I've been told that the key disadvantage of VMs is in some applications, if the car is not moving, the radiator becomes heat soaked and temps rise. You would have to keep moving to keep the air-flowing sufficiently through the VM. However, while you are moving, the VMs have a much better heat dissipation rate compared to FMs - assuming you keep the front bumper.

-------------------

Hmmm... can anybody share the pricing of copper and aluminium rads?

I bought a large aluminium radiator 2nd hand from Ah Choy for RM 1300 a few years ago - I think.

Heard him say that 2-3 core copper rad would be a little cheaper.

Last edited:

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Radicaliez,

I'm on an FC, stock fan as it still serves its purpose. Do ask your mechanic for his expert opinion as I've seen some FDs running odd shaped fans or multiples.

Also, a correction: there are significant advantages for a VM due to the space and air-flow management - especially for drifting. And if you get into an accident, the intercooler is less likely to be damaged under certain circumstances. But no one has yet told me much about that heat soak problem.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,i got 1 spare strobe light bulb laying on the table. Its the Type R stobe light bulb. I wanna ask whether i can wire the bulb directly to battery with a switch and not connect it to the module? It has 3 wire red/white/black.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience