What are you driving now?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The only reason why i'm driving this Nissan Sylphy which friends have named "STD" due to it's name similarity to Syphilis, is because I needed a family car to replace my bar-ed up, stiff Wira which for the life of me regret ever selling. Sylphy has tremendous rear leg room and huge boot space with weak-ass power because of the slack slow CVT gearbox which is the same GB found in the Proton Inspira. Interestingly though, the cars usable power range is between 3.5k rpm to 5.5k rpm. Anything before that is weak.

Again having said that - once you get started, the gearing is really weird. 3pm will bring me to 150km/h and 5k rpm is top speed 180km/h already. Red line is 6.5k. The pickup from 100km/h to 140km/h is pretty good. But getting to 100km/h is pathetic.

I'm running on non-standard size 17" and stock is 15" with the facelift model running on 16". The model I'm driving is the G11 model which didn't come with a CVT cooler and I managed to trigger limp mode on the 1st week of driving the car up Genting. After adding a CVT cooler I find out the unit I removed to install the cooler is a "CVT heater" which heats up the CVT oil to optimum running temp 55-60 deg Celsius so now it doesn't have the heater in place anymore the GB takes longer to warm up and until it does the car drives like a jackrabbit in heat. So I have to drive it slowly until operating temp.

I've been outrunned by a Alza and Axia on the NS highway going at my top speed and cornering in this STD is quite good considering I have swapped out 30% stiffer rear springs and using PRS customized Impul absorbers and have all the UR bars for my car. But the sheer weight of the car and the oversized rims means i still scrape the wheel arches when gunning really hard so conclusion is this car is not meant for chucking around or anything that involves speed.

FC is atrocious at 10km/L at best city driving and 13k/L for constant highway driving (top speed 120km/h). FC is heavily influenced by how clean my air filter is, so I need to clean my drop-in weekly and blow out all the dust and rocks inside the airbox picked up by the stock scoop.

I've spent a shit load on maintenance already all because of very odd-no-error problems which until today I don't know was caused by what (the problem dissapeared by itself) and have given up on modding this car. I've dismantled quite a bit of the car and replaced a lot of things already. I know now Nissan over-engineer their cars and have redundancy for everything. 2 x O2 sensors, 2 x catcons, O-Rings and gaskets for everything and if you don't swap out these o-Rings it'll cause a vacuum leak and everytime you replace the 100k km spark plugs you need to swap out 2 other O-rings.

Oh and nothing Nissan is cheap. NOTHING. Fuel pump + fuel regulator + fuel filter is one assembly and cannot be bought separately unless you mod the housing which is impractical. RM1800. Primary O2 sensor RM680, Secondary O2 sensor RM480, MAF sensor RM480, Intake Manifold gasket RM260, TB O-ring RM50, stupidass iridium (stock) spark plugs RM260 for 4, Driveshafts RM1800++ per side, Wheel bearing RM450++, Alternator RM2000, Engine mounting full set RM2000+ and so much more. NOTHING is cheap. And all these prices are non-original Nissan Tancheong prices.

Cheap car to buy used (40k max) but effing expensive to maintain.
Cannot believe an Alza can outrun you leh! :confused:

Need to clean the air filter weekly??? Wah that's a bit much I think.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
The only reason why i'm driving this Nissan Sylphy which friends have named "STD" due to it's name similarity to Syphilis, is because I needed a family car to replace my bar-ed up, stiff Wira which for the life of me regret ever selling. Sylphy has tremendous rear leg room and huge boot space with weak-ass power because of the slack slow CVT gearbox which is the same GB found in the Proton Inspira. Interestingly though, the cars usable power range is between 3.5k rpm to 5.5k rpm. Anything before that is weak.

Again having said that - once you get started, the gearing is really weird. 3pm will bring me to 150km/h and 5k rpm is top speed 180km/h already. Red line is 6.5k. The pickup from 100km/h to 140km/h is pretty good. But getting to 100km/h is pathetic.

I'm running on non-standard size 17" and stock is 15" with the facelift model running on 16". The model I'm driving is the G11 model which didn't come with a CVT cooler and I managed to trigger limp mode on the 1st week of driving the car up Genting. After adding a CVT cooler I find out the unit I removed to install the cooler is a "CVT heater" which heats up the CVT oil to optimum running temp 55-60 deg Celsius so now it doesn't have the heater in place anymore the GB takes longer to warm up and until it does the car drives like a jackrabbit in heat. So I have to drive it slowly until operating temp.

I've been outrunned by a Alza and Axia on the NS highway going at my top speed and cornering in this STD is quite good considering I have swapped out 30% stiffer rear springs and using PRS customized Impul absorbers and have all the UR bars for my car. But the sheer weight of the car and the oversized rims means i still scrape the wheel arches when gunning really hard so conclusion is this car is not meant for chucking around or anything that involves speed.

FC is atrocious at 10km/L at best city driving and 13k/L for constant highway driving (top speed 120km/h). FC is heavily influenced by how clean my air filter is, so I need to clean my drop-in weekly and blow out all the dust and rocks inside the airbox picked up by the stock scoop.

I've spent a shit load on maintenance already all because of very odd-no-error problems which until today I don't know was caused by what (the problem dissapeared by itself) and have given up on modding this car. I've dismantled quite a bit of the car and replaced a lot of things already. I know now Nissan over-engineer their cars and have redundancy for everything. 2 x O2 sensors, 2 x catcons, O-Rings and gaskets for everything and if you don't swap out these o-Rings it'll cause a vacuum leak and everytime you replace the 100k km spark plugs you need to swap out 2 other O-rings.

Oh and nothing Nissan is cheap. NOTHING. Fuel pump + fuel regulator + fuel filter is one assembly and cannot be bought separately unless you mod the housing which is impractical. RM1800. Primary O2 sensor RM680, Secondary O2 sensor RM480, MAF sensor RM480, Intake Manifold gasket RM260, TB O-ring RM50, stupidass iridium (stock) spark plugs RM260 for 4, Driveshafts RM1800++ per side, Wheel bearing RM450++, Alternator RM2000, Engine mounting full set RM2000+ and so much more. NOTHING is cheap. And all these prices are non-original Nissan Tancheong prices.

whoooaaa.......... much rage at the std detected.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Cannot believe an Alza can outrun you leh! :confused:

Need to clean the air filter weekly??? Wah that's a bit much I think.
I was maxed out on the highway. 180km/h max and the Axia and Alza in front of me were slowly inching away from me. After a while I gave up and went back to slow mode.

And air filter cleaning is needed otherwise I get 7-8km/L FC.. which is obscenely bad.

You don't know the half of it! I forgot to include the absolutely stupid ridiculous pricing of the front grill and all that.

The dumb Chrome grill is RM600 brand new. That chrome strip that's above the grill that's embedded on the hood is RM480. These two dumb chrome parts costs more than the front bumper. Lucky for me the halfcut is so unwanted I bought the hood, bumper, and grill and all for RM300.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Sounds like this kind of maintenance cost is like performance car level such as Evo or STI. :banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I was maxed out on the highway. 180km/h max and the Axia and Alza in front of me were slowly inching away from me. After a while I gave up and went back to slow mode.

And air filter cleaning is needed otherwise I get 7-8km/L FC.. which is obscenely bad.

You don't know the half of it! I forgot to include the absolutely stupid ridiculous pricing of the front grill and all that.

The dumb Chrome grill is RM600 brand new. That chrome strip that's above the grill that's embedded on the hood is RM480. These two dumb chrome parts costs more than the front bumper. Lucky for me the halfcut is so unwanted I bought the hood, bumper, and grill and all for RM300.
Your car also got the 180kph speed cut? This is similar to someone in our club last time got overtaken by a Kelisa coz he had not removed his speed cut. :biggrin:

Whoa only 7-8km/ltr, that's ridiculous leh.

Why did you need the front grill and all that? Got accident?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If air filter not cleaned, the FC also almost like an Evo (at least when not on boost). :hmmmm2:
If like this, I think buying Civic FD 2.0 (not type R) is even better than Sylphy. At least it is sportier and maintenance don't seemed that crazy.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If like this, I think buying Civic FD 2.0 (not type R) is even better than Sylphy. At least it is sportier and maintenance don't seemed that crazy.
You need strong back bone, teeth, and rear end though to handle the pounding of the harsh suspension! :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You need strong back bone, teeth, and rear end though to handle the pounding of the harsh suspension! :biggrin:
I've sat before few times in FD2. Suspension din't feel so bad. I'm not saying the Type R model.

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
Been driving an Odyssey RB3 for the past 2 years. Almost stock condition. The only thing I changed was a set of Weds copy rims. An old man now. No more heavy foot. No more 9000rpm. No more Toyo R1R. No more 304 border. :biggrin:

Attachments

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've sat before few times in FD2. Suspension din't feel so bad. I'm not saying the Type R model.
Very different leh the FD2 & FD2R! FD2R feels much harsher coz everything is stiffer: the chassis, the suspension, the tires also thinner (225/40/18 vs 215/45/17).

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
FD2R owners who use their car for daily driving and cannot torerate the 'concrete' suspension usually change their stock suspension to 'softer' aftermarket adjustable suspension... :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Usually when they on the way to get it, damn happy, got new car. AFTER they get it and start suffering, they will rage at STD.

So remember kids, STD is not fun. Don't happy for 5 minutes and suffer for 50 years.

Sounds like this kind of maintenance cost is like performance car level such as Evo or STI. :banghead:
Evo probably cheaper maintenance cost due to certain common parts shared with lancer, and half cut having LOADS of stuff available, plus lots of OEM choices.

Different la, Sylphy got bigger rear seat, so when you wanna get jiggy with it in the rear seat, easier.

Been driving an Odyssey RB3 for the past 2 years. Almost stock condition. The only thing I changed was a set of Weds copy rims. An old man now. No more heavy foot. No more 9000rpm. No more Toyo R1R. No more 304 border. :biggrin:
Handsome car. Still got VTEC.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear ZTH fellows,

In pursuing my MBA, I am conducting a research on Consumer Buying Behavior in car segment. It would take you less than 2 minutes to complete the questionnaire. All information shall be used for academic purpose only.

Below is the link to the questionnaire. Thank you.
A study of consumer car purchase In Malaysia
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience