Schumacher pwned at the Ring?

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Just ran across this and found it rather amusing. Don't know if it is fact or fiction though.

Driving at the Ring recently in a Ferrari 599 GTB (Porsche had it for appraisal), he found himself gradually gaining on a black car in the distance. Eventually he is a metre from the back bumper of what turns out to be another 599. Into one of the last corners, its driver makes a mistake and Röhrl dives up the inside. Later the black car draws alongside, its window winds down and the driver calls Röhrl a ‘lunatic’. Mind, Michael Schumacher never was a good loser…
Link: News in brief | evo News | News | evo

For those who don't know, Walter Rohrl isn't some small fry, the man is a giant in motorsports circles, a proper driving legend. Wiki him up if you want to know more.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
If i remember correctly, Walter Rohrl is one of Porsche's test drivers. He's been around for quite sometime. Correct me if i'm wrong but i haven't google this fella yet.

Anyways, Schumi has never really excelled outside F1 racing. He may have been a 7 times world champion but he was comprehesively trounced during the race of the champions few years back. I heard he was even beaten by Heikki Kovalainen.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
prodigy; I'll give you a bit of skinny on Rohrl. Yes, he is Porsche chief test driver these days and the Ring is his playground (check out all the fast lap times on the Ring, you'll see his name over and over).

However, back in his days, he goes to work in a fire breathing, seriously hairy, legendary Group B rally car. Specifically the Audi Sport Quattro. And he's multiple time champion doing that, of course. He also won Pikes Peak.

Last edited:

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
prodigy; I'll give you a bit of skinny on Rohrl. Yes, he is Porsche chief test driver these days and the Ring is his playground (check out all the fast lap times on the Ring, you'll see his name over and over).

However, back in his days, he goes to work in a fire breathing, seriously hairy, legendary Group B rally car. Specifically the Audi Sport Quattro. And he's multiple time champion doing that, of course. He also won Pikes Peak.
i believe he did not win any world championships with the quattro sport... he did win rallys if i am not wrong... Schumacher will never get used to driving on uneven, bumpy roads like nurburg... only maniacs like rohrl will be able to do it... you can see from his years driving in a 500+hp car through uncontrolled crowds...and he doesn't even lift off the throttle...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
My bad, butthead you're right. Should have done my own homework before I posted. Rohrl actually won 2 rallying championships with Fiat in 1980 and Opel in 1982. He did join Audi in 1984 and won quite a lot of races but not the driver's title.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
My bad, butthead you're right. Should have done my own homework before I posted. Rohrl actually won 2 rallying championships with Fiat in 1980 and Opel in 1982. He did join Audi in 1984 and won quite a lot of races but not the driver's title.
haha... it's just an exchange of knowledge... i was too worried my facts were wrong...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Anyway, maniacs like Rohrl are the true racing drivers, IMHO. Less PR crap, less talk, less whingeing. Just huge balls and huge speed.

Which is why I find myself compelled to post another TopGear CAMRRAD nominee; Stefan Bellof Top Gear

Just a bit of summary;

Bloke still holds the record for fastest lap ever round the Nurburgring. Set in days when racing cars were bat shit crazy and crashing will most likely kill you. Also, when eulogising on Senna, people always bring up his unparalleled ability in the rain. Well, in the 1984 Monaco GP, Mr. Bellof in a seriously underpowered car, managed to go from last to 3rd and he was closing down on Senna and Prost, in the pouring rain.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Anyway, maniacs like Rohrl are the true racing drivers, IMHO. Less PR crap, less talk, less whingeing. Just huge balls and huge speed.

Which is why I find myself compelled to post another TopGear CAMRRAD nominee; Stefan Bellof Top Gear

Just a bit of summary;

Bloke still holds the record for fastest lap ever round the Nurburgring. Set in days when racing cars were bat shit crazy and crashing will most likely kill you. Also, when eulogising on Senna, people always bring up his unparalleled ability in the rain. Well, in the 1984 Monaco GP, Mr. Bellof in a seriously underpowered car, managed to go from last to 3rd and he was closing down on Senna and Prost, in the pouring rain.
maybe kimi will be among one of them in the future...but then... most of the crazy nutters are from rally based backgrounds...

circuit racing is normally "less dangerous"... no falling off the cliff of some mountain side, crashing into trees or big boulders...

i wondered if you seen this video before...

it is one of makinen's crash in the famous corsica rally...

[youtube]_v5oZW1T670[/youtube]

heard they went smack straight into the wall...

his co-driver risto-mannisenmaki were severely injured and later retired after he recovered...

maybe finnish drivers never understood the concept of death :P

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
LoL...that's a holy shit moment right there.

I like how the on board camera just went, as they crashed into the sheer cliff face, like they just got obliterated.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
LoL...that's a holy shit moment right there.

I like how the on board camera just went, as they crashed into the sheer cliff face, like they just got obliterated.
i don't believe the camera can take such a huge load of shock... the shock is able to break a person's backbone... but the onboard shot is a bit funny... as the shot just cut off before it smacked into the wall...

anyway... it is just a bit dangerous in the corsican hills... nowadays i don't see the corsica stages go along those routes anymore... tight narrow roads with cliff on one side and a huge drop on the other...with only a stone layed barrier preventing the car to fall off the cliff...absolutely will need guts and precision to drive through those stages...

collin is also another nutter...his persistency to push to the max (even when he is leading the rally) is always something to look at...

here are some of his crashes

[youtube]KXFHHZPD_yc[/youtube]
[youtube]69sqHhqP-kw[/youtube]

i saved the best for the last...

[youtube]0qJ7BPcWpVY[/youtube]

and this is a recent one with Chris Atkinson of SWRT in Japan... not much harm done to passengers... but the roof and the roll cage just opened up like a can or sardines....
[youtube]QQEYYz5iS7I[/youtube]

...hehhe... it seems that we have turned this thread into a rally crash compilation thread instead..

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Crashes with big rolls and spins may look dramatic but really, in terms of physics, nothing beats smacking into an immovable object at high speed. It stops the car almost dead in its track and the force subjected upon it and its occupants is just unimaginable. So, for me at least, the crash in the Corsican hills is tops. The type of skill and bravery needed to race in those conditions is insane.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Just because he was the F1 Champion does not automatically guarantee him top results when competing in other series.

I don't think I have seen a F1 champ dominate as soon as he steps into a series that is non-F1. The one exception was Nigel Mansell, who went straight from his championship F1 season into Indycars and won back to back championships. The other was of course Mario Andretti.

I mean if you look at the newer F1 champs, Hakkinen hasn't really factor at all in DTM. He looks distinctly mediocre in DTM having come into it as an F1 champ. By contrast, Gary Paffett who use to test for McLaren Mercedes is much better at DTM and even won 2007's second leg (at Oschesleben if I'm not mistaken....or was that Hockenheim?).

Bellof was one of those rare breed of super drivers whose time was so tragically cut short. I mean the guy was competitive in several disciplines all in the one year.....F1 and GT class endurance races. You don't get many drivers of that calibre in versatility. His famous Monaco 84 charge in the rain was in a Tyrell. Does anyone here know where I can get a full footage of his 6:11:13 Norschliefe record in that Porsche 956 ? What I'm referring to is in-cockpit footage showing the complete lap from start right up to finish.

Last edited:

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Crashes with big rolls and spins may look dramatic but really, in terms of physics, nothing beats smacking into an immovable object at high speed. It stops the car almost dead in its track and the force subjected upon it and its occupants is just unimaginable. So, for me at least, the crash in the Corsican hills is tops. The type of skill and bravery needed to race in those conditions is insane.
i think insane is barely the word to use... only a nutcase that has nothing to live for will do something like that... a good example will be a suicide bomber..haha...

the incredible thing is they can do it time after time and crash after crash like it did not happen... Formula 1 crashes are fairly less scary compared to rally crashes as modern day circuits are quite open and also has less of any dangerous obstacles... i just can't imagine driving in top speed sixth gear in places like Australia jumping over small crests with trees lined up on both sides...imagine crashing into trees and a tree stump sticks through your windscreen killing you... just imagining it made my nuts fall off..

Just because he was the F1 Champion does not automatically guarantee him top results when competing in other series.

I don't think I have seen a F1 champ dominate as soon as he steps into a series that is non-F1. The one exception was Nigel Mansell, who went straight from his championship F1 season into Indycars and won back to back championships. The other was of course Mario Andretti.

I mean if you look at the newer F1 champs, Hakkinen hasn't really factor at all in DTM. He looks distinctly mediocre in DTM having come into it as an F1 champ. By contrast, Gary Paffett who use to test for McLaren Mercedes is much better at DTM and even won 2007's second leg (at Oschesleben if I'm not mistaken....or was that Hockenheim?).

Bellof was one of those rare breed of super drivers whose time was so tragically cut short. I mean the guy was competitive in several disciplines all in the one year.....F1 and GT class endurance races. You don't get many drivers of that calibre in versatility. His famous Monaco 84 charge in the rain was in a Tyrell. Does anyone here know where I can get a full footage of his 6:11:13 Norschliefe record in that Porsche 956 ? What I'm referring to is in-cockpit footage showing the complete lap from start right up to finish.
i thought hakinen won his thirds race in DTM? might be wrong..

there is of course some of the not so famous new gen drivers like the 2006 Mattias Exstrom...who was known to have done rallying and other types of circuit racing..he is also in DTM currently... not extremely successful in every types of race i say...but he did beat Sebastien Loeb in his championship winning Citroen Xsara WR Car in the ROC last year...i think ROC is a very interesting competition as it pits drivers into the same track and the same car... and they do it in several types of car to be sure of the results...

hoping to this years ROC...

in the clip where makinnen crashed his car, they closed the stage after that incident.

any crash like that will close the stage immediately... normally if the organizers don't close it the team will request for the stage to close... as it endangers the drivers in the middle of the stage and also the personnels attempting the rescue...

even Gronholm's recent Ireland rally incident where he whacked onto a concrete wall cause the stage to close down... and dammit... he lost his title by such a misfortune... i was hoping maybe he can get another title under his belt before he retires... Seb already has 3 and he is only 34... many more years to go especially his most toughest rival is not going to be around next year....

of shucks... this has suddenly turned into a rally thread instead of F1:hmmmm: