knocking. colder spark plugs???

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear forumers,

I am facing the problem of knocking especially during afternoons on hillstarts and of i rev beyond 6500 rpm. I have already adjusted the ignition timing and do not want to retard anymore because anything more than
this, the engine will be sluggish and fc sucks.

Will using colder spark plugs help? I wont go to the ultimate cold ones. Say maybe just 2 steps colder. Is that okay? I do not want problems like spark plug fouling and dirty combustion chamber. People who use overly cold spark plugs tend to have such problems as the heat is insufficient to burn the carbon and oil off.

Anyone got exp on this? I am using 4age blacktop btw.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As far as I know, it won't help using colder plugs. You may need octane booster...

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Yup, Agree with vr2turbo.
Since you said you already adjusted the timing. And this happens at mid to high RPM range.

Either you enrich the AFR (which causes high fuel consumption)
or use higher octane petrol

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
colder plugs will help, u may be using a higher grade plugs now, cold down a grade at a time and report back

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
As far as I know, it won't help using colder plugs. You may need octane booster...
Yup, Agree with vr2turbo.
Since you said you already adjusted the timing. And this happens at mid to high RPM range.

Either you enrich the AFR (which causes high fuel consumption)
or use higher octane petrol
Thanks guys. I dont want to use ron97 regularly or octane booter. Ron97 because i feel its a ripoff. Money is a prob to me. Octane booster because that will make the cost of each tank almost like ron97. And the increase in octane is not as much as using ron97 so not worth it. As for AFR, i'm already running slightly rich. I even plan to lean it a little now coz fc is bad. Just a little. I think i wil go for xtremeleo's suggestion. Just wanted to ask if anyone done this before and is there any potential probs.

colder plugs will help, u may be using a higher grade plugs now, cold down a grade at a time and report back
Thanks. Have u done this before? Anything to pay attention to? I plan to go 2 steps lower as im planning to lean my afr as well. What say you?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Standard plugs very hard to get colder plugs, unless you are using Iridium....or can try adding some 2T to your petrol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe try to do some carbon cleaning first, because as engines get old, the carbon deposit causes the knocking as the sharp peaks of the carbon deposit gets very hot and ignites fuel prematurely. The deposit also reduces the combustion chamber volume and hence increases compression.
Then recheck your A/F ratio and adjust accordingly.
Colder plugs might help but might not be enough so don't get too hopeful. Your cold start up will be a bit more difficult/rough though.

Engine sifus can CMIIW though, since my knowledge is very little about cars.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
yeah, solved my pinging problem when using a grade under, but i also tuned it richer

Slowboy

Known Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks guys. I dont want to use ron97 regularly or octane booter. Ron97 because i feel its a ripoff. Money is a prob to me. Octane booster because that will make the cost of each tank almost like ron97. And the increase in octane is not as much as using ron97 so not worth it. As for AFR, i'm already running slightly rich. I even plan to lean it a little now coz fc is bad. Just a little. I think i wil go for xtremeleo's suggestion. Just wanted to ask if anyone done this before and is there any potential probs.

Thanks. Have u done this before? Anything to pay attention to? I plan to go 2 steps lower as im planning to lean my afr as well. What say you?
I tend to think running 95+ octane booster is better than 97 or 98. Also it is more cost effective compared to 97 or 98 alone. Anyone can confirmed this statement?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I tend to think running 95+ octane booster is better than 97 or 98. Also it is more cost effective compared to 97 or 98 alone. Anyone can confirmed this statement?
I suppose depends on the octane booster. An octane booster needs to jack up octane by 20 points in order to make RON95 the same as RON97, and most only add <10pts per bottle.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I suppose depends on the octane booster. An octane booster needs to jack up octane by 20 points in order to make RON95 the same as RON97, and most only add <10pts per bottle.
Yup, and the cost cannot be more then RM50 per tank. Roughly 50L at RM1 price difference between 95 and 97

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
sorry aarr sifuses to interrupt, but i still can't manage to understand these three terms after reading a lot here in ZTH,

a) pinging
b) knocking
c) stalling

sifuses any thread/links that put a simple english for these terms, thanx.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
knocking got 2 means....

1) metal to metal contact that produce knock knock sound

2) over compression that leads to pinging

stalling is u can google that :P

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
knocking got 2 means....

1) metal to metal contact that produce knock knock sound

2) over compression that leads to pinging

stalling is u can google that :P
hhmmm, guess can't know better if doesn't experienced it ehh:biggrin:
compression need to spend more on this part:banghead:

as for stalling, my prob is when @ pause @ traffic light, gear is engaged, when try to move the engine like dead for split sec then runs again, is it still call stalling @ sumthing else?? thanx in adv.
thanx bro

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
sorry aarr sifuses to interrupt, but i still can't manage to understand these three terms after reading a lot here in ZTH,

a) pinging
b) knocking
c) stalling

sifuses any thread/links that put a simple english for these terms, thanx.
Pinging and Knocking is actually the same. Called differently, can also be called pinking or detonation.

Read more here
Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For stalling is actually engine completely off (as in stalled). If for a moment is more like a miss and can be a lot of reasons from wiring, spark, fuel feed and so on

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Right now I'm boosting @ 0.9 bar, wondering how high can Yrv boost go up to? Scared to pow engine

Is it possible to touch 1.5 bar? Really scared.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience