Hyundai Coupe RD aircon issue

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Hi All,

Not sure anyone here have the problem.
I can smell gasoline outside through my aircon ven.

I was told that the problem is cause by sponge around the aircon unit is loss, will need to replace the sponge with a new unit.

Actually I did that sponge replacement a year ago when I change my cooling coils. The Mech tear out the original sponge (which last for 6 years without any issue) and replace with the current sponge.

my question.

1. Anyone of you experience this? how do you solve it?
2. Do you know an reliable mech to solve this?

I'm looking for a solution that longer lasting. I do not wish to replace the sponge every year. Thanks

eastbay

Mar 28, 2006
Taiping
www.myiq.net.my
..:::Hi blacksamurai,

I facing the same problem like u. And sometimes when i change my air cond setting to remove 'haze', i can see a small part of sponge cames out. n i can see it on my dashboard also.

Yup, i also can smell 'asap' through my aircon ven.

Any solutions yet?

N also, my aircond is not 'cool' anymore.Black car, black interior plus our weather. Its double de heat!!. I expected my compressor already kaput + leaking somewhere. So how much that it goin to cost me (estimated) ?

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
guys,
I did have the sponge problem last time where I can see it bits by bits fly out of my air con vent. But, no petrol smell like you guys exprienced. I sent it for service and the air con shop change the sponge for me and works perfectly. When I sent in for second service (you guys might want to do this). He advise me to permanently shut off the external duct (where fresh air comes in).

The reason is, everytime when we turn off our car. Coupe air duct will automatically open for external fresh air. This is good but the problem comes when you park under some tree where it has all the tiny leave and debris fall into your duct without you knowing it. Later on, it gets more and start clogging your drainage and air con as well.

eastbay,
you gonna be ready for huge bill to fix all those you mentioned. Even, with recond unit also might get you to 1K expenses. wish you luck.

Rgds,
Ace

eastbay

Mar 28, 2006
Taiping
www.myiq.net.my
Ace,

Thanks bro for ur info.
Its help me.Now i can imagine the main parts that drag me into this prob.
HUge bill?? Haha got to wait until at the end of nxt month la :P

Anyway, again.Thanks for ur advice.

Will update this thread soon...

e@stbay ( balik pulau, penang / damansara, petaling jaya )
p/s : I saw a 2 tones ( black+ red ) 1.8 coupe with huge hyundai logo at the both side of that car + gt wing. Penang Free Indstrial Zone area ( Belakang seagate ).

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace,

He advise me to permanently shut off the external duct (where fresh air comes in).
Actually the aircon man also advice me to do that. Looks like I have no other option.

The reason is, everytime when we turn off our car. Coupe air duct will automatically open for external fresh air. This is good but the problem comes when you park under some tree where it has all the tiny leave and debris fall into your duct without you knowing it. Later on, it gets more and start clogging your drainage and air con as well.
Yup, i think you are right. when ever I turn your ignition key on to battery level without starting the car, I can hear the moving sound from the air duct opener (a very light "click" sound,same sound when i click the button to open the opener).

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
eastbay said:
N also, my aircond is not 'cool' anymore.Black car, black interior plus our weather. Its double de heat!!. I expected my compressor already kaput + leaking somewhere. So how much that it goin to cost me (estimated) ?
looks like we need to do according to Ace's suggestion.

eastbay, black coupe here as well. So we have 2 black Coupe at D'sara. Hey, I know i met you on the road before. You are not chinese, am i right? :biggrin:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
last time my cooling coil gone, i replace 3 items, cost me RM800.

(Leakage)

All 3 items (I forgot the name :biggrin:)​

eastbay

Mar 28, 2006
Taiping
www.myiq.net.my
Ayak... u got me oredi!!!

I think i saw u last week. But im not so sure. Coz last week i saw 5 coupe's!!! 1 at tesco damansara ( maroon color - automatic trans wit stock s/rims ) 3 black coupe's ( 1 at tropicana traffic light, 1 at nkve, 1 more at my office.summore num plate nak sama!! )1 in blue color. FEMALE driver. Damn fast. From NKVE exit to kota damansara.Or at D1 drift challange that held at stadium shah alam?There also i saw 2 coupe's.1 white and 1 black.So which one describes urs? ehehe...

So glad to knw ur guys...

Bout the a/c prob, yup i agree wit u ( both ace n bs) 2months ago i just refill the gas. But now, gas oredi tak ada. Yup, its bcoz of cooling coil. My mech said if im lucky, the leakage area can be repair. Else, ...RM800 ;P

gumball

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
me facing the same prob also...can teach me on how i can fix it?
also where do u do the checkup on whether the cooling coil...itswas like tat last time until i refilled my gas(1 year ago)...but now its coming back...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
eastbay, the maroon couple you saw might be Daniel Lee. Danial, is that you where you attend D1?

eastbay, i had the same issue last time, refill the gas and the gas gone very fast.
Gumball, yours last for a year, I'm not sure which area it touch, but usually if cooling coil leakage, the gas gone very fast (at least won't last for a year :biggrin: )

I get my fix near temple Park. Kind of Ulu place, intro by Yu.

Gumball, if you are lucky, might be the leakage at the Valve
that's the cheapest part.

eastbay

Mar 28, 2006
Taiping
www.myiq.net.my
Blacksamurai, im also heard the moving sound from de air duct opener. I think the smell that cames from outside Maybe bcause of the duct 'gate' not properly close. Is this possibble?

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
i was told that the opener will always close tide (controlled by spring and electric gadget), it was the sponge that not firm enough to hold the air.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
i did, it last for few months. it's part of the RM800 deal. I didn't ask for itemise biling. :biggrin:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
You guy can actually see the sponge when the mechanic open up the coil for maintenance/repair service. Just be sure to ask him to change the sponge. If possible, those sponge that use by air con. Mine did by a reputable shop. So, they usually have those hard to find items. Sealing off the air duct really help isolating the bad smell from outside of your car when it is idling. Imagine if you were to park near durian seller and on a hot day. When you get into your car, you would know what I mean.

:)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi...izzit possible to transplant waja 1.6 engine into wira 1.3 all
complete with the transmission system...i know that gear box is tranverse
but maybe there would be haf any tehcnique to do this
tq...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience