Giving my Makita RB a new lease of life...

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Ok, I inherited this Makita from a pro detailer (can't reveal name...) who has used this machine quite a bit. I have only used this machine once for the headlights restoration experiment. There are some quirks with this machine and me being a DIY nut, I thought of bringing this machine back to its former glory. Mechanical wise, this machine is good but can be better. On the other hand there are some quirky things with the electrical portion of this machine:
1. Some clicking sound at times during use from the rotor - will need to check the carbon brush
2. Power cord is broken - connection is intermittent

The other issue is removing all dirt, grease and compound/polish dust from the internals and vents.

Figure 1: Trusty old Makita... err that M16 to M14 does not come with this machine :biggrin:

Figure 2: Dirty gear box case and vent

Figure 3: Dirty vents to spindle assembly - notice the compound/polish cake

Figure 4: Dirty vents on the other side

Figure 5: Been through speedy times

Figure 6: Ackkk... first part of the internals which houses the power cord end points, trigger, speed dial, control unit and magnetic speed sensor.

Figure 7: Trigger unit. Power cord connection is ok from the inside. Looks like a broken wire connection somewhere within the cord which I would replace later. Earth connection does not look nice... should have a soldered lug.

Figure 8: Hermetically sealed control unit with speed sensor (circular magnet on rotor), speed dial and trigger unit - all dirty and caked up

Figure 9: What goes into the spindle...

Figure 10: Speed dial and potentiometer all caked up with dirt. Luckily Makita uses good parts thus everything is still working well

Figure 11: Look at the amount of dirt on the outside of the spindle... can't imagine what goes in and goes out...

Figure 12: Popped the two side caps to gain access to the carbon brush. Both looks a little short but one is broken. The braided copper cable is detached from the end plate. Machine still works as the connection is still there due to the current now being carried by the metal spring but not as good as compared to pure copper. We have found the source of the clicking sound.

Figure 13: Replacement carbon brush #303 for this machine

Figure 14: Old vs new. Old brushes are more than 50% gone...

Figure 15: But... end plate of new brushes is crimped. Will it get detached again?

Figure 16: The cure for being paranoid, solder the end points!

Figure 17: Gear box removed. Look at the spindle stator housing full of filth and grease inside.

Figure 18: Ever wonder why Makita spindle body is large? Here is your answer - energized stator coils. Interesting.

Figure 19: Taking off the interface plastic plate to reveal...

Figure 20: Dirt inside the housing and stator assembly...

Figure 21: Plastic interface plate...

Figure 22: Stator coil removed

Figure 23: Stator housing inside

Figure 24: Now how to clean??? OPC 1:3, soft brush and also Systema 0.02mm soft toothbrush! Take note that is only for the non electrical parts!!! Clean electrical/electronic parts with dedicated and proper electronic circuit board cleaner such as 99.9% IPA, etc.

Figure 25: Handle cleaned - vents are now all clean with no compound/polish cake. Scratches will leave it there.

Figure 26: Rear stator housing, clean!

Figure 27: Internal of stator housing, clean!

Figure 28: Control unit and speed sensor, clean!

Figure 29: Trigger, clean!

Figure 30: The longest to clean - interface plastic plate of stator housing. Dial also cleaned.

Figure 31: New set of thicker and stronger power cord and 3-pin plug. Earth point now spot a lug and all wire end points tinned to protect it and improve electrical contact.

Figure 32: Electrical portion fully reassembled. Some modifications made in wiring to ease reassembly and future maintenance. Crimped cable end point connection removed, soldered and heat shrunk to improve electrical contact.

Figure 33: Fully reassembled and tested to make sure it works and electrical problems resolved!

Disclaimer:
1. This is a DIY project, do know what you are attempting before trying this out yourself!
2. This is a power tool, don't fool around if you do not know what you are actually dealing with! I am in no pint liable if you screw up.
3. Some cables were modified to ease reassembly in particular the carbon brush housing spring wire connector which is a PITA to fix back for the stator winding.
4. Do not wet electrical parts like trigger, stator winding, etc to avoid risk of electrical shock. use proper electrical contact cleaner with no residue.
5. Original Makita power cord is crap...

When I do have time, I will go over to the gear box bearing removal and replacement. The bearing sees lots of load and gets worn out over time with more free play.

Did not clean up the rotor, fan blade and gearbox assembly yet... short of time. Part #2.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Okay... Now, you can sell this as recon unit and get a new one :biggrin:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Okay... Now, you can sell this as recon unit and get a new one :biggrin:
Wow... you night owl lurking around. I won't sell it and will keep it if it works fine. Recondition if it is broken, more satisfaction... Besides I only detail my own cars and close family members and that's all. If all is good, then this goes into the storage box.

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Wow. Most impressive! Another great use for Optimum Power Clean.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
oh my goodness!! u needa teach me this shit! i wanna do this for so long edi but i really din dare to open it up to this extend!

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
oh my goodness!! u needa teach me this shit! i wanna do this for so long edi but i really din dare to open it up to this extend!
Bro the less is more, this is a power tool & holding close when u work n it...cautious..if u were to screw up a paint...get it respray ...if otherwise..ta ta

simple maintenance - clean it with damp MF after each use & store it properly...I have friend in USA use more than 25 years & he only got another spare.. far durable machine I ever use & owned

Mine has detailed 300 and more cars X 10-14 hours each = still going strong

Less is more

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Here is part #2 to completely recondition my machine.
Cleaned up the rotor/armature, fan blade, gear box and repacked with new grease.

Figure 34: Rotor/armature out together with gear box

Figure 35: Close up of the accumulated dirt and grease - what ever goes in and comes out...

Figure 36: Opened up the gear box...

Figure 37: Spiral gear. Notice the black streak along the surface of the grease and also at the spindle lock mechanism. Grease not that bad or contaminated. However will go clean it up and repack it.

Figure 38: Spiral bevel gear connected directly to the final drive shaft. Perfect! No missing or worn down tooth. No dirt particulate trapped here.

Figure 39: Spiral gear tooth is also perfect! No missing or worn down tooth. Will detach the two bearing retainer plate screws later to remove the armature.

Figure 40: Gear box housing all cleaned up of old grease. Needle bearing in good order and cleaned up.

Figure 41: Rear assembly of gear box where the bearing retainerplate is screwed on and armature goes through. All cleaned up! Take note that I have installed one of the hex bolt to the right. The left hex bolt is not installed. This is to illustrate that dirt/air can actually get through this hole. If you are using a stick handle or gripping the Makita by the gear box, please cover up the hole by either installing the hex bolt or tape up the hole. When using only a hex bolt without the D-handle, preferably use a shorter one or else the original hex bolt will bottom out and touch the internal wall of the gear box - so do not over torque!

Figure 42: Rotor and cooling fan blade all cleaned up and reassembled onto stator body. Accidentally touched some grease on the edge of the stator body...

Figure 43: Reassembled rotor to gear box housing.

Figure 44: High temp grease to repack gear box. Do not really require high temp grease actually as gear box runs pretty cool

Figure 45: Repack and lightly grease spiral bevel gear.

Figure 46: Assemble gear box housing and readjust gear box alignment to main body for proper fit.

Some notes:
1. Prior to opening up the gear box, the drive shaft felt some play when rocking it side ways. After cleaning up and reassembling back everything, don't feel that free play any more... Something was not right prior to this. Also already bought a new set of high quality sealed bearings and tools only to find out not required anymore as the mechanism felt good now :hmmmm:
2. Power up and tested. All mechanism felt smooth and fine now.
3. Machine fully reconditioned. Ready to rumble!

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
u fix cars one ah?

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
u fix cars one ah?
Er... I DIY fix my own car-la from what I can do. Full time job definitely not detailing, not machine shop guy... also with long hours on job and family not enough time to detail car :biggrin: Maybe only got 3 hours to do something on the car on weekends... now with the Makita... maybe can do 1/2 panel or 1 panel at a time per week :rofl:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
ur description and detail of cleaning and "overhauling" ur makita is simply godlike

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
This is insane man... Hahaha... Insanely awesome. Open up until this extent and you serviced the machine. Save that money. Wonder how much if send back to makita to service.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Done with the heart of A TRUE DIYer. I've only gone as far as opening the head to inspect for any sign of wear or tear on the gears and dared not open the rest of the body parts.

Any tips or tricks or anything that I need to take particular attention to when going for the full monty? Can you show me the tools that you used/need, especially if there are any special ones?

This will go into my special bookmarks folder and printed out for future reference. Thanks a million.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Done with the heart of A TRUE DIYer. I've only gone as far as opening the head to inspect for any sign of wear or tear on the gears and dared not open the rest of the body parts.

Any tips or tricks or anything that I need to take particular attention to when going for the full monty? Can you show me the tools that you used/need, especially if there are any special ones?

This will go into my special bookmarks folder and printed out for future reference. Thanks a million.
Hi bro KrisMas, thanks. Maybe I can show how to do it in the next TT or DIT session step by step. Not difficult. Just sharing what I know and also to educate on preventive maintenance. Tools required depends on what you are doing.

Tools:
1. Philips head screw driver with small to large bit size. I use my battery operated screwdriver which comes with all the bits.
2. Long nose pliers
3. Blade or utility knife
4. Wire/cable cutter
5. Test pen
6. Large flat head screwdriver for carbon brush removal
7. Tweezers

Optional tools:
1. Multimeter would be useful to ensure connections, etc.
2. Soldering iron station with solder and corresponding accessories
3. Terminal lug for earthing point
4. Heat shrink wrap if you want to remove the stator from the main body or the control unit

Special tools for rotor bearing replacement:
1. Circlip pliers
2. Armature/bearing remover
3. 608LLB sealed bearing, preferably with a seal with single or double lip and oil/grease/dirt resistant
4. 6201LLB sealed bearing, preferably with a seal with single or double lip and oil/grease/dirt resistant
* Can get bearings easily from specialized bearing shops - brands such as FAG, NTN, etc

Bearing behind spiral bevel gear replacement:
1. Cut out ring (appropriate size) for disassembling and assembling bevel gear from/to the drive shaft.
2. Hydraulic press
3. 6201LLB sealed bearing

Other items:
1. Bearing grease - I only have high temp bearing grease which can withstand >240 deg Celsius but not required in this case as gear box is cool during operation.
2. Dry wax lube to prevent rusting of rotor shaft - can get from those pro bike shops for road bike chains

Here is the link to Makita service manual - not really much info though or technical
http://www.makita.nl/images/files/onderdelen/nl/9227CB-TE.pdf

Last edited:

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Not wanting to take away anybody's rice bowl. But DIY RULES! Great job, explanation and pics.:congrats:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I've already have the manual but thanks anyway.

My Leatherman should be able to cover the basic tools part and looks like I have everything you listed except for those for the bearings. Will have them in mind if I ever stopped at any hardware store.

There are some little hiccups/bugs with my Makita that I've been meading to address. And since now that I don't have to worry about not having a machine at hand if my Makita is unavailable, this should be a good long term weekend project to look into.

Million thanks for waking up the beast....hahahaha...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After using the Battery-free smartag that I DIY'ed before, I find it kinda
annoying and difficult especially if suddenly need to use the Smartag.:thefinger:

So, now I remove the wire and DIY a Switchable smartag that still use a battery. however, the battery will consume 0mA when it is switched off, therefore make it last longer.

Check it out!::smokin:

http://donsdiy.fotopic.net/c1526239.html
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience