B18C non type r~

304_RO

Nov 13, 2011
Sabah
i've been daily driven the stock OBD1 p72 manual b18c gsr engine in ek 4 doors almost 2 years now. It's a combination of highway and city road and all i can say it's a good engine with good fc thanks to its longer tranny. The down side by using the gsr tranny covered up with the higher torque number the b18c produced compare to b16a engine which have shorter tranny. I don't have the exact fc no. but i would say the fc is quite the same with 1.6liter sohc vtec auto previously in my engine bay with much much more power :biggrin:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Actually, we would all be surprised with the FC you get with B series engines. It's very fuel efficient. I once got about 11.5km/l city driving and about 13.3km/l highway driving and mine is a B20B. I reckon B16's and B18's should be better.

It mainly depends on how we drive.

304_RO

Nov 13, 2011
Sabah
yeah i guess but i could be wrong also. But if the thread starter question is if the b18c gsr is a good engine with a good fc then my answer is yes and you have a good foundation for upgrading in the future. My car currently in the process of rebuilding..i'm trying to hit 200whp mark with 1.8liter.

civicskunk2

Aug 13, 2008
yup. i agree with u. my car b18c with skunk2 cams compression 11.3. full tank rm70+++. Can go 400km (mix jam + highway). ron95 make the car real sluggish. but what to do....ron97 expensive ma...by the time i finished upgrade my car from b16a to b18c suddenly there was ron95. damn!!!!

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
yup. i agree with u. my car b18c with skunk2 cams compression 11.3. full tank rm70+++. Can go 400km (mix jam + highway). ron95 make the car real sluggish. but what to do....ron97 expensive ma...by the time i finished upgrade my car from b16a to b18c suddenly there was ron95. damn!!!!
the car sluggish with ron 95 is cause due to high compression? knocking?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Regardless of what engine you change, you still need to get it endorsed even if B16A to B16A because engine number is not the same. Engine number must match with engine number on grant. If you don't want to endorse, can also. You need to re-emboss (not sure if this is the right word) your actual engine number onto your new engine. This way, you can use 1.8L and still pay 1.6L road tax. The downside if JPJ or Puspakom happen to really check your engine number, then you are in trouble. But word is that it is not easy for them to find out unless they use some kind of chemical.

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Regardless of what engine you change, you still need to get it endorsed even if B16A to B16A because engine number is not the same. Engine number must match with engine number on grant. If you don't want to endorse, can also. You need to re-emboss (not sure if this is the right word) your actual engine number onto your new engine. This way, you can use 1.8L and still pay 1.6L road tax. The downside if JPJ or Puspakom happen to really check your engine number, then you are in trouble. But word is that it is not easy for them to find out unless they use some kind of chemical.
means if i wanna safe on road tax i transplant a B16A first then later future only upgrade to B18C block? it is plug and play? if i dont endorse also nvm la? just if they dont stop and open my bonnet right?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
How come the post I replied to is missing? Or did I post at the wrong thread?

I mean this post:

I posted this because you were saying that if you transplant a B16, you don't have to endorse and stuff like that. Where is that post? Haha.

Anyway, if I were you, I'll just go for the B18C GSR straight away and re-emboss your current B16 engine number. Unless you want to use a B16 head instead of a B18C GSR. The only difference between these two are the compression and header choice i think. Iirc, the B18C GSR has higher compression but limited header choice as compared to B16.

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
How come the post I replied to is missing? Or did I post at the wrong thread?

I mean this post:

I posted this because you were saying that if you transplant a B16, you don't have to endorse and stuff like that. Where is that post? Haha.

Anyway, if I were you, I'll just go for the B18C GSR straight away and re-emboss your current B16 engine number. Unless you want to use a B16 head instead of a B18C GSR. The only difference between these two are the compression and header choice i think. Iirc, the B18C GSR has higher compression but limited header choice as compared to B16.
then GSR can pump ron 95? limited header? the extractor part? exhaust system?

civicskunk2

Aug 13, 2008
yup....higher compression higher RON. if you look closely to every car specs you will notice every new car compression is 10 or below. turbo cars like peogeot, vw, merc all 10 compression. but for type r all is 11 and above. GSR is below 11. some honda tuners make 14. at the end he sell his car coz he need to pour in RON99. where you gonna find this????

it sad that malaysia forcing us to use RON95. i heard the goverment said RON97 for those who have expensive cars. so rich people should use RON97. but the problem is expensive cars can use RON95.So rich people become richer...

i'll bet this year honda tuners will think twice before the upgrade their car to type r. for those have plenty of money that is a different story...

i'll also heard that if you have HONDATA all knocking problem can be solved. this i'm not to sure.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

dear mr ddv nk12, i think its not wise to not endorse your engine coz you break the law. so better kept it low. its very dangerous if you try to cheat the law. remember if you get caught u will loose ur car.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Actually, we would all be surprised with the FC you get with B series engines. It's very fuel efficient. I once got about 11.5km/l city driving and about 13.3km/l highway driving and mine is a B20B. I reckon B16's and B18's should be better.

It mainly depends on how we drive.
bro u sure this statement? if like that i will go for b series since i wanna use ....it as daily driving....cause currently with 1.6 sohc non vtec manual, rm10/ 50-60km...... still struggling b series or turboed d16 , the reason i think the d will save more fuel is because when i am at 80km/h, the rpm not even 2400rpm..... tested fren's ef2 b16a with cam and other hardware mods..... rm30 Ron97 run not reach 100km..... and other fren's eg b16a, 300km per full tank.... that is not scary enough, the scary part is,80km/h 3k++ rpm..... i think this parts is the most suck fuel parts...

and i wanna ask u bro, for b18c gsr to go into eg, mounting need mod? mounting on the gearbox or mounting on the body nid mod?:listen::listen::wavey:

Ling Reiden

From Facebook
Nov 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
i've been daily driven the stock OBD1 p72 manual b18c gsr engine in ek 4 doors almost 2 years now. It's a combination of highway and city road and all i can say it's a good engine with good fc thanks to its longer tranny. The down side by using the gsr tranny covered up with the higher torque number the b18c produced compare to b16a engine which have shorter tranny. I don't have the exact fc no. but i would say the fc is quite the same with 1.6liter sohc vtec auto previously in my engine bay with much much more power :biggrin:
i own a B16 and my friend D16 both are vtec,FC wise no prob 1 week pump only 1 time full tank...and full tank is around 60+ kao tim d...not too heavy foot ....mine MT and my friends AT

bro u sure this statement? if like that i will go for b series since i wanna use ....it as daily driving....cause currently with 1.6 sohc non vtec manual, rm10/ 50-60km...... still struggling b series or turboed d16 , the reason i think the d will save more fuel is because when i am at 80km/h, the rpm not even 2400rpm..... tested fren's ef2 b16a with cam and other hardware mods..... rm30 Ron97 run not reach 100km..... and other fren's eg b16a, 300km per full tank.... that is not scary enough, the scary part is,80km/h 3k++ rpm..... i think this parts is the most suck fuel parts...

and i wanna ask u bro, for b18c gsr to go into eg, mounting need mod? mounting on the gearbox or mounting on the body nid mod?:listen::listen::wavey:
ya as peterj says so...my friend SOHC vtec auto rpm not even 3000 rpm gb already changes to top gear..so no chance to try his sohc vtec:banghead:but i told him go for vtec controller make it 3000 rpm open :biggrin: and for all dohc vtec...almost 3000 rpm air filter sounds is started to be different and almost 5000 rpm you can prepare to hear screaming d :rofl:thats why it sucks lot fuel like tap water lol

aziziell

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2007
wanna ask friends
how about b18c gsr with b16a head
coz many of gsr head come with auto tranny cam.if i don want change manual cam n i change all complete head to 16a manual, how about the power?anybody have expirience in this?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
wanna ask friends
how about b18c gsr with b16a head
coz many of gsr head come with auto tranny cam.if i don want change manual cam n i change all complete head to 16a manual, how about the power?anybody have expirience in this?
better for u to get just the cams....itll be cheaper too.. the GSR head has about 0.2 higher compression than all other B series head. ull lose that compression if u go with the B16A head.

and not forgetting, ull have to get the intake manifold as well, as the GSR head wont fit other B series intake manifolds..

the GSR head is actually an advantage to some extent.. its unique when compared to other B series VTEC head. slightly higher compression and different IM inlet....though it may be a lil tougher to get aftermarket IMs for GSR head...they are available out there and can be easily found if u look in the right places.

plus... u can get B18C Type R cams out there for around RM1k-1.2k..if including installation, i think itll still be cheaper than replacing it with B16A head + B16A cams. ull make better power too.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Happy Merdeka from the detailien HIVE.

Whatever the problems our country is going through. It IS still Merdeka!

Following the colors of our Malaysian flag.... Blue, Yellow, Red and White....

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience