Achilles ATR Sport

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just to share my experiences hunting for a pair of donuts with the size 225/45/17, before I finally settle for an Achilles ATR Sport. My search begun when I find that my Falken 912 is showing signs of coming to end its useful life. My experience with 912 is both bitter sweet. Sweet was when it’s new and relatively new, things start to go wrong from 20K mileage onwards. Indeed, 912 induce rev happy behavior, especially during dry run. In wet, its not too bad, but this was then when it’s still new, and like I said after 20K onwards, it makes me sweat whenever it’s raining. Hydro planning is horrible and hard braking during wet is almost sliding. There are at least 3 instances where I power slide- side way (drift), lost traction on while cornering. After the 3rd incident, I believe I really need to search for replacement and plan a trip to Klang.
Off I went with a friend to Klang – GW tyre, my regular place and met up with Ah Koon the boss. Ah Koon duly greet me and my friend, and introduced – Mayrun tyres- Made in China. Well Mayrun tyre from very limited resources gathered from the internet, is not bad, and use in drifting event. It was offered to me @ RM225/pcs for 215/45/17. Then he introduced Nexxen N6000 and N8000 for RM 290 and RM360 respectively. Well considering the price, it’s very tempting. And finally, to stop me from leaving, he introduce made in Thailand – Thunderer for RM270.00. As I am just surveying my option, I politely decline and head back to KL.
Next I checked out Achilles and Accellera, both from the land of Ganyang ( Indonesia). Now, being a regular reader of Hypertune magazine, Accellera is no stranger to me. Did an internet check, well apparently review is not good. Some feedback that its’ sidewall’s soft, which was confirmed by Ah Koon earlier. Then, I checked on Achilles ATR Sport, and surprisingly feedbacks are mostly positive. Of course, as with any brand, there are criticisms, but nothing serious, in fact, there are regular users and they are happily using it for long time.

Finally, I decided to go for Achilles, factoring price vs benefit, which I think ATR Sport is not bad. Went with 215/45/17, and my review is it’s definitely not bad – in dry, its stable, with good response and grip. It’s not too noisy, although there is definitely some audible sound, but hey.. I think I can live with it. By now, it is fully run in, and I am happy to say if the ratings are correct at thread wear 400, traction AA, this is a value for money brand. Performance tyre it is not, but for occasional spirited drive, I hope it won’t let me down. But I can safely conclude that a new ATR sport is definitely much safer than a 2-3 years old Falken. Whether it can perform the same after 2-3 years is for me to know and you to find out.
Sharing is caring, please do share your experience with Achilles, at least forumers can be kept inform about this brand, good or bad…
:rock:

Attachments

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
how much is it the price?and where did u bought the tire,tq

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ATR Sport is a cheap high performance tyre (not ultra high, just high). I would say it's comparable with the Yoko S-drive at most but no fight for the RE001 / PS3 range of tyres. But at that price no one will care!

My only advice to you having been a Achilles user is when you have the chance, upgrade to the 123. :biggrin:

Oh and since the threadwear is very high, the wear of the thread is very slow but that doesn't mean the tyre will last forever. My previous Achilles lasted me 3 years before it exploded on the highway going back on CNY eve. Still had plenty of thread and I guess the heat from the highway drive finally killed it. I suspect it would've lasted even longer had I just stuck to city driving. So be cautious if your thread is still good after 2 years plus.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My search begun when I find that my Falken 912 is showing signs of coming to end its useful life. My experience with 912 is both bitter sweet. Sweet was when it’s new and relatively new, things start to go wrong from 20K mileage onwards.
Most tyres after half worn will show signs of aquaplaning, depending on how heavy the rain is, and traction should degrade in the wet, however dry grip and handling will still be there....

I agree with bro. Iszo, even in Hypertune magazine, this tyre were sponsored to one of the project car. Of course nothing bad was written about it, because sponsored mah! but they word in such a way then wet handling is not at par with other UHP tyres.
Of course this new tyres will handle better then your old Ziex 912 (quite worn as you mentioned)
You may want to take a look at GT Radial HPX and HPY for future change.....:driver:

Wrock83

Mar 30, 2006
Bro, i am not advertising or anything but you can find them in KL, price 215/45/17 - RM220
Hoo... so cheap! I got this RM240@205/45/17 last year September.

For my last 6 months experience, this tyre only can normal daily use, i won't call it performance tyre.
The tyre of grip is very bad when the speed at 120km/h above or braking at high speed (don't talk about cornering). It is really not stable when on the straight highway.

I got same experience with Izso when my Maxxis tyre after 3 years still got 60% thread exploded on the highway.

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
hi all

i am discussion a good set of tyre for my car too in MLOC forum. but still not decided which is the best option. as now it rains everyday and i travel a lot on highway, i'm going to need a good set of tyre.

a lot of good review on Eagle F1 Asym 2, but dont know if it can suits my car or not. any comment guys for 235/45/17 tyre?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hi all

i am discussion a good set of tyre for my car too in MLOC forum. but still not decided which is the best option. as now it rains everyday and i travel a lot on highway, i'm going to need a good set of tyre.

a lot of good review on Eagle F1 Asym 2, but dont know if it can suits my car or not. any comment guys for 235/45/17 tyre?
I am having one set on my VR, and loving them, but my size is 215/45R17 only.
For 235 size, still have to be careful with aquaplaning....

Others in this class, Michelin PS3, Conti CSC5

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi All,
thanks for the feedback, it is definitely not a UHP tyre, and as the name suggest ATR- Sport ( i assume its all terrain racing- sport) which was meant to cover a lot of grounds, that's the reason its treadwear is 400. Well usually, a tyre into its 4th or 5th year, will lose its functionality regardless of whether the tread still looks good or not. I would say, I am lucky if it can last till 3rd year and after that look for a replacement. What I am thinking is, after 6 months, i will rotate this tyre to the rear, and change a brand new - maybe Nexxen into the front. Anyway rear tyres last longer, maybe can put a cheaper one behind but maintain a more reputable brand in front, more for safety reason.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi All,
thanks for the feedback, it is definitely not a UHP tyre, and as the name suggest ATR- Sport ( i assume its all terrain racing- sport) which was meant to cover a lot of grounds, that's the reason its treadwear is 400. Well usually, a tyre into its 4th or 5th year, will lose its functionality regardless of whether the tread still looks good or not. I would say, I am lucky if it can last till 3rd year and after that look for a replacement. What I am thinking is, after 6 months, i will rotate this tyre to the rear, and change a brand new - maybe Nexxen into the front. Anyway rear tyres last longer, maybe can put a cheaper one behind but maintain a more reputable brand in front, more for safety reason.
For two tyres changed method for FWD cars, the new tyres should go to the rears so that the old tyres fitted to the front can be finished off.
Another thing is putting the lesser grip tyres in the rears, if you have over steer, harder to control then under steer

Tip No:6
Michelin Malaysia - Tyre Safety Tips - http://www.michelin.com.my - www.michelin.com.my

Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
hi all

I'm a happy and very much satisfied user of both the earlier Asymmetric and now currently using the Asymmetric 2. I do a fair bit of highway driving and my speed is pretty much the same regardless of conditions so don't worry about rain as you're buying one of the best wet weather tyres around.

I am having one set on my VR, and loving them, but my size is 215/45R17 only.
For 235 size, still have to be careful with aquaplaning....

Others in this class, Michelin PS3, Conti CSC5
Would a wider tyre but in 18s aquaplane more by any chance? So far I've yet to experience any form of aquaplaning and I've ermm seen videos of the tyre performing in wet weather conditions and I believe the video seals the deal for most people.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
[PIMPIN];1063909742 said:
I'm a happy and very much satisfied user of both the earlier Asymmetric and now currently using the Asymmetric 2. I do a fair bit of highway driving and my speed is pretty much the same regardless of conditions so don't worry about rain as you're buying one of the best wet weather tyres around.

Would a wider tyre but in 18s aquaplane more by any chance? So far I've yet to experience any form of aquaplaning and I've ermm seen videos of the tyre performing in wet weather conditions and I believe the video seals the deal for most people.
There is always a more likely chance of aquaplaning with wider tyres. Maybe not 235 or 245, as it depends on the car weight also. Even though the wider it gets like 265 size additional grooves are added, but the tendency to float is always there as the wider it gets, the harder to channel all the water away. Also depends on how much water we are going through....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
During the 4G1Series trackday, one Iswara was using Achilles 123 and apparently the tyres overheated after a few laps and just didn't grip anymore after that. Cheap semislicks but cheap performance I guess.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
During the 4G1Series trackday, one Iswara was using Achilles 123 and apparently the tyres overheated after a few laps and just didn't grip anymore after that. Cheap semislicks but cheap performance I guess.
Just a few days ago, one member inform me of his track day in Sepang.
Using normal road tyre (non semi slick) he first use 38psi, started to loose grip after a few laps.
Then he tried at 28psi and was surprised it gripped better.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does the halfcut biz owner survive after tis june? as Govermnt goin to stop all 2nd hand imported part to m'sia. Is it true?
Those with after market engine like 4g63, 6a12tt, 4g9x wher to look for sparepart in future? Thx for sharing..........
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience