seg auto gear shifting

Apr 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
hi there..I am new to corolla seg 1.6 2001....Im using an auto gearbox with 4a-fe engine but it seems to shift up at around 5.2k rpm instead of 6k rpm, also the it doesnt shift down from gear 2 to gear 1 if i release and press the gas pedal fully :hmmmm:

Not really sure whether this should happen or not...is it normal for my car to be like this?:confused:

Is it ok for me to use L, 2 and O/D off to drive instead of letting it being D, because using gear L, 2 and O/D, I can acquire the power i wanted at high end rpm,around 5.9k...would appreciate for ur advice~ :biggrin:

jeffchan1901

Sep 22, 2006
sorry to say I think something might be wrong with your GB. my 2001 AT shifts around the 2k mark during casual normal drive. if depress fully changes around 3+k, but pick up is really slow.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I used auto 4AFE before. Shift points depends on rpm as well as load. If you press the pedal more, it will shift at higher rpm. At light load, mine shift around 2k rpm. At moderate load, it sift around 2.5-3k rpm. If I floor it, it shifts around 6k rpm +/- 200 rpm. It is never exact at the redline. The ECU will make all the decisions.

And it seldom shift down to gear 1 even though you press it more. This is normal. Unless you speed is extremely slow. Below (30-40 km/h). Because the first gear has a very low ratio. Its a safety feature. If it shifts down to gear 1 when your car is fast, your wheels car lock up for a while and your engine swings to very high rpm all of a sudden - putting extreme load on the engine.

It is programmed that way for a reason. Mine was the same.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hahaha no wonder... I see a sudden bump up of ae111 posts all done by jeffchan

jeffchan1901

Sep 22, 2006
Haha, just acquired a pre-owned 2001 model and was looking around the posts. Saw an enquiry and thought to share. further more sharing is caring right? ;-)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, will be good for others when they look up on the post, but looking at TS one time post looks like he hit and run dy......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): Having seen the Sultan of Johor's Veyron last week, here's another! Most likely to be based in KL, but unsure if it's already being owned or delivered to the showroom. Another member, mivec682 also spotted the Veyron at another location sporting a UK license plate. A nice 0-250mph drag between the 2 would be the battle of the century!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience