Help me learn about K-Car

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Hi all sifus,
recently, i had my future brother in law (younger than me), test out the celica turbo..
He was so addicted to the boost on the first try till i am on the passenger side stepping on an imaginary brake. He was so eager to play with a turbo and he asked me to do it on my mom in law's kancil 660 5Speed. I did not have time yet to do the research thoroughly, and i want to ask inside here as experience is far better than heavenly crafted facts.

I want to know, what is the difference between an L2,L5,L6,L7,L9? Don't say the number is the difference. (i bet someone like izso or Stupidcar will say this).
I really want to know and i'm scared if i ask from a local chopshop or K-Car conversion store, they will just see me as a dumb kid who has no knowledge on cars other than his own celica. and then they will con the cash out of me.
The facts from wikipedia is not that much, that's why i want to ask it in here.
My brother in law plans to dump in an L5, when i ask what is the price for an L5 manual halfcut, they quote me RM3000. When i ask to one shop who does conversion, he quote me RM2200 for auto L5 turbo and RM 2600 if its a manual. Installation is RM500 which were much to my expectation.
But what he says actually trigger me to ask this question, he said, he will be taking the L5 from an L6 because both of it bear the same engine. he said if i were to take up the L5 halfcut, it will cost more than the L6 halfcut.
Help me someone..
i wanna learn so badly...Because my brother in law already send the car to my house as he can't wait for the turbo conversion to be done. =.=:slug:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
If the base car on Kancil 660, probably best the L9 suited your requirement.
The L5, L7 exceed your limit of engine transplant. If I not mistaken.

Modified the K-car shouldn't be a problem as you able to source tons of parts in halfcuts.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi all sifus,
recently, i had my future brother in law (younger than me), test out the celica turbo..
He was so addicted to the boost on the first try till i am on the passenger side stepping on an imaginary brake. He was so eager to play with a turbo and he asked me to do it on my mom in law's kancil 660 5Speed. I did not have time yet to do the research thoroughly, and i want to ask inside here as experience is far better than heavenly crafted facts.

I want to know, what is the difference between an L2,L5,L6,L7,L9? Don't say the number is the difference. (i bet someone like izso or Stupidcar will say this).
I really want to know and i'm scared if i ask from a local chopshop or K-Car conversion store, they will just see me as a dumb kid who has no knowledge on cars other than his own celica. and then they will con the cash out of me.
The facts from wikipedia is not that much, that's why i want to ask it in here.
My brother in law plans to dump in an L5, when i ask what is the price for an L5 manual halfcut, they quote me RM3000. When i ask to one shop who does conversion, he quote me RM2200 for auto L5 turbo and RM 2600 if its a manual. Installation is RM500 which were much to my expectation.
But what he says actually trigger me to ask this question, he said, he will be taking the L5 from an L6 because both of it bear the same engine. he said if i were to take up the L5 halfcut, it will cost more than the L6 halfcut.
Help me someone..
i wanna learn so badly...Because my brother in law already send the car to my house as he can't wait for the turbo conversion to be done. =.=:slug:
Depends on how much your Brother in Law want to go in this mod. If he plans to just want the turbo feel (which I doubt, after awhile he sure want more out of it) then just transplant L5/L2 is fine.

Is more like a PnP thingy. L2 has tons of parts and easier to mod. Just vibration is slightly more than L5 engine. L2 you can mod it up to like 200hp which is crazy to to do so. I think 130-150hp is already more than crazy in a kancil.

L2/L2s is 3 cylinder and potential to mod and have lots of parts.

L5 is a 4 cylinder engine whereby you will have smoother ride but limited to mod. Best not to even exceed more than 140hp or your engine will kaboom. If i'm not mistaken, L5 is using timing chain and not timing belt.

If he is the only one driving and no home minister gonna touch the car, go for Manual.

You might be able to source more info in our Kcar discussion here or u may bring your question to this thread instead because it will be consider as double thread.

And oh, if you plan for L2, try to source for L2s instead. :top:

Read up from page 1 onwards, I believe the info there would be quite sufficient to let u decide.
Difference between L2 & L5

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
EF DET is from which model?
for hardcore mods on l2s, need to refer to Terengganu & Kelantan l2s owners, they are well vast with those mods.
EF-DET from Move L9. Also a very potential engine.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
In terms of cost price,souring which engine better?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
In terms of cost price,souring which engine better?
souring?

I'm a L5 4cyl engine user, code name JB-JL... for me, once you go 4cyl route, you will never go back to 3 cyl from the likes of EF series (L2, L2S, even L5/L6/L7/L9 oso got EF series)

both has its weak and strong points... but to say one is more manja than the other, i disagree... the 4cyl JB series, yes with its timing-chain & magnesium head its hard to do top overhaul correctly... but there are shops capable, given the correct amount of money

but i've never seen a 3cyl EF version survives a daily driven chore for a year after an overhaul without suffering from overheat and/or clouds of white smokes...

My advice for you, is test drive both engine and give your verdict afterwards... in term of reliablity and maintainability, no engine is more than the other...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
wah... so see me up ah?

I was gonna give you a constructive comment but now I'm no longer motivated to do it. :thefinger:

I was gonna tell you the L5 exceeds your CC 30% increase maximum but now I'm gonna say screw it - just do it. 4 cylinder glory.
I was gonna tell you the L2 is rev happier compared to the slower L5 but now I'm gonna say screw it - just do it too. 3 cylinder glory.

L9 I have no idea. But if I recall better - might need to cut some parts of the front chassis to fit the engine/turbo/manifold or something. I can't remember. Either way I'm no longer interested in giving constructive comments. HAHAHAHA! :thefinger:

Btw, I hope your relative understands that turbocharging a bathtub compared to a Celica means he's putting himself more at risk considering how small and light the car is. Better beef up those brakes and suspension before doing his engine and keep it completely stock turbo too. There's nothing scarier than being responsible for anything bad happening to an overly enthusiastic family member.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
considering u r using imaginary brake while he was driving, best not to go all the way 1st, he needs to learn the hard way of maintaining a "snail inside" kei car, best go for ef 3 inline for it's better durability against heavy footing, increasing hp means increasing safety measures means more moolah needs to be poured in. btw inside a small car running @ 140km/h the feeling is already tremendous, he'll be satisfied for the moment. until he truly understand how the car lives, how to be a good owner, how to be responsible driver, a stock L2 is sufficient. just my 2 cents worth:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Once upon a time, on a fine night, drove back to hometown...
arrived and the night is still young...

Bla...Bla...Bla...

Cut the story short before you guys fall asleep, so as stated, since is still early, went to
a Hypermarket nearby to check out some Car Care Products, never thought of buying
anything but just have a look at what are the stuffs that I MIGHT need to use...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience