claying

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
It definitely is cuz clay won't leave anything behind that would cause water to bead....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro droll, have you had a thought why the need to clay your car so many times? Sometimes over applying sealant/wax cause dirt to get trapped in more easily. Opti seal/OCW should go on thin, spread evenly and easily. Once cured it should give you some decent amount of protection before the need to clay again. Well i could be wrong, probably due to the environment that your car is in (parked in open, dirty/dusty, etc) or perhaps the paint itself (prone to oxidization, UV damage, etc).
Prevention is better than cure :nurse:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Wow DarkAccon use so kaw ah... I use about one cap (1 oz) to 500 mL water only... Even that is already more than their recommendation. But I guess it is okay to put extra. Just don't use overly dilute mixtures...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I gotta say man, claying is one of the most tiring job to do. Spray, glide left right left right until smooth, the rinse, then repeat, the fold the clay, then repeat repeat and repeat. Took me an hour to finish it on a myvi lol.

Droll, you clay your whole car after every wash or parts of it only? If whole car...man u've gotta participate in those marathon or iron man contest.
I find claying quite easy, or maybe your car is very dirty....:rolleyes:

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro droll, have you had a thought why the need to clay your car so many times? Sometimes over applying sealant/wax cause dirt to get trapped in more easily. Opti seal/OCW should go on thin, spread evenly and easily. Once cured it should give you some decent amount of protection before the need to clay again. Well i could be wrong, probably due to the environment that your car is in (parked in open, dirty/dusty, etc) or perhaps the paint itself (prone to oxidization, UV damage, etc).
Prevention is better than cure :nurse:
nolah, just that i like the after effect of claying. i find that washing doesn't completely clean the car. and this is partly due to the quality of water supply from our taps and i cannot satisfactorily keep a micro fibre cloth super duper clean no matter what i do. when i dry the car, i can still spot some dirt left (tiny little watermarks). with claying, i seem to have a lot less of that problem. that's why i was thinking of claying during each wash.

i park my car in the open air because my house doesn't have a covered porch. i have parked my previous rides before before in my house porch over the years and find that after a few months water marks will appear on the glass and it cannot be removed (except with something very acidic or by some intense scrubbing / sanding of the glass - but that's another story). after speaking with bro KC he said it is likely caused by rain water dripping down or splashing off from the roof, walls, etc of my house onto the car. i've spoken to another megiuars detailer before and he said the same thing. it's either from the house or tree sap (since no tree so must be house). that's why i park my car by the roadside outside my house.

so the car is super exposed to rain and sun. :(

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But claying more for surface contaminants only, like rough surface that you can feel. Water marks better use polish to remove....

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But claying more for surface contaminants only, like rough surface that you can feel. Water marks better use polish to remove....
yes, that is true but the water marks i'm talking about are not the permanent type. you know when you use a wet cloth to dry a window and after it dries you can still see dry water streak marks on the glass?

it's the same with the car body. so these are not the type of marks that need polishing to remove.

having said that, my car's paint is bad in need of a polish......lots of surface defects. this is the one thing i don't have time (or know how) to do. prefer to get someone else to do it. but difficult lah. most of the really good detailers that i know don't have a shop and they do it at your house. problem is my house doesn't have covered porch and they need one full day to do polishing. haih!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes, that is true but the water marks i'm talking about are not the permanent type. you know when you use a wet cloth to dry a window and after it dries you can still see dry water streak marks on the glass?

it's the same with the car body. so these are not the type of marks that need polishing to remove.

having said that, my car's paint is bad in need of a polish......lots of surface defects. this is the one thing i don't have time (or know how) to do. prefer to get someone else to do it. but difficult lah. most of the really good detailers that i know don't have a shop and they do it at your house. problem is my house doesn't have covered porch and they need one full day to do polishing. haih!
Okay, understand what you mean on those water marks. Then I think your paint have no protection at all. For me after every wash I top up the sealant protection.....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
nolah, just that i like the after effect of claying. i find that washing doesn't completely clean the car. and this is partly due to the quality of water supply from our taps and i cannot satisfactorily keep a micro fibre cloth super duper clean no matter what i do. when i dry the car, i can still spot some dirt left (tiny little watermarks). with claying, i seem to have a lot less of that problem. that's why i was thinking of claying during each wash.

i park my car in the open air because my house doesn't have a covered porch. i have parked my previous rides before before in my house porch over the years and find that after a few months water marks will appear on the glass and it cannot be removed (except with something very acidic or by some intense scrubbing / sanding of the glass - but that's another story). after speaking with bro KC he said it is likely caused by rain water dripping down or splashing off from the roof, walls, etc of my house onto the car. i've spoken to another megiuars detailer before and he said the same thing. it's either from the house or tree sap (since no tree so must be house). that's why i park my car by the roadside outside my house.

so the car is super exposed to rain and sun. :(
Need to fix a gutter on your roof edge to channel the water somewhere. Also put on a coat of waterproofing layer before you paint your walls with weatherbond... :biggrin:

Do you use OCW regularly after every wash or so? Or is it plain opti-seal?

May i suggest you try other sealant/waxes instead. My opinion, opti seal is good and easy to use but does have its weakness too (don't want to elaborate, different people different criteria). Try other wax/sealants instead to see if it works better for you.

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Need to fix a gutter on your roof edge to channel the water somewhere. Also put on a coat of waterproofing layer before you paint your walls with weatherbond... :biggrin:

Do you use OCW regularly after every wash or so? Or is it plain opti-seal?

May i suggest you try other sealant/waxes instead. My opinion, opti seal is good and easy to use but does have its weakness too (don't want to elaborate, different people different criteria). Try other wax/sealants instead to see if it works better for you.

yeah, i have to remember to do the waterproof coating for the walls but for roof tiles how?

i use zymol wax - not OCW even though i have a bottle of OCW. zymol is quite hard. i usually put optiseal first then zymol on top of it.

junbecks

Jul 9, 2007
just to share,
I have clayed a BMW 318 before (year 1995-1997).
It was repainted sometime in 2005 to purple and the bumper didnt have clearcoat.
I was claying the bumper and all of a sudden my white clay turned purple.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Since we're on the topic of claying - I wanna ask about using ONR as lube. I noticed that ONR will streak if it's left to dry on its on and according to the instructions it's best to wipe it dry as soon as possible. Does this mean then the process would be clay + ONR lube then dry?

Also what is your ONR mix proportions? 1 part to 3 parts water?
i clay all the cars i do with only water =.= ONR is overrated, and spraying ONR dillution for claying? =D try it with water then try it with ONR then u tell me whats different

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

just to share,
I have clayed a BMW 318 before (year 1995-1997).
It was repainted sometime in 2005 to purple and the bumper didnt have clearcoat.
I was claying the bumper and all of a sudden my white clay turned purple.
since u mention that the bumper had no clear coat on it, which means you are claying the paint off the body. stop doing that or u end up repainting it again

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i clay all the cars i do with only water =.= ONR is overrated, and spraying ONR dillution for claying? =D try it with water then try it with ONR then u tell me whats different
with water is more aggressive. ONR act as lube (slippery) so is sliding over and not taken as much contaminants as plain water itself....:biggrin:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
s1tl, I would think you'd need something a little bit more lubricative (is there such a word?) than water for claying...maybe a few drops of shampoo (at the least) would suffice. The difference won't be on the result or how much contaminant was removed, but how much marring it leaves/creates. But, saying that, no such worries if you plan to do some polishing afterwards....*peace*

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
well, i clay right after i wash the car, does seem to leave any marring doesnt seem to be not sliperry?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can some body tell me...the ecu 4g91 code 7375,5660 and 1234....which 1 is better...and wat the different between 5660 and 7375...pls help...urgent...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience