DC2R speedometer stops working!

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hello Honda sifus,

My car's speedometer suddenly stops working while I was on my way to work today. By that, I mean the needle is stuck at 0 km/h. Strangely, all the other meters (odometer, trip meter, fuel gauge) works perfectly fine.

I'm planning to inspect the VSS on top of the gbox later today. Anything else should I look for? Any advice?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Hello Honda sifus,

My car's speedometer suddenly stops working while I was on my way to work today. By that, I mean the needle is stuck at 0 km/h. Strangely, all the other meters (odometer, trip meter, fuel gauge) works perfectly fine.

I'm planning to inspect the VSS on top of the gbox later today. Anything else should I look for? Any advice?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
i think your speed sensor already damage or kong....also check the sensor socket..if the socket ok..so the sensor was the cause..need to change the speed sensor,already face this problem once..changing the sensor...all ok then..:)

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the reply!

How much did it cause to change the sensor? Where did you get it done?

Also, did your CEL light came on when your speedo died?

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
could u open VTEC? usually if VSS kaput... u no have VTEC.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a go after work. Anyway, if VSS is kaput, would the odometer still work?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
ive heard of cases where VSS kaput and odometer still working... and ive also heard cases like urs... so not really sure

EGfan

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Not sure if the DC2R VSS is similar to b16, but i bought the vss for sv4 and worked fine. Should cost around RM150-180.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Update:

Well, my Vtec definitely works. On my drive after work, the meter suddenly worked again. However, this morning it's back at 0km/h. After a few kilometers of driving, it's alive again...So, I'm guessing a cable or wire loose somewhere..or even the fuse..maybe..

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Has this been solved?

I had the same problem previously. First, the speed sensor was faulty. Had it changed. It was working fine. Not long after that, it was jumping. Like it will show 180km/h when u r probably driving at 70km/h. This time the socket was loose. So, had it changed again. Till now, no more problem.

I would suggest you to check the socket first. Make sure it's not loose. If problem still persists, then I guess it's about time to change the speed sensor.

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Thanks for the reply!

How much did it cause to change the sensor? Where did you get it done?

Also, did your CEL light came on when your speedo died?

new sensor around 150-180,spare parts have that item,any worshop can done that...no,CEL not came on....just my rpm cut at 4000 rpm as my car have launch control...huhu...change the socket or sensor..then your problems will solve bro............

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Friends,

We all love our cars & like to improve our rides (if u're not, u won't come to ZTH, right?) :biggrin:

I would like to know how do u measure improvement of torque & hp without putting ur car to a dyno machine..?

Especially after u bolt on some simple performance part..

Let me share how i do it 1st.. i'm not a pro.. so, my method is not exactly correct..

IDLE SPEED
the 1st thing i would do is take note what rpm my engine idle before and after i bolt on the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience