Evo 9 Steering Vibrate at 230km/h

kampoon

1,000 RPM
Mar 4, 2006
ask some one who got GT wing to swap the boot bonet with you ler....

?nDc?s?ve

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
damansara
As for the gt wing thingy..Not sure this helps but just to share, i've driven more than that with stock wing and have yet to encounter such probs.. but no harm trying i guess, just becareful.. Any mishaps at that speed aint gona be pretty :)

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Non of my friend who drove evo had gt wing :(.
But weird hu, i was thinking, if it is because of aerodynamic, why will the steering vibrate heavily? Shouldn't that if the steering is vibrating, it had to be cause by things that related/connected to the steering like driveshaft, etc?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
clanzkiller,
Agreed & maybe the reason.
Normally if the problem related/connected to the steering like driveshaft.
You will experience at every level of speed (low/high)

Refer to your problem, it only happened at certain speed which is above the normal limit.

Last edited:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Aaaa shit, another new problem.

I started the car in the morning yesterday, and i reverse and turn to get out of my house. Suddenly, i heard a squeaking sound while i turning, and i tried again, when i turn to maximum right, the sound will appear. If i keep it at maximum turn, the sound will constantly appear. So i try left turn, and also the same sound. Moving or not moving, the sound will appear.
Today, i tried again, and this time i heard 'air' sound, instead of squeaking... AYC? Transfer case?

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
only happens at lock-to-lock eh? sounds like a loose belting jer
Ya lock-to-lock.. Which belt? Serpentine or timing belt?
Eh, wanna ask u guys, is it normal when full turn lock-to-lock L/R, u wil hear air hissing sound?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the belt connected to the power steering pump, check dat.. come to think of it, ive even experience it after tightening the belt, but only at lock-to-lock position

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
check your tyre carefully....otherwise your steering rack.....
If tyres or rims, I think can feel when I accelerate at 120km/h or when pressing brake, right? I tested 180km/h, nothing happen, smooth like airplane auto-pilot..lol..
I remember I once went to do my alignment, and the guy said my chamber position is not match, and cannot make both side match, he then try to measure from fender to tires length. And guess what, he found out that front L/R is diff length with each other. And he checked whether I've accident before, and no. The soldering is too neat, no odd shape. Maybe before the car export from japan got accident or not I dunno la, u know la japan technology.
So my car, no matter how the chamber was aligned, it won't match L/R. one side sure lari a lil bit. And my car sure go left when I didn't hold steering and put it straigh even after alignment.

I'm using diaqueen wor. And, the last time I change fluid was like 6 months ago. Have not do anything beside normal service after changin the PS fluid.

the belt connected to the power steering pump, check dat.. come to think of it, ive even experience it after tightening the belt, but only at lock-to-lock position
Ok will do. Thx :)
U meant yours also got air hissing sound??

Previously a weird sound that appear only during rain, and the sometimes when cold start, can hear the rattling sound (metal scratching) underneath the car for like 3 secs?
And then free racing clutch sound "either alternator or some other component bearing worned".
And vibration at 230km/h.
And now steering got cicak sound..

Aduuhaiiiiii.... all the prOblem so rare one...

Last edited:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Evo IX Weird sound during rains. - YouTube
watch this guys and help me to figure out this sound!
It only happen when raining, be it dizzy or heavy rain. And is not WATER SPLASHED! It happen during cruising at low or high speed, and even idling.
Sounds and vibration can felt it from the mid console/handbrake part. When it rattle, even my gear knob also can feel the vibration.

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I hv never encounter d problem u mentioned... Been riding d 9 for more than 7 years now... No such vibration at 230!!! Hmm... So i think its best tht u send your car for thorough check especially d steering system including d pump... Cos it really sound weird tht it onli happened once u go over 230 but at 220 things r all fine n normal!!! U need a fit car to drive fast, so send for check b4 u have another go!!! ^.^ Cheerz~~~

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
If tyres or rims, I think can feel when I accelerate at 120km/h or when pressing brake, right? I tested 180km/h, nothing happen, smooth like airplane auto-pilot..lol..
I remember I once went to do my alignment, and the guy said my chamber position is not match, and cannot make both side match, he then try to measure from fender to tires length. And guess what, he found out that front L/R is diff length with each other. And he checked whether I've accident before, and no. The soldering is too neat, no odd shape. Maybe before the car export from japan got accident or not I dunno la, u know la japan technology.
So my car, no matter how the chamber was aligned, it won't match L/R. one side sure lari a lil bit. And my car sure go left when I didn't hold steering and put it straigh even after alignment.

I'm using diaqueen wor. And, the last time I change fluid was like 6 months ago. Have not do anything beside normal service after changin the PS fluid.

Ok will do. Thx :)
U meant yours also got air hissing sound??

Previously a weird sound that appear only during rain, and the sometimes when cold start, can hear the rattling sound (metal scratching) underneath the car for like 3 secs?
And then free racing clutch sound "either alternator or some other component bearing worned".
And vibration at 230km/h.
And now steering got cicak sound..

Aduuhaiiiiii.... all the prOblem so rare one...
The rattling metal sounds due to this x bearing thing below (forgot its name), refer pic below. Changed mine last time, and the rattling metal sound gone. Its related to the front belting..price quite cheap (forgot the price and where bought it)

As for the speed vibration, go and check your drive shaft..

Attachments

Last edited:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
The rattling metal sounds due to this x bearing thing below (forgot its name), refer pic below. Changed mine last time, and the rattling metal sound gone. Its related to the front belting..price quite cheap (forgot the price and where bought it)

As for the speed vibration, go and check your drive shaft..
Where is it located?

Is it the bearing from the long shaft? I recorded the sound few times with success, and i showed my mechanic when we come out yam cha, and he said should be the long shaft bearing. but haven't check on it yet cause busy with work.

The speed vibration....I done 240+km/h that day and guess what, nothing happen d...I tested twice by released until 220 and tried again til 240+, nothing happen...zzzz

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I would like to respray my car, anyone know or can recommend good shop to do the paint jobs? Thank

Chee
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience