Rm35 for camber nut and rm15 to adjust???

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, I need some clarification here.

Serviced my car at a local shop in Perak today. Did oil change and alignment.

When doing my alignment the mechanic told me that my chamber 'lari' quite teruk already. I saw at the computer screen, -2.3, -2.4,-2.8, -2.0. Smth like that, but doesn't matter.

The thing is he told me that to adjust I will need to add camber nuts which will cost rm35 each (in which I think is ridiculously expensive) The nuts are for the front end only, he said behind already got but will charge rm15 to adjust each side. (so total if I adjust all my cambers will be rm110)

I read of this kind of scam before in ZTH saying that camber nuts cost rm60 each so I just told the mechanic it's ok. I drive and see first..... Bottom line I did my alignment only without adjusting the camber. Total cost rm30 for alignment.

So... what do you guys think??? Any recommended shop do adjust my camber without having to pay a bomb ? :banghead:

denden4

Nov 30, 2011
Johor Bahru
Rm110 consider ok,i wuz in ur situation before,but luckily i fix my chamber for free because i buy sportrim frm that shop

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
hi bro perak which part? i've faced the same prob with u b4. i DIY change sport rim, and went for allignment.bugger said the camber nut KO so need to change and adjust. wiwa wiwa few hours, take back the car still feeling unsatisfied. next day went back to same shop to rectify, again said the same nuts problem, so to minimize argument as im not in the mood, again repeat the same thing!

then went another shop for alignement etc. properly done. so i asked the boss y he no change d nuts. he said the things is ok not necessary to change. im noob then dont know how t assess the nuts so consider lesson learnt. and for your price, its considered standard

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
If you really need the camber nuts, go to spare parts shop. I bought it for RM8 a pair few years back... so now you know how you are being slaughtered. RM35x2 = RM70... they really make a lot of $$$ Can check online at lelong.com.my too. I think there are some people selling it.

ae92r

Known Member
Feb 21, 2007
From my experience, there are no need to change to adjustable camber nut like many alignment center said....at my friend alignment shop in Seremban, they just tuned the camber by unscrew the original camber nut, set it to certain degree and thighten it back, either front or rear camber. The alignment personnel said the adjustable nut is useless, it tend to get out of tune after couple months.... My car camber have never been set out since my last setting in 2009.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Okay, the question is whether front already have the nuts? Should have right ?

I think I'll go back to Dori-Dori to adjust when i'm back in Selangor for my studies.

teriyaki_gsr

Jul 19, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
if u buy chamber nuts at spare part around rm8-10..adjust chamber 1 side rm25 or rm30..
ni kdai2 yg penah aku g wat la.

poolupwai

Oct 13, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
there seems to be divided opinions regarding this matter. while some argue that adjustable camber nut is fancy addition, some stood by their opinions that adjustable camber nuts are totally useless.

after some forum hunting, here's wat i found out:

1. macpherson strut usually does not need to adjust camber. (pls correct if im wrong)
2. some sifus mentioned that camber will not lari as long as u dun whack ur tyre hard (accidents, etc), so no need to change camber nut.
3. adjustable camber nuts can be bought at rm8 per pair (observed market price)

as for myself, i have changed d FL side camber nut when doing alignment, n the tireman charged me rm25 for one nut, adjusting is free. (all my cars r done at d same shop). after doing aligment, we would do a round of fast cornerings to test d settings n fine-tune if necessary. (he knows my driving style:biggrin:)

so the question that remains is whether adjustable camber nut is necessary or, is it just an accessory?

any sifus would like to shed light on this?

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think the nuts there the mechanic wanted to charge me for is just normal nuts.

And as for the camber lari is because my car driven one year already, the mech did explain that going over bumps and pot holes on the road will offset your camber bit by bit.

Poolupwai, don't mind sharing which tyre shop you go to ?

cruiser78

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
RM35 for one nut and a bolt with an adjusting cam... really expensive. My mechanic just loosen the original bolts and adjust until the camber is straight. No need to change bolt. The holes on the absorber are bog enough to accommodate the adjusting requirement

muzhaffar

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
Before this i went to one tire shop at ampang..to do allingment after changing my rear tire linkage bush. then they checked, the rear tire missallign badly. then they said that they already adjust to the max and still got around -2 degree. then they said need to use chamber nut as my camber also out. i refuse and ask them just to do the allignment as far as they can.. 2 days later, i went to another tire shop that i used to go before. thay check, my chamber is fine. no need to adjust. then, the rear tire allignment still can adjust. so, no need to use chamber nut at all. i'm really confident that my chamber is ok since all of the tire shop i went for alligment before, no issue with the chamber. only that specific shop which try to cheat the customer. normally, your car will not have prob with chamber unless the absorber is bend, or you involve in heavy accident before. my car is very lowered and everytime hit the deep hole, can feel the absorber hit each other and as a result, my car chamber still ok. no need to use chamber nut. if you use stock absorber and spring, i believe it much2 more difficult for your car to become off chamber. not all tire shop can do correct and honest job...becareful of those.. if you dont satisfy with their job, just ask them to readjust again..if still not ok, just go to another shop..or you just waste your time there..

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
for layman like me and maybe you, its hard to determine whether we need to do allignment and nuts setting, unless the mechanic/ worker/ boss did share some knowledge with u and u have a good connection with him. small parts but if change will add up to a painful amount. think back of it, i still feel like an idiot, went back to the same shop and kena chop twice lol.

camber adjustment will lari no matter how careful we drive, just matter of time and the contributing factor is our awesome road =) and true that not all shop can do a good and honest job. some have alot outlet etc but the work just unaccpetable

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

[Need Advice] Lowering Car Height

Hi guys.
Currently im using GAB sport springs for my car.
Gap between tyre and fender is as follow; Front = 2 fingers, Rear = 3 fingers

I wanna ask, is there any way to lower the REAR gap to match the FRONT? becoz now the car now is slightly 'tonggek'. not really noticable though..

I dont want to cut my springs or 'bakar' and compress the springs, as i heard this will shorten the spring lifespan and its not safe..

If i change my standard...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience