2nd hand branded car amplifier is durable

chimaera

Dec 25, 2005
Hi... i am newbie in the automobiel ice... i just wonder is that 2nd hand branded amplifier worth to try.. for price range within RM300 - RM500 ... and how do i know whether that amplifier is workable or not and is that with problem... any idea??

Thanks

hardBass4u

Known Member
Jul 23, 2006
J.B& P.J
Yol Chimaera,
Welcome to ICE world:burnout:
I selling second hand branded stuff, of course I will say worth to buy la....:biggrin:
Anyway, I rather spend on second hand (quality& branded) :listen: at least I can get the standard& better system without spending so much...but must make sure item u buy is in working condition :driver:
FYI, car power amp came in multichannel channel such as 2, 4,5 or 6 channel and so on,so it depend on what kind of set up you interested on.
Normaly for those newbie will give them self a try on 4 channel (2 channel for front speaker and 2 channel for rear or sub woofer-speaker box).
Btw, with $500 budget, u able to get good 2 channel amp (for front speaker) or maybe 4 channel too...Depend on your hunter/bargain skill..

Last edited:

chimaera

Dec 25, 2005
bro hardBass4u ... actually i am interested in the 5 channel amp... i have a pioneer front speaker with tweeter.. but don know what model.. and the rear 3 way speaker pioneer too and my head unit is pioneer also ahahah all pioneer brand... and currently my car ice is all runnign without any amp or pre amp. this is the set up i got... if i add in a 5 channel amp + a 10 inches sub woofer does it will improve my sound quality a lot?????

hardBass4u

Known Member
Jul 23, 2006
J.B& P.J
bro hardBass4u ... actually i am interested in the 5 channel amp... i have a pioneer front speaker with tweeter.. but don know what model.. and the rear 3 way speaker pioneer too and my head unit is pioneer also ahahah all pioneer brand... and currently my car ice is all runnign without any amp or pre amp. this is the set up i got... if i add in a 5 channel amp + a 10 inches sub woofer does it will improve my sound quality a lot?????
Chimaera,
I can say that u are Pioneer lover? seem is easy to promote used/2nd hand Pioneer amp for your set up:biggrin:..kui..kui..!!!
Add 10" woofer definitely will increase the taste of ur ICE as woofer able to support the low frequency (bass) music...
Pre amp are optional and not the must to install cz u can do the setting via ur Pioneer CD players, u can transfer budget on preamp to increase ur budget/invest on better 5/6 channel power amp.
Try to take a look on ICE for sales section. U may have lots of selection thr...:idea:

Last edited:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
if 2nd hand within 300-500 i dont think will last that long.

anyway, research first and familiarize yourself on what brands are good and high quality. then only worthwhile buying 2nd hand. they sound good & last long too.

my advise is save up your money to 700-800

LazyCrazy

8,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2009
PJ
www.youtube.com
Hi... i am newbie in the automobiel ice... i just wonder is that 2nd hand branded amplifier worth to try.. for price range within RM300 - RM500 ... and how do i know whether that amplifier is workable or not and is that with problem... any idea??

Thanks

Hi there,

U might want to see my thread in the buy/sell section as I'm having lots of high quality amp and range just RM250-RM300 brand such as Alpine, Carrozzeria, Kenwood, Addzest, PPI, Maverick, Sony which is all Original Made In Japan/USA. If u had view my thread earlier, i just sold my 6channel Sony amp just only RM300....

Durability, so far my experience selling 2nd hand item, i can yes it is durable as long as it is good quality amp especially from reputable brand and well taken care from the owner.

Last edited:

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
If you were to talk about higher end model then yes, it might be value for money. But for cheaper model, just go buy a new 1.

Spending money on cheap half cut speaker or amp are just a waste....no matter wat brand it is, the item is designed for oem market. At the same price, an aftermarket brand will be better than it with the condition that the item is not selling overpriced....brand may tell u it's built quality but for sound quality, i dun think so. Think about how long those mechanical and electronic parts sleeping......there's lot more better choice to get in aftermarket world. Electronics parts doesn't like to sleep..A rm300 xxx brand is always better than a rm300 oem brand...

Last edited:

LazyCrazy

8,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2009
PJ
www.youtube.com
Unless if u don't have any knowledge about audio brand then u may end up buy oem speaker/amp at those halfcut shop. But if u are all equipped with ICE knowledge, then u will be suprise to see all rare model and some very high end model at this place which is way below any price u can find in the marketplace, and i'm sure u will also buy it.

Thats why only buy from those reputable seller u trust for 2nd hand item. I personally have sell more than 100 set of amp which is all 2nd hand and all direct from Japan which all Made In Japan/Italy/USA without any problem.

From my personal experience to be honest, if at accessory shop, for rm300 amp, u will only get those china and low end stuff. Same like what Jalan Pasar is offering.

I personally manage to but those high end stuff like Alpine F1 amp (keep for my collection), those high end brand such as Audison, McIntosh, Rockford Fosgate which cost me below rm350!!! But of course could be my luck..... :proud:

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
yes u might get f1 or mcintosh at dirt price, spending some time to clean it up and use it...then after sometimes, it spoiled...start to find new item at those market then use it, spoil, buy again....i had seen so much of these for the years.....end up 1 day a customer told me, "takpe lah, rm300 je alpine ni...rosak biar je"......maybe this is the reason why nobody claiming the stuff are having problem?

another point is, those so called branded oem halfcut item are really branded till the brand dun really product good quality stuff...maybe it's reliable but the sound is comparable with the jalan pasar u were saying....in a more honest/reputable shop, u are not gonna found any item that u see in jalan pasar...and those thing are actually better than wat so called branded from half cut. A customer without much experience will sure say the item they just installed are great, because they never have the chance to explorer to other better item with the same budget..but for us that's been in this industries, we never source these item as we know how it's gonna end up...wasting time, money and effort...

i once got offered a mcintosh hu for rm300, i reject the offer and let it to my fren and he's having problem with the hu within 1 month, then look for another model, same prob after a while, look again, same....repeatly doing the same thing without learning a lesson..ended up paying more than 2k for these item yet cant even have a proper music to listen to after few months...at the last day, bought a pioneer from me and happy with it till now after 2 years.....

this is not saying all those item are not good, just that's my experience...since i could afford better or equal valence item, why should i go for these? a rm300 can get a china amp but it's new with warranty.Not to say those item are having better quality than before if u know where to source for proper priced item. what's the big deal on made in where? as long the product are working and provide wat u paid, that's it..Save the hassle and stop wasting time. dun forget u are charged for workmanship each time changing items.......

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

chimaera, u got a great car there, hope i can own it 1 day in future.....the road tax are killing..otherwise i would consider the car u selling..lolz

LazyCrazy

8,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2009
PJ
www.youtube.com
well, sad to hear u have a bad experience buying 2nd hand item while most of us don't. Why don't drop by at my place which i can guide u to see the difference in term of built quality those china made amp/jalan pasar compare to branded amp which is original made in Japan/USA or european brand and u will be suprised to notice the different. Unless u are not really critical into SQ, then no problem u can buy a China amp with so called 1 year warranty, as long as inside a car there is an amp to power up your speaker. In case u did not know, buy from halfcut does not mean go to halfcut shop and buy, i'm actually buy direct from japan through my friends work at halfcut japan, and these item were dismantle by owner itself, put in proper packaging, not expose to rain/direct sunlight and courier to malaysia... thats why we save a lot..hehe :proud:

how about introduce your friend to me who buy the faulty mcintosh headunit? at least i share my experience with him

I'm using an old skool alpine ddrive component set which in use for 12 years, alpine v12 expert amp which in use 8 years, dddrive woofer in use for 7 years and still in side my car and the performance still superb!!! My car club all of us also using 2nd hand item and i can say it is very durable!!!
Come join us every saturday at jalan klang lama for a chance to audit and experience yourself.

Btw, it still the matter of your preference, some people have bad experience buying from accessories shop, some have bad experience buy 2nd hand item. So we learn from our experience and share with each other.

Cheers

Last edited:

skyboy

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
KUL
HI Guys,
Im looking for 2 din monitor with built in monitor , budget rm400 pm me if any1 letting go their monitor cheers

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
good to hear that the oldschool alpine still running great to your ears...just enjoy what you got there...

gt6334a

Sep 10, 2010
Penang
there is always a risk in buying a used amp as something may fail..

but, having said that, most common problem are due to component failure and can be fixed by someone with electronics knowledge.. the only thing you need to worry about is parts substitution (IC or op-amps in particular) for older amps as those original parts might not be around..

i think like the other posters said, research on what is a good brand.. also even for a brand there is a period of greatness followed by times when it went downhilll.. so u need to do your research. for example i got a soundstream mc300 which is one of the great ones (also great are the D60, D100, D200 designed by nelson pass).. these guys went downhill in mid 90s. these have nothing in common with the current soundstream (basically it was bought over and none of the engineering remained)..

i've bought 80% of my audio gear used (home and car) and have had good luck for about 2 decades doing it this way. but again, you have to do your homework and really find out what are the worthwhile amps to buy..

so just a list of stuff i thought were good and fit your budget:
soundstream ref 3.0 (low power more for tweeter amp)
nakamichi pa300 (great SQ but board is a pain to trace)

if you bump the price higher a bit you can find more great amps. think of it as a trade off, you want it cheaper you got to do your homework and wait for the right amp to coma along...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hie bros.I'm planning to mod my current hood with vents.Any bros here know which shop does a good work?Thanks a lot.Cheers! :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience