4AGE 20V Top Overhaul / Full Overhaul

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
If Selangor, I would suggest you to try Haz Motorsports Garage near Salak Jaya (Salak Selatan). Did my overhaulin there and no problem so far. Plenty of 20valvers being transplanted and modded from this workshop.
Also, Kegani Autotech (Bandar Kinrara) is a good choice too. Just make sure you bring your cheque book ;)
bro, thanks for the info. after few weeks of observation, oil level still the same. then i started the engine, wait warming up and rev it until 6k rpm. can see a lot white smoke. how to confirm this is valve seals or piston rings problem?

kian27

Known Member
Sep 28, 2008
Petaling Jaya
bro, thanks for the info. after few weeks of observation, oil level still the same. then i started the engine, wait warming up and rev it until 6k rpm. can see a lot white smoke. how to confirm this is valve seals or piston rings problem?
well,4 valve seals i think is open the exhaust manifold n see the valve got oil on it or nt...
for piston rings i nt sure,mayb done a compression test??

correct me if i m wrong..:driver:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Let's make it simple...

White smoke when start up engine: Worn out valve seals
White (blueish) smoke when revving engine: Worn out piston rings (and maybe valve seals too)
Black smoke when revving engine: AFR too rich or too much carbon buildup
Black + white smoke when revving: AFR too rich & piston rings worn out

Hope it helps.

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
only top/head is unmounted, left the block in the car,
my car timing.... nice.... no prob.... (maybe still new)
Sorry to kpc(ka poh chee) but how did they change piston rings and con rod bearings with block in car???Normally top overhaul means only the cylinder head?

I was just surfing this thread becoz I may wanna overhaul my BT.What after market cams are there for the BT?

BDK8671

Known Member
Nov 14, 2007
Sorry to kpc(ka poh chee) but how did they change piston rings and con rod bearings with block in car???Normally top overhaul means only the cylinder head?

I was just surfing this thread becoz I may wanna overhaul my BT.What after market cams are there for the BT?
i think they juz pull out the cylinder & con rod & crank shaft from bottom engine without need to take the whole engine out .....this is the quick n cheap method .....hhehe ...

juz my RM0.02 :driver::driver:

keisukosan

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
i think they juz pull out the cylinder & con rod & crank shaft from bottom engine without need to take the whole engine out .....this is the quick n cheap method .....hhehe ...

juz my RM0.02 :driver::driver:
But if put out the crackshaft noneed take out ur flywheel and cluth plate meh?how bout gearbox???:hmmmm:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
For changing piston ring without removing the block from the engine bay, the oil pan is removed from bottom and conrod nut removed. So the piston is pulled out from the top while the crankshaft is still inside the block. If the sidewalls are within specification and in good shape, then just replacing the worn out piston rings.

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
I think like that it would be better to complete overhaul-U may need the bottom gasket for oilpan;and you gotta worry about leaks from both ends of the crank.My lesson with 4age is ALWAYS change the con rod bolts if intending for high rev.

BDK8671

Known Member
Nov 14, 2007
I think like that it would be better to complete overhaul-U may need the bottom gasket for oilpan;and you gotta worry about leaks from both ends of the crank.My lesson with 4age is ALWAYS change the con rod bolts if intending for high rev.
wah ......seldom ppl change con rod bolts lar ....except for track car ...
i think 20V 4AGE oilpan dun have gasket lor ....juz apply silicon gum ......

so bro 1JZ , where u going to do overhual ? ....

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
IIRC, there's no gasket for oil pan bro. I didn't want to do a complete overhaul because I just changed this engine (engine kosong). Previously transplant whole halfcut. Besides, the current engine only had worn our piston ring and valve seals. Even the conrod bearings were in good shape, but regardless I changed them as well. So far it has been almost 4 months, no leaks whatsoever.

I don't high rev all the while, maybe once in a blue moon.. hehe.. but the funny thing was when the mech opened up the engine during overhaul, he found one of the rod bolts was dropped out and floating around the oil pan baffle. So just replaced it with another 20V rod nut and good to go. Maybe others will consider upgrading to ACL race bearings and ARP rod bolts. :proud:

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
eeehh! you are a brave man!Me i willl probably sweat over why 1 con-rod bolt can snap-wondering what about the others.By the way are the shims like the 4age the 'on top' type or the 'under bucket' type?

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

found out they are under bucket type-a bitch to shim if changing cam-but wont pop out at high rev

20v_ke35

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Ipoh, Perak D R
Let's make it simple...

White smoke when start up engine: Worn out valve seals
White (blueish) smoke when revving engine: Worn out piston rings (and maybe valve seals too)
Black smoke when revving engine: AFR too rich or too much carbon buildup
Black + white smoke when revving: AFR too rich & piston rings worn out

Hope it helps.
so, it my valve seals making my ke35 blowing white smoke. So, it is not a very serious injury. Thanks for the info.

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
i have no white/black smoke coming out from exhaust...but 1 of the piston has no compression....siaoz....today will take out whole engine...sure the piston has pecah...blood out from wallet.... :(

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
i have no white/black smoke coming out from exhaust...but 1 of the piston has no compression....siaoz....today will take out whole engine...sure the piston has pecah...blood out from wallet.... :(
bro ben...

ur piston pecah ? toda forged piston u right ?or stock piston u using ?
hahahha

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
am still using ori piston...but this time wil be together overhaul with 82mm forged piston...

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Wow... that's bad bro. How did it happen? The engine was fully rebuilt early this year right? I thought you were running toda pistons?
If no compression, the engine will sound like running on 3 pistons, maybe no smoke also because no combustion on the affected cylinder. Either piston damaged or block warped. I've seen a BT block warped out of shape, leaving empty spaces between the piston and cylinder which causes the compression loss.

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
am still using ori piston...but this time wil be together overhaul with 82mm forged piston...
haha .. good to hear that change to forged piston... toda or weslee brand?

hihi..

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
melted toda forged piston? fuh.. i think shud be very [powerful set up ..

wat happned to tta engine?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Few months ago, prior to New York Auto Show, Jaguar has borrowed the city's iconic Park Avenue tunnel to exhibit (or break the silence in) Jaguar's new F-Type SVR coupe.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/irKXELyfyPo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

The blast through the tunnel was to highlight the new lightweight Titanium and Inconel exhaust system that is tuned to give a sharper, distinctive rumble of its V8 engine...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience