4AGE 20V Top Overhaul / Full Overhaul

NA_Lover

Jul 19, 2008
NA_Lover, pls PM me the location of the Mutiara Damansara workshop. Roughly how much for top overhaul on BT? Including changing piston rings as well? PnP alone how much?
Ahah.. sorry. :adore:
Havent check this thread in a long time.

Wait ah.. I think I have your num somewhere.

I'll sms you the mech's contact.:biggrin:

2 Old 2 Rusty

Nov 18, 2006
:wavey:Finally, my baby is out from top overhauling (In JB),
here's the report:
Piston Ring : RM230
Cond Rod Bearing : RM80
Toyota Top Set : RM480
Grind Valve + WMS : RM500
Head Skimming : RM60
Timing Belt : RM165
Timing Bearing : RM165
Head Port Polish (Machine) : RM400
New water pump : RM230
Fan Belt (for power stearing & A/C) : RM65
Radiator top & bottom hose : RM50
Toyota Coolant : RM30
NGK plugs (normal) : RM40
Motul Multi Gred Plus Oil : RM74
TOTAL : RM2,569.....

Please comment........
Just curious, bro; why skim the head; is it bent or something ? I'm asking coz I've heard stories that the 20v head does not respond well to skimming. Overheating problems may occur after skimming; like Vtecs. So I think you'd better check first if you really need to skim it.

Just a word of caution, that's all.:biggrin:

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
well bro, and the head got dented so skimed it.
really got issues? :bawling:
The car's done and i drove it, well the engine roars abit different (loud NA sound), maybe due to porting. and i do hear some small sounds 'plop-plop' (like small pops) while idling at quiet midnight..... normal?

EG9

Just curious, bro; why skim the head; is it bent or something ? I'm asking coz I've heard stories that the 20v head does not respond well to skimming. Overheating problems may occur after skimming; like Vtecs. So I think you'd better check first if you really need to skim it.

Just a word of caution, that's all.:biggrin:
I notice there is no labor charge, if that is the total cost and including the labor charger, the price is ok.

BDK8671

Nov 14, 2007
:wavey:Finally, my baby is out from top overhauling (In JB),
here's the report:
Piston Ring : RM230
Cond Rod Bearing : RM80
Toyota Top Set : RM480
Grind Valve + WMS : RM500
Head Skimming : RM60
Timing Belt : RM165
Timing Bearing : RM165
Head Port Polish (Machine) : RM400
New water pump : RM230
Fan Belt (for power stearing & A/C) : RM65
Radiator top & bottom hose : RM50
Toyota Coolant : RM30
NGK plugs (normal) : RM40
Motul Multi Gred Plus Oil : RM74
TOTAL : RM2,569.....

Please comment........
Grind Valve + WMS : wat is WMS ? .....i heard ppl say 20V cant grind valve lor if we din't do re-shim work ....izzit rite ? .......timing will running off ?

yaya ...labour charges how much ?? .....engine take out from carbody or juz do it inside carbody ? ....labour charges will be not same o ......hehe

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
WMS = work man ship a.k.a. labour charge
everyday follow up, each things, and what they done i've monitored

only top/head is unmounted, left the block in the car,
my car timing.... nice.... no prob.... (maybe still new)

pcmoddingmy

Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Bro cybtech, I think the pricing is a bit expensive for top overhaul (without dropping the whole engine). Is it all using original toyota parts?

I've checked out Wing Hin (Toyota Distro in KL) and they only quoted me RM340 for top set.
I think piston ring should cost between RM150-200, but not sure if conrod bearing is RM80 only.
Labour for RM500 is ok I think. PnP is also ok for RM400. I guess the most cost is for the timing belt section where you spent RM560 for it and water pump.

Anyways, if you're happy with the overhaul... then I guess it worth! :driver:

BudakSiol!

-
Fellow bros,

Is a top overhaul if I have the following symptoms on my 20V? Mileage is currently at 170,000kms.
White smoke when high rev & 3,000km into a normal service the oil would be at a minimum level. This is with normal daily driving with occasional revving.

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
Bro cybtech, I think the pricing is a bit expensive for top overhaul (without dropping the whole engine). Is it all using original toyota parts?

I've checked out Wing Hin (Toyota Distro in KL) and they only quoted me RM340 for top set.
I think piston ring should cost between RM150-200, but not sure if conrod bearing is RM80 only.
Labour for RM500 is ok I think. PnP is also ok for RM400. I guess the most cost is for the timing belt section where you spent RM560 for it and water pump.

Anyways, if you're happy with the overhaul... then I guess it worth! :driver:
Bro, well,
Gasket, timing belt, water pump is ori, (i too thought the top set is expensive)
piston ring, conrod bearing, and other 2 belts are other (forgot the brand) but made in japan.
The shop owner also did some minor wiring (bypass seat belt light), and did a full car wash + vacuum FOC.

Last i count and the shop owner discussed if do the top overhaul w/o PnP and w/o water pump is around ~RM1.6k.

After did everything, felt quite a lot of torque at mid range RPM, and the engine is roaring....:biggrin:

pcmoddingmy

Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Okay... my car also just out from workshop a few days ago. Here's where my money gone:
Workmanship: RM700 (including engine oil + skim head + re-shimming)
Parts: RM700 (full overhaul set + piston ring + conrod bearing + oil filter) -> genuine Toyota
Total: RM1.4k (done in 5 days)
~ A bit cheaper as parts bought by myself. If parts included by foreman, total will be around RM1.6k.

End result, no more white smoke... but haven't test the power yet as the engine is still running in. After 1000km them will do oil change and dyno run :driver:

hon_cs

Jan 23, 2004
hi guys,

i just bought one seg101 with BT 6sp clocking 220kkm.newbie here :wavey:. Not so familiar with this engine and car. if piston rings or valve seals worn out, is it a lot of white smoke comes out? I noticed my car has some during morning start up. But then will gone later and sometime can be seen. Any good workshop recommended to check about this? by the way, i staying in puchong.

hon_cs

Jan 23, 2004
nop not yet. will monitor for few days. can anyone mind to share which workshops in selangor is good for usual services/maintenances?

ahaw

Apr 1, 2007
go and search wan.. his shop in front honda service cntre, same row as 'restoran merah'. at ttdi jaya 'triple one' w/shop

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
Okay... my car also just out from workshop a few days ago. Here's where my money gone:
Workmanship: RM700 (including engine oil + skim head + re-shimming)
Parts: RM700 (full overhaul set + piston ring + conrod bearing + oil filter) -> genuine Toyota
Total: RM1.4k (done in 5 days)
~ A bit cheaper as parts bought by myself. If parts included by foreman, total will be around RM1.6k.

End result, no more white smoke... but haven't test the power yet as the engine is still running in. After 1000km them will do oil change and dyno run :driver:
So bro, hows the feeelln'...?:rofl:

pcmoddingmy

Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
So bro, hows the feeelln'...?:rofl:
Bro... feelin' still same, but dyno result showed lower power output (- compared to before overhaul. Anyways, it was not a fair comparison because my tuning settings were zeroed out but had to zero out the mapping because was running slightly higher compression than stock setup.
Still waiting for adjustable FPR and re-tune to get a better before & after comparison.
How about others? I'm hearing some of my friends also losing power prior to overhaulin, excluding those who overhauled with performance parts lah.

pcmoddingmy

Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
nop not yet. will monitor for few days. can anyone mind to share which workshops in selangor is good for usual services/maintenances?
If Selangor, I would suggest you to try Haz Motorsports Garage near Salak Jaya (Salak Selatan). Did my overhaulin there and no problem so far. Plenty of 20valvers being transplanted and modded from this workshop.
Also, Kegani Autotech (Bandar Kinrara) is a good choice too. Just make sure you bring your cheque book ;)

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
Bro... feelin' still same, but dyno result showed lower power output (- compared to before overhaul. Anyways, it was not a fair comparison because my tuning settings were zeroed out but had to zero out the mapping because was running slightly higher compression than stock setup.
Still waiting for adjustable FPR and re-tune to get a better before & after comparison.
How about others? I'm hearing some of my friends also losing power prior to overhaulin, excluding those who overhauled with performance parts lah.
Bro, have you service your engine (i mean normal change oil, oil filter etc)? mine just did twice oredy (still using same oil since overhaul). now the car feels very light and right leg very heavy... :biggrin: bro ur using stock ECU? try reseting it.

pcmoddingmy

Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Bro, have you service your engine (i mean normal change oil, oil filter etc)? mine just did twice oredy (still using same oil since overhaul). now the car feels very light and right leg very heavy... :biggrin: bro ur using stock ECU? try reseting it.
First two oil changes I used mineral... now switch to Turbolight, semi-syn.
Car feels light all right, but for me dyno-ing it give a better overview of the engine health.

So did you manage to dyno your ride before overhaulin'?

cybtech

Feb 20, 2008
no, and after also not yet, i'll send my car for few more touch ups then see.... :biggrin:

There was this thread I saw last month on a Workshop in Batu Caves. It did engine conversions. It had pics or links to pics of all the work/job done. I was very impressed with the workmanship.

Can anyone remember what's the name of the shop? or where in Batu Caves it was? Or point me to the direction of the thread?

I tried the SEARCH ENGINE and checked ALL the threads with "Workshop" and "Conversion" but to no avail. Nothing.

Thanks guys.