What are you driving now?

Nicholasng925

Known Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Well, at least the added weight gives the Neo more stability for the kind of power your engine makes. If is stock Neo, then perhaps the weight issue is a disadvantage.

For you guys with turbocharged engines, 3rd and 4th gear are nice to play around. My normal old NA engine don't feel much fun in 3rd and 4th.

Short gear ratio and powerful engine means the acceleration is very brutal. :biggrin:
Yep, added weight does provide Neo better stability especially at high speed.

But low end power seems to be compromised. Coupled with my low compression setup and Velocity intake, I can feel the heaviness of the car and FC will somehow be affected. :banghead: But beyond 2.5k rpm when boost starts kicking in to positive range, car is much lighter and it's fun :burnout:

i prefer 2nd gear pull..the rush and excitement..hahah

3rd and 4th not much g, heavy car perhaps..
Actually Neo also not too bad at 2nd gear pull, just that it won't be able to reach high enough speed due to its short gear :rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
i prefer 2nd gear pull..the rush and excitement..hahah

3rd and 4th not much g, heavy car perhaps..
Same situation for my car. But mine is not because of heaviness, more like because it is not powerful. :biggrin:

Yep, added weight does provide Neo better stability especially at high speed.

But low end power seems to be compromised. Coupled with my low compression setup and Velocity intake, I can feel the heaviness of the car and FC will somehow be affected. :banghead: But beyond 2.5k rpm when boost starts kicking in to positive range, car is much lighter and it's fun :burnout:

Actually Neo also not too bad at 2nd gear pull, just that it won't be able to reach high enough speed due to its short gear :rofl:
Having a bit more weight is good for your car since short wheelbase cars tend to be a bit unstable at high speed compared to long wheel base cars.

So driving below 2.5k rpm is difficult? The car feels slow?

At city driving where you need a sudden burst of acceleration for short sprint, I think 2nd gear is fun enough. :biggrin:

Nicholasng925

Known Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Having a bit more weight is good for your car since short wheelbase cars tend to be a bit unstable at high speed compared to long wheel base cars.

So driving below 2.5k rpm is difficult? The car feels slow?

At city driving where you need a sudden burst of acceleration for short sprint, I think 2nd gear is fun enough. :biggrin:
What do you mean short wheel base and long wheel base? :confused:

Actually driving below 2.5k rpm is not that difficult just that its low end torque cannot be compared with that of City or Vios. Of course if I drive at 0-bar, I can still easily keep up with most NA cars.

Yep 2nd gear is actually fun enough.. 2nd gear seems better with my butt dyno but 3rd is just as fun hahaha :love::driver:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Actually driving below 2.5k rpm is not that difficult just that its low end torque cannot be compared with that of City or Vios. Of course if I drive at 0-bar, I can still easily keep up with most NA cars.

Yep 2nd gear is actually fun enough.. 2nd gear seems better with my butt dyno but 3rd is just as fun hahaha :love::driver:
agreed on low end torque..cant compare with city or vios..either boost away from them or let them be :burnout: ..hahaha

maybe he meant the length or distance between front/rear tyre to midpoint of your car. :hmmmm:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

It is the distance between your front and rear wheel. For example, Wira had a longer wheel base than Satria. Generally, cars with longer wheel base are more stable at straights especially during higher speed but at corners, a shorter wheel base car will be quicker.

Okay, maybe your car felt something like Kancil when you are under 2500 rpm. :biggrin:

agreed on low end torque..cant compare with city or vios..either boost away from them or let them be :burnout: ..hahaha

maybe he meant the length or distance between front/rear tyre to midpoint of your car. :hmmmm:
Almost correct but it is actually the distance between the front and rear wheel. That is wheelbase length.

Nicholasng925

Known Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

Can la drive at 0-bar still can keep up haha! Meaning if I drive at 0-bar, it's almost similar to flooring the NA City or Vios. I actually checked on dyno machine before, when the tuner maintained the throttle at 0-bar. The graph is similar to a NA car with 125whp. :driver:

It is the distance between your front and rear wheel. For example, Wira had a longer wheel base than Satria. Generally, cars with longer wheel base are more stable at straights especially during higher speed but at corners, a shorter wheel base car will be quicker.

Okay, maybe your car felt something like Kancil when you are under 2500 rpm. :biggrin:

Almost correct but it is actually the distance between the front and rear wheel. That is wheelbase length.
Oh ya! Never thought of the wheel base but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining Renesis! No la Kancil is even worse hahahah! :rofl: It's rare to keep my car below 2k rpm (mostly only after shifting that the rpm will drop below 2k), beyond 2k it's actually pretty easy to drive :biggrin: Have to shift quickly to increase speed yet not to rev it beyond 3k rpm.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Can la drive at 0-bar still can keep up haha! Meaning if I drive at 0-bar, it's almost similar to flooring the NA City or Vios. I actually checked on dyno machine before, when the tuner maintained the throttle at 0-bar. The graph is similar to a NA car with 125whp. :driver:

Oh ya! Never thought of the wheel base but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining Renesis! No la Kancil is even worse hahahah! :rofl: It's rare to keep my car below 2k rpm (mostly only after shifting that the rpm will drop below 2k), beyond 2k it's actually pretty easy to drive :biggrin: Have to shift quickly to increase speed yet not to rev it beyond 3k rpm.
0 bar means no boost at all? If no boost, still can run properly?

No problem. So, the boost lag under 2k rpm means nothing much to you since you rarely keep it below 2k rpm. :biggrin:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
not if you have heavy body. have not yet dyno my car..maybe later

No problem. So, the boost lag under 2k rpm means nothing much to you since you rarely keep it below 2k rpm. :biggrin:
yup..no boost..like driving NA only and yes can run properly. but if you high speed cruising, need to control throttle to maintain 0bar :driver:

Nicholasng925

Known Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

not if you have heavy body. have not yet dyno my car..maybe later

yup..no boost..like driving NA only and yes can run properly. but if you high speed cruising, need to control throttle to maintain 0bar :driver:
Yep like what marsha said, still can run properly without boost. This zero-to-negative boost area is also known as vacuum area, similar to NA cars.

I guess the effect of heaviness is even more tangible in Perdana, Neo is only about 1.2 tonne hahaha! :biggrin:

Cannot positive boost from north to south.... Siput masak
For sure cannot! Cruise only most of the time, only boost when overtaking :driver:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
photo_2017-09-15_12-17-11.jpg

My ride for the past 10 years, from when I was single until now father of 2. Everything is still stock, even replacement of parts I tried to get an original proton if available. Last time, got an accident took me quite some time to get the original foglamp (used of course):

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hmm, wouldn't the car feel weird if drive without boost? In NA engine, the air enters from air filter and went straight on into the throttle body but for turbo, the air still need to go into the compressor and travel through the intercooler before reaching the throttle body. Such a long path for the air to take and since there is no boost at all, I guess the compressor is not sucking in air strongly like when there is boost?

Yep like what marsha said, still can run properly without boost. This zero-to-negative boost area is also known as vacuum area, similar to NA cars.

I guess the effect of heaviness is even more tangible in Perdana, Neo is only about 1.2 tonne hahaha! :biggrin:

For sure cannot! Cruise only most of the time, only boost when overtaking :driver:
Run without boost probably can help you to save more fuel. :biggrin:

Are you adjusting boost on the go inside your car with boost controller?

View attachment 566588

My ride for the past 10 years, from when I was single until now father of 2. Everything is still stock, even replacement of parts I tried to get an original proton if available. Last time, got an accident took me quite some time to get the original foglamp (used of course):
Still looks nice. I see that you are having rear disc brakes. Satria 1.6?

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Still looks nice. I see that you are having rear disc brakes. Satria 1.6?
Yeah, 1996 1.6L.. 20 years now. Not giving much problem. As I can remember, parts that I have replaced are alternator (kong already, did not charge, ok la after 20 years), radiator hoses, plug cable, and add some battery negative cables (plus all parts for maintenance of course). Other than that, its all stock. I like it that way. Maybe wana swap engine later but after get another family car..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A friends red evo tme had been stolen yesterday inside riana green condo. registration number BGH 368. pls be on the lookout for this car or any suspicious sellers of evo tme items
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience