Buying advice for Evo and Impreza

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I actually like the VRG shape but since not popular probably problem with maintenance over here....:rolleyes:
agree, vrg looks wont aged ....:driver:
anyway you should feel proud. not much vr4 on the road, i think collectible already.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Well, in TTA, there are also drivers with more 'ordinary' cars beating supercars. Like I remember there is this EK9 turbo who beat supercars like McLaren MP4-12C. Perhaps this is a case of good vs bad driver? No matter how I see it, it is impossible that a well engineered machine that took millions of development cost like McLaren MP4 can lose to a 20 year old hatch modded by local tuners. The EK is probably at its highest limit while the McLaren could still be far from its limits.

Well, in TTA, there are also drivers with more 'ordinary' cars beating supercars. Like I remember there is this EK9 turbo who beat supercars like McLaren MP4-12C.
On the circuit, especially in Time Attack events, there's virtually no limits to how much you can do. These competitors are aiming at 1 or 2 magical laps and that's it.

Perhaps this is a case of good vs bad driver?
Hands down driver is key here

No matter how I see it, it is impossible that a well engineered machine that took millions of development cost like McLaren MP4 can lose to a 20 year old hatch modded by local tuners.
why not? Any noob in an F1 car versus Hamilton in a Civic will see the same fate. The machine depends on the operator.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
On the circuit, especially in Time Attack events, there's virtually no limits to how much you can do. These competitors are aiming at 1 or 2 magical laps and that's it.

Hands down driver is key here

why not? Any noob in an F1 car versus Hamilton in a Civic will see the same fate. The machine depends on the operator.

Aiming for 1 or 2 magical laps? This sounds a bit like the car is not really suitable for longer duration drive. So, if we are talking about like 10-20 laps of endurance, perhaps the stock supercars might fare better than these track cars built to break the lap time record?

In a way, you are saying that the driver is the most important key in TTA. The machine might only help to a certain extent in deciding the outcome of the race.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Noob in F1 car = crash.

Hamilton in a stock Kancil vs Noob in stock GTR with traction on = Noob wins.

Aiming for 1 or 2 magical laps? This sounds a bit like the car is not really suitable for longer duration drive. So, if we are talking about like 10-20 laps of endurance, perhaps the stock supercars might fare better than these track cars built to break the lap time record?

In a way, you are saying that the driver is the most important key in TTA. The machine might only help to a certain extent in deciding the outcome of the race.
Er, TTA is time attack.. not Le Mans.. The car is not suitable for longer duration driving for sure. Watch The Grand Tour episode 6 where they talk about Le Mans.

When everybody is throwing THAT much money at TTA, the playing field is almost level (engineering prowess also come into play), but the major difference is drivers. Making ONE braking error would cost a lot on the time sheet..

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Noob in F1 car = crash.

Hamilton in a stock Kancil vs Noob in stock GTR with traction on = Noob wins.

Er, TTA is time attack.. not Le Mans.. The car is not suitable for longer duration driving for sure. Watch The Grand Tour episode 6 where they talk about Le Mans.

When everybody is throwing THAT much money at TTA, the playing field is almost level (engineering prowess also come into play), but the major difference is drivers. Making ONE braking error would cost a lot on the time sheet..
Depends on what track the Kancil and GT-R is in. If very tight track, Kancil can win. We give full slick tyres to Kancil while downgrading the tyres for GT-R. :biggrin:

Hmm, I've heard before a few people saying about how endurable their NA cars is in track. Specifically Honda VTEC users arguing against turbo car owners like Evo, STI... Not sure how true is this but these people claim that if a NA VTEC engine is racing for endurance with high powered turbo cars, the turbo cars will lose out...

Throwing money into the car is one thing, but one must look at which platform are they throwing money into. Couldn't really say the playing field is level since some platform have higher potential than others. But at the end, the driver makes the most difference like you said. If let's say both teams throw in 50k into an Evo and a Satria. If the Satria is driven by a better driver, probably it might even be faster than the Evo despite Evo being the platform with more potential.

KeeSeong

Known Member
Jun 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi sifus..

Since all sifus here talking about evo and sti... can i ask hmmm what kind of problems normally face by STI or boxer engine??

coz I'm thinking to look for an STI (due to loan still available for an AWD).. I'm evo fans but too pricey for a cash buy only car :(( so an awd and powerful car + manual trans i think STI the only choice?

Previously tot of getting a Mazda MPS (year 2012) but found out the price is about the same as STi (year 2008) but i don really care the year made.. most important is what I want rite?? haha

What I worried is, is it really a lot of problems for a boxer engine?? Can all sifus advise? ...Many thanksss

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi sifus..

Since all sifus here talking about evo and sti... can i ask hmmm what kind of problems normally face by STI or boxer engine??

coz I'm thinking to look for an STI (due to loan still available for an AWD).. I'm evo fans but too pricey for a cash buy only car :(( so an awd and powerful car + manual trans i think STI the only choice?

Previously tot of getting a Mazda MPS (year 2012) but found out the price is about the same as STi (year 2008) but i don really care the year made.. most important is what I want rite?? haha

What I worried is, is it really a lot of problems for a boxer engine?? Can all sifus advise? ...Many thanksss
Good question. I would like to know more about the common problems in STI too since I'm interested in these cars.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hi sifus..

Pain in the ass changing spark plug on the STi.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Lol.. means is very expensive changing the spark plug for sti?? If is just spark plug issue I think most car also need to change for me should be okay lo...
Is not about very expensive but more of the difficulty in workmanship. Because the cylinder head of the boxer engine is located quite deep below the engine and they are facing the sides of the engine bay. Troublesome to remove and replace the plugs.

Therefore, what I know is, most owners will use longer lasting plugs such as Iridium plugs on their boxer engines because it will be troublesome to frequently replace the spark plugs.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
my future car too..hopefully in 3 years time..STI :biggrin:

Anyway, i did survey and ask mechanic/friends that service/using sti,

Not much of a problem for the sti, Require proper/periodic maintenance and service, everything is ok.

so far i know metal gasket issue and clutch bearing.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Please view the customer feedback from the link below:

http://wetshinedetailing.blogspot.com/2010/01/initial-impressions-rainaway.html
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience