WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Many of my friends did autofoam already but have not heard of issues like yours before. Also there are a few foam around now. The one I know is Autofoam from KL Auto. I have seem their foaming done, pillars are all done inside and underneath only the main structure beam is foamed so not sure why got water blockage?
But agree with you that it is not reversible....Once in cannot take out
Oh wow ... now thats really an eye opener. But before proceeding, one must know the chassis really well. But who would have thought there are wirings going through those hollow points. Hmm ... good education by the way. May be its not a quick job to do so, the shop responsible has to have time to investigate the chassis itself before proceeding.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Many of my friends did autofoam already but have not heard of issues like yours before. Also there are a few foam around now. The one I know is Autofoam from KL Auto. I have seem their foaming done, pillars are all done inside and underneath only the main structure beam is foamed so not sure why got water blockage?
But agree with you that it is not reversible....Once in cannot take out
haha it can get rather scary sometimes....
one example is the lower side sill (below the door) that portion is usually foamed up, it can be an issue if, it is used to drain water collecting at the side sill. This area also has the door switch wire running through it, so in my case, that got burried, thatk god for sate sticks i could push a wire through:rofl: (this particular case, maybe can be considered to be unavoidable unless someone maybe uses a straw like a protective pipe? (silly idea anyway)
On some cars with a sun roof, sometimes they have a drainage hose running down a pillar (on the preludes, its the front driver side A pillar i think) somehow that fellas pillar got stuck

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Oh wow ... now thats really an eye opener. But before proceeding, one must know the chassis really well. But who would have thought there are wirings going through those hollow points. Hmm ... good education by the way. May be its not a quick job to do so, the shop responsible has to have time to investigate the chassis itself before proceeding.
sometimes, i dont think its avoidable haha some cars are just designed in such a way that it will surely masuk.... ohh ya one very important thing i wanted to mention but forgot.... once you foam the car, the chassis crumple zones and all might not 'work as expected'... depending on which areas are foamed, some of these areas might become much stiffer and note that, i hear its very difficult to straighten a foamed chassis if ever it gets bent (not that i would even want to keep the car if the chassis gets bent out of shape to be honest)

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
sometimes, i dont think its avoidable haha some cars are just designed in such a way that it will surely masuk.... ohh ya one very important thing i wanted to mention but forgot.... once you foam the car, the chassis crumple zones and all might not 'work as expected'... depending on which areas are foamed, some of these areas might become much stiffer and note that, i hear its very difficult to straighten a foamed chassis if ever it gets bent (not that i would even want to keep the car if the chassis gets bent out of shape to be honest)
So er, can i just stiffen up some part of the chassis but not all of it ? Actually i have zero idea on how how autofoam job is performed. What i heard is just injected a chemical then they will expand and stiffen up in time. The job could be very messy.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
So er, can i just stiffen up some part of the chassis but not all of it ? Actually i have zero idea on how how autofoam job is performed. What i heard is just injected a chemical then they will expand and stiffen up in time. The job could be very messy.
haha memang abit messy... it will drip/flow out of some of the holes at the bottom when its first pumped in and expanding (which is expected and good i guess? since it means its been filled properly) also depending on how it expands, sometimes it leaks into the cabin area haha, in my car, a few tumors formed haha scarry looking but can be removed with a knife so, thats not such a major issue, at worst, it seeps everywhere and gets a few of the low down interior panel clips stuck

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Autofoam have a branch in Glenmarie. You can pop over see what they do. As far as I know is messy as the foam bubbles out. I think they remove after a few days, means got to come back as follow up visit.....:smokin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
He's ill informed. Or not informed at all. So I will introduce to him the right choices. :P

Besides, I think by the time he's older cars like the i8 would be the norm. That's a good car.
But I cannot bluff my daughter woh! She know the Audi and VW by heart :smokin:......hhahhahahha:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
He's ill informed. Or not informed at all. So I will introduce to him the right choices. :P

Besides, I think by the time he's older cars like the i8 would be the norm. That's a good car.
But cars like i8 is not easy to maintain at all. DIY session with that car will be difficult with all those sensitive electronics.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Autofoam have a branch in Glenmarie. You can pop over see what they do. As far as I know is messy as the foam bubbles out. I think they remove after a few days, means got to come back as follow up visit.....:smokin:
That would be cool, plan to do it to my E46 ... but all the wirings topic got me worrying ... LOL.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Can ask, got different packages......:driver:
Wooo ... that will make my E46 a poor man's M3 when the engine conversion is done, along with chassis reinforcement and sound proofing ... Next , is to repair the sound system. The front 2 speakers aint working :banghead:

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Wooo ... that will make my E46 a poor man's M3 when the engine conversion is done, along with chassis reinforcement and sound proofing ... Next , is to repair the sound system. The front 2 speakers aint working :banghead:
go, pick up that multimeter and start probing!