Essential RX maintenance

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
I Think We Need To Have A Workshop Day La ..... It Just Kills Me To Visualize All The Thing That Needs To Be Done ....

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
My understanding of coolant as follows:

The coolant (green or red stuff) contains ethylene glycol which is primary used to raise the boiling point of water above 100 degree celsius and also to stop the water & coolant mixture from freezing in sub 0 temps (not needed as we always stinking hot in KL!). In addition to this it helps to lubricate the water pumps seals (very important) and prevent corrosion of aluminium & iron engine internals - you'll notice it is a little oily.

However, ethylene glycol (coolant) also reduces the heat absorption of water and thus reduces its ability to transfer heat from the engine to the radiator therefore the more coolant you have the less heat transfer too = higher water & engine temps.

The water wetter is to reduce localised boiling by reducing bubbles in the water and in turn increases water to metal contact for better heat transfer. Air you should remember from chemistry/physics is a very good insulator (i.e. doesn't conduct heat very well).

Hence, if you put the above understanding into practice you should keep coolant mixture low ie less than 30% IMO for optimal effect i.e. good heat transfer of water and slight increase in boiling point of water.

Also as far as radiator caps go they are designed to raise the pressure of the cooling system as a higher pressure equals higher boiling point of water too. BUT too high a pressure (i.e. 1,3bar) stresses the o-rings in your engine leading to premature failure = full rebuild required.

Hence IMO use 0.9bar to be safe or max 1.1bar if you need a little higher boiling point of the water.

I trust the above explains the whole thingee and removes any confusion?!?!

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
i got myself a SARD alluminum AST... it comes with a 1.3 BAR cap... guess i need to put in another cap..... wasted..... the SARD 1.3 BAR cap is EXPENSIVE if purchased seperately.....

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
13btt said:
Standard for FD to run between 82 and 110 degrees but much safer to run under 100 degrees most of the time. These temps are with the oem 82 thermostat in place.

hey mr gwai loh ! ... when can u help me fix my apex'i water temp ... been waiting since the third day i bought my car man !

thanks man

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
digital .... i think you've seen it man ... fix a time and i'll gladly come phat!

thanks man

khbeh34

Known Member
Feb 3, 2006
Realiable????

To every expert at here....Is that the RX-8 Rotary engine Realiable???? Heard the machanic said this engine always 'eat' oil---> afterthat have to rebuild or change engine? I'm planning to buy a RX-8 manual with Mazdaspeed bodykit.... suddenly heard the machanic say like that, feel very shock dunno should i buy or not....

Thanks for help to answer my question.... Newbie here...

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Can't trust mechanics in what they say when talking about rotary engine here - they don't have the skill / lack of knowledge with them so they say they (RE) are crap / unreliable. To them it is better to say engine no good then as that way they save face / maintain your confidence in them as mechanics lah.

Isn't it typical for one mechanic to run down another mechanic just to get your business...? So how can you trust their objectivity and provide an unbiased opinion??

Simple answer really - look at rotary's history overseas say in USA and Australia and that should answer your Q. Local knowlege amongst mechanics in KL is limited hence the bad publicity / reputation. See "rotary engine no good lah" posting for all your answers.

khbeh34

Known Member
Feb 3, 2006
13btt said:
Can't trust mechanics in what they say when talking about rotary engine here - they don't have the skill / lack of knowledge with them so they say they (RE) are crap / unreliable. To them it is better to say engine no good then as that way they save face / maintain your confidence in them as mechanics lah.

Isn't it typical for one mechanic to run down another mechanic just to get your business...? So how can you trust their objectivity and provide an unbiased opinion??

Simple answer really - look at rotary's history overseas say in USA and Australia and that should answer your Q. Local knowlege amongst mechanics in KL is limited hence the bad publicity / reputation. See "rotary engine no good lah" posting for all your answers.
Sir, if i didt do any mod in RX-8 is it oso a daily use car? RX-8 can drive in highway? will it overheat?

thanks for answering me.... i really look like idiot coz i ask the dump dump question...

Last edited:

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
No question is dump, but . . . :emoticon_U:

khbeh34 said:
Sir, if i didt do any mod in RX-8 is it oso a daily use car? RX-8 can drive in highway? will it overheat? by the way if i wanna modified at the performance parts which will u recomend me?

thanks for answering me.... i really look like idiot coz i ask the dump dump question...

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
No it won't overheat and yes of course can use as daily driver. Mazda wouldn't design a car that isn't reliable especially the RX-8!

khbeh34

Known Member
Feb 3, 2006
good news.... i'm ordering a RX-8 wit Mazdaspeed bodykit plus manual version... Wish me luck.....

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
khbeh34 said:
good news.... i'm ordering a RX-8 wit Mazdaspeed bodykit plus manual version... Wish me luck.....
well done. do join us when you come to kl

quixeric

Known Member
Dec 30, 2005
welcome to the gang, hey alchemis how much did u purchase the SARD AST and whre ya get it. im looking for 1 now, think i will use back the 0.9 caps

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
i got it from ah choy.... around 500...
comes with a 1.3 BAR cap. useless. i swapped back with the 0.9 BAR

his place also have a taiwan made AST... that cost almost half the price only.. but serve the same purpose.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

AutoDetailer is celebrating Fathers Day for the entire month of June, so get a chance to take home the latest Lamborghini Aventador today! Each LP700-4 Aventador which comes in four authentic colours choices such as Arancio Argos, Grigio Estoque, Nero Aldebran and Bianco Isis are officially licensed Maisto® 1:24 scale models and you can own one just by sending your car(s) in for a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience