Formula 1News

Shocking: Schumacher To Replace Massa !!!!

michael-schumacher

As if to underline that nothing is ever predictable in Formula One, Ferrari announced Wednesday evening that Michael Schumacher is to stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at the forthcoming Grand Prix in Valencia and beyond.

With Massa out of action due to the injuries sustained in qualification for the Hungarian Grand Prix and making a strong recovery, the rumour mill had been rife with speculation as to who would take over the F60 cockpit alongside Kimi Raikkonen as the Brazilian recuperates.

Indeed, no less than 13 drivers had been linked with the drive amongst reports that the 40-year old seven-time champion was not interested in resurrecting his career with the Italian champions.

“We have said before that it is possible that Michael Schumacher could return to help us out,” head of communications Luca Colajanni said ahead of the official announcement.

Schumacher last competed in the sport in 2006 where he finished second to Fernando Alonso in the standings, having secured no less than seven victories to add to his tally of 91 wins.

“Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa’s car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again,” the team stated.

“Michael Schumacher said he is ready and over the next few days will undertake a specific training programme at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August.”

A controversial figure despite his massive success in Formula One, Schumacher will be the centre of attention later this month as the series regroups following the summer break.

Earl ALEXANDER
© CAPSIS International
via F1-Live

B
Shocking indeed. Kudos to Michael for being willing to take on Kimi, and Sebastien and Lewis. He's got nothing left to prove and all the $$$ a man could want so the competitive fires must still burn deep and he must be curious to see how the he matches up against the new generation of young guns.

Valencia I see as tune up race for Schumi to dust off the cobwebs but I'll really be looking forward to Spa & Monza where both Kimi & Michael have been dominant.
M
  • M
    mag
  • Jul 30, 2009
J.Button,
buckle up nicely please...hes gonna whip off your a-ss. =)
R
  • R
    rogoller
  • Jul 30, 2009
I hope this is the real deal coz right now iam in tears..
M
  • M
    minivan
  • Jul 30, 2009
So theres a vacancy in top gear for the stig's post then?
M
  • M
    Marv
  • Jul 30, 2009
Don't be surprise if he race in Valencia in his Stig suit... hahahaa
K
  • K
    Khencana
  • Jul 30, 2009
why they didnt choose alex yoong???? LOL
Z
  • Z
    zeke
  • Jul 30, 2009
great news! he wont turn down this opportunity. schumi is the right man for the job.
A
  • A
    A1Diablo
  • Jul 30, 2009
Indeed a very big surprise! Definitely beneficial for PR purposes but other than that I fail to see the logic for the decision. What's the benefit for Schumi either other than to 'lepas geram' like any other driver. He is a legend already and that should be preserved. The risk to him is high and any 'fubar' will tarnish his reputation. There are more deserving current young drivers who would benefit greatly from the opportunity.
D
  • D
    dd
  • Jul 30, 2009
welcome back Shuey... time to kick @ss...=)
A
  • A
    A1Diablo
  • Jul 30, 2009
He can kick ass if he drives for RBR probably but in the F60.. hope fans are not expecting him to win
C
  • C
    chrls
  • Jul 30, 2009
at his age 40 and also being out of the car for 2years, if he is still competitive to win races... tell me about it !!
A
  • A
    A1Diablo
  • Jul 30, 2009
I suspect it really isn't about race results. Probably Ferrari want Schumi to inspire the team like he used to. Probably the benefit is for team spirit which they seem to have lost quite a bit since Schumi left. It's also good PR for Ferrari. But for Schumi personally I think it's risky
K
it is going to be fun to see schumi in the driver seat...
A
  • A
    A1Diablo
  • Jul 30, 2009
One thing Schumi would have an advantage over his team mate, especially Kimi, is his ability to extract more out of team members and in turn the car as well. He is a superb team leader/player
N
  • N
    netmatrix
  • Jul 30, 2009
I think Michael would just treat it like a game to himsef. He doesn't have anything more to prove. But A1Diablo is right. It does good for PR. And also it will definitely bring in some fans who have supported him last time. For the team it will be a boost mentally too.
P
  • P
    pcphobic
  • Jul 30, 2009
Schuey is NOT THE STIG.

It was a prank pulled on us by Top Gear. Please go watch Top Gear Season 13 Episode 1 and u will understand.
I personally think it has something to do with attracting crowds to the Valencia GP.. The organisers at Valencia did have problems with attracting spectators to this year's race.. Low ticket sales and etc.. Even Bernie spoke about it.. Plus Renault being banned from the Valencia GP didnt help as Spanish fans usually attend to support the baby of the F1 drivers line-up.. Fernando Alonso.. No Fernando = No Crowd = Low ticket sales = No money made... BUT... Replace Alonso with Schumi and you have a crowd thronging to see the return of the legend.. I smell a rat.. One with its pocket full of cash..
J
  • J
    Janson911
  • Jul 31, 2009
Welcome Schumi Back!!!!
S
  • S
    skazareth
  • Jul 31, 2009
Schumi's come back is to inspire the whole Formula One...... can u see that?
M
  • M
    minivan
  • Jul 31, 2009
pcphobic... u take take things way too seriously... ppl know la...
L
  • L
    Lewis Hamilton
  • Jul 31, 2009
I WILL KICK M.S. ASS IN VALENCIA.BRING IT ON OLDMAN!
L