Which GPS navigation is most suitable

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
hello all,
let me start this sub forum with its #1 thread.

To those that are using any GPS navigation system,
pls share your views on the device you have.

Brand & Model:
pro:
con :

:biggrin:

vtec-ing

Apr 8, 2008
Brand & Model: NK N82 with Symbian S60 Garmin Mobile XT
pro: got hokkien and cantonese voice to choose.wuakaka
con :need alot *ahem* in order for it to work

BuSS79

Known Member
Oct 24, 2006
i also using garmin..on my N95....ok.....the nokia also ok..but u hav to buy it laa:driver:

7Heaven

7,000 RPM
May 30, 2005
Ipoh/Kelantan
mike any lubang for GPS? im planning to buy 1 soon, then will be more easy for me to drive around in kl hehehe.....:biggrin:

Jutan Supplier

Known Member
Aug 27, 2007
www.facebook.com
I'm using RCG GS-961 GPS..using either Malsing or Mapking map

got english, bahasa, canto, mando, thai, viet & indo navigation language..

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
im using kuala lumpur tourist road map. if want other states, gotta buy more maps lar...

pro: cheap and updated, doesn't waste hp battery when i need it most
cons: wear and tear coz its paper...hehe

melody

9,000 RPM
Jun 9, 2005
ipoh
I'm still searching for one..
Am torn between Garmin & Gophers..
Still haven't make up my mind..
Perhaps shall view all the feedback here..

wfhan, thanx for being a thread starter..

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
I'm still searching for one..
Am torn between Garmin & Gophers..
Still haven't make up my mind..
Perhaps shall view all the feedback here..

wfhan, thanx for being a thread starter..
Am using the Garmin currently as i'm in the US. No complains. Small, compact & user friendly controls/touch screen. Hwvr, don't know how the performance will be if used in Malaysia.

I guess the unit is as good as the map that u load onto it... :biggrin:

Last edited:

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
Been using the Garmin iQue M4 for 4 years so far.... still great, and its PDA function is working well.

BuSS79

Known Member
Oct 24, 2006
ala broo...just use nokia n95 GPS....ok la...bukan for heavy duty nya kan....i use it in the air also ok maa..kekekekke

melody

9,000 RPM
Jun 9, 2005
ipoh
Am using the Garmin currently as i'm in the US. No complains. Small, compact & user friendly controls/rouch screen. Hwvr, don't know how the performance will be if used in Malaysia.

I guess the unit is as good as the map that u load onto it... :biggrin:
Yah, i need one just like u mention..:love:
I don't like bulky type nor complicated buttons..
Actually i don't hv much usage..
Just need one when i go shopping & cuti-cuti in KL & elsewhere..:smile:

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Yah, i need one just like u mention..:love:
I don't like bulky type nor complicated buttons..
Actually i don't hv much usage..
Just need one when i go shopping & cuti-cuti in KL & elsewhere..:smile:
Yeah, Melody ... agree with u ... if i use one in Malaysia, it's also to get around in KL i suppose becoz i suxx on kl roads ... (pardon my French!! :smile:)

Maybe u might wanna consider the new iPhone also .... that comes with GPS also ... :listen: then u getting 2 for the price of 1!!! Now isn't that a great sales pitch!!! hahaha

carlyap

500 RPM
Jun 9, 2008
im using kuala lumpur tourist road map. if want other states, gotta buy more maps lar...

I agreed with you ... save current.

MetaruBZG

Known Member
Dec 25, 2005
Cyberjaya
www.cardomain.com
Brand & Model: NK N81-8GB (Nokia Maps) with Holux M-1000 External GPS-r
pro: Separate power (less drain on hp batt), rather quick gps lock.
con: Extra item to carry around.

Last edited:

Ian Sia

Jun 22, 2008
you are better off with a Garmin. The entire unit is developed in house rather than an OEM unit like the Gophers, Delphi, Holux and RCG. all these other guys don't have GPS technology, just get some factory to assemble for them. Furthermore all these other brands are using Win CE OS which is not very stable. Models like Gophers cannot even search GPS Coordinates with Lat / Long. This is the fundamental platform on which GPS is built on. What sakai GPS cannot search Lat / Long?
The best part abt the Garmin models is that they release new firmware updates periodically to further enhance the performance of the GPS unit. Win CE based units cannot upgrade firmware.

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
I am from Australia and I have been using GPS Sat Nav for years. I have own quite a few, but let me tell you that my best experience is with Mitac Mio.

For those of you who do not know this brand, they are one of the pioneers in manufacturing satellite mobile phones, satellite tracking device, and most recently, mass producing GPS Sat Nav.

They are one of the most accurate and quickest Sat Nav you can buy in the market today, not only that, they also have the most user friendly mapping browser plus user interface of all other brands in the market.

The next brand I would recommend is Navman. They are tough and reliable, have good reputation, but they have poor map design and interface. Route re-calculation is slower than Mio, however locking to satellite is extremely fast even under thick grey clouds in the sky.

Garmin is one of the most reputable brands in Asia due to its mapping popularity. It hasn't come alone nicely, older models were big fat and chunky. Poor satellite locking especially on cold start (they take forever to lock in), route re-calculation is slow, very important when you missed a turn, you want the device to provide the next best alternate route.

Tom Tom is by far the worst performer in this market, it has the largest screen you can buy for a Sat Nav however it is far worse than Garmin.

The only this Mitac Mio is lacking is its ability to purchase maps for other country and use it in the same device. For example, Mio Sat Nav unit you purchase in Australia will only work with Australian maps, if you purchase maps for another country and saved in it the SD Card, it will not work on the Australia unit.

However when comparing everything else, it is the most accurate GPS, partly due to its fast processing time which means, it will ask you to turn before you need to turn, which gives you plenty of time to prepare to turn. Where as the other units would turn you to turn at exactly the time you should turn. Most of the time, you would already have missed your turn by the time the voice guides speak.

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
for me..... i own the GARMIN 200W IN MALAYSIA.... ( EDGAR, THERE IS NOT MUCH BRAND TO CHOOSE IN MALAYSIA OTHER THAN CHINA BRAND.... HEHE), even as told, sometimes when we drive through the wrong way, the re-calculation is a bit slow, as well some times it will guide u through the further way that you know, ( if u know how to take short cut in that area.) But the best is, Garmin has the map which is so complete that sometimes they EVEN HAVE THE ROUTES SHOWN IN A CLUBHOUSE!! (i.e. the lanes in the mt. Kiara Club). And it is nice if you dont even know where you are.... ( in a new area).... So if u r in Malaysia, stick to Garmin.... You will also get many hotspots i.e.entertainment area, shopping centre, karaoke, hospital, petrol station etc..... by short, it will become very handy in Malayia...

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
mike any lubang for GPS? im planning to buy 1 soon, then will be more easy for me to drive around in kl hehehe.....:biggrin:
no lubang, i'm also planing to get one as well..
maybe a garmin.

haha.. i use to keep a full book of KL in my car console box deh..
hehe. but susah to use, need to stop roadside to read/remember some way-points...:P

johorian

Nov 29, 2003
I started off with the Garmin 10x bluetooth adaptor but found it troublesome when a call came in on the phone at the same time. So now I use a Garmin Nuvi instead.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nissan GT-R : A Day In Germany - Behind The Scene.
Even though Nissan has officially unveiled The Godzilla, but these "Behind The Scene" photos is worth of viewing. Some are never-seen-before images !

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience