Wheel vibrated at > 90km/h

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

cb70

Known Member
Hi guys,

Need ur opinion on this...

Before this I've experience some vibration at my front wheel at <80km/h driving speed....So, I've changed to new set of brand new tyre & do off-wheel balancing which manage to eliminate the vibration...But, recently, upon reaching 90km/h above, i can felt the same vibration at the front wheel as well as at the steering...I've read somewhere that "on-wheel" balancing is NOT RECOMMENDED as it will shorten the lifespan of your shaft right? Correct me if i'm wrong...Yesterday, i came to a tyre shop & seek for their advice...They told me, it is normal for wider tyres/rims (mine is 195 50 R15) to experience the vibration as there are really sensetive to road surface such as bumps & holes...I'm kind of agree to that point... As a solution, he had advised me to install "center hole" kind of a ring made either alluminium or plastic to be placed on the center part of the inside rim....This ring somehow able to reduce the vibration....Previously, I've went to several tyre shop, & they said for any bigger rim upgrade, the installation of "center hole" ring is advisable.

So, is it neccessary for me to put in the ring?

Hi bro, i'm no expert, but in my opinion la..

Bigger tyres, more contact surface with the ground = more sensitive to road

imperfections, plus, if you're using a 50 series tyre, the sensivity will be increased,

this is because, there is less air in between the road and your rim, as it is low

profile. Hence, less damping effect and a bumpier ride can be expected compared

to a 60 or 70 series tyre.

About the off and on wheel balancing, can you please explain what is it about?

Its not the toe-in, toe-out matter right?

About the fibreglass or steel rings, they are necessary as your rims and the axle

are not match made in heaven, as in, they do not fit perfectly, therefore, the

rings are to minimise freeplay between the axle and the rims. Something like

a washer, you know? It fills up the little space in between the axle and the rims.

Regards,
Tezt.

Last edited:
I agree with Tezt. I have those center rings in my rims as well... :)

Not all wider profile tyre and rim got this problem.
My current 195/50/15 initially have this problem, but solved after I change the rims and tyre. I think mine can conclude that the fault lies either on the rim or tyre.

Also heard of that on wheel alignment is bad for drive shaft and stuff, the boss himself told me, no idea why though, he seem to paint a picture that it's an overkill or something like that....

In my case, it could be the rim i guess, since i;ve changed to new set of tires couple of months back...

I try to put the center hole & see if anything happens

thx guys...

Top Bottom