Tyre Sharing Experience tread

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

There's been a few thread discussing tyres opinion, price and experience. Why not we compile this in one thread so is easy for everyone and visitor/newcomer to our forum to check it out ?

Here's my sharing and personal experience. These are the tyres I've used before on my ride and their size as well.

I suggest we use rating to share our experience so is easier for all to understand and compare notes.

I'll use 1-10 la instead of long story but the 10 scale here is still street driving and not track slick performance rating la. 11 onwards is slick. Again, these are my personal scoring that I'm sharing so please don't sue me.

Dry Grip - 1 being banana and 10 being super-glue
Wet Grip - 1 being banana and 10 being super-glue
Treadwear - 1 being botak fast and 10 being forever tak botak. (lower is better in grip in most cases)
Sidewall - 1 being soft wall and 10 being hard

Here goes my sharing (related to Evos)..

1. Yokohama ES100 225/45/R18
Dry Grip - 3/10
Wet Grip - 3/10
Treadwear - 9/10
Sidewall 4/10

Price: Back then is RM 3xx (2003)
Comment: I use few months straight chance..cannot tahan this tyre but then the good news is the treadwear doesnt seems to 'wear'. ; )

2. GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD3 (Germany) 225/45/R17
Dry Grip - 6/10
Wet Grip - 8/10
Treadwear - 6/10
Sidewall - 5/10

Price: Back then is RM 550 (2003)
Comment: Very good (in fact I would say Superb) in wet but so so in dry. If can, get the germany version and not the Thai version/made (cheaper by almost rm200 coz Thai made does not contain silica compound hence less grip.

3. Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 225-235/45/R17
Dry Grip - 8.5/10
Wet Grip - 4/10
Treadware - 4/10 (rated 240 i think)
Sidewall - 8/10

Price: RM 550-6++ (I finish 225 and bought 235 in 2004-2005
Comment: Well the 2F2F marketing paid off as it was Neova back then. But then, it was really good considering the price you paid for. It has a very hard sidewall hence is really good for hard cornering but in DRY ! In WET is worst then my BATA slipper..no joke. Some might dispute but try going through Karak Highway on a wet day (no need to be heavy rain)..you'll be zig-zagging losing grip before you know it. Is very noisy too..

4. Toyo Proxes T1-R 235/45/R18
Dry Grip - 7/10
Wet Grip - 7/10
Treadware - 6/10
Sidewall - 5/10

Price: Ard RM620 for 18", was told RM500 for 17" can get in KL.
Comment: Again, F&F3 Tokyo Drift marketing paid off and I falled for this. Hehe..ok la. Is actually a good tyre and I must say is very good in Wet. I always complain of it's softer sidewall but that is because I was using 2 rounds of Advan Neova back then. To be fair, is a very practicle tyre for everyday, value for money and is all rounder above average mark for an Evo. Don't compare with Potenza RE050 or Advan 046 la.

5. Michellin Pilot Sport II (PS2) - 255/40/R17

Dry Grip - 9.5/10 (yes 9.5)
Wet Grip - 5/10
Treadware - 2/10 (Rated 220 but I think is lower..lol)
Sidewall - 8.5/10

Price: RM1050
Comment: This is as close as you get to semi-slick but still not there yet so can still use as daily drive tyre. I would say is ard the class with RE-050 and A046. Treadwear sucks btw but that's what you got to sacrifice for grip. Haven't really try wet but doesn't seems too good to deal with hydroplanning situation if you look at it's tread pattern (no longkang like T1R or GSD3).

Would be great if everyone can try to follow the same format and please share for Lancers size tyre too, not just Evos.

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
this thread is very informative, nice job !

can someone rate on the Yokohama Advan 046? which is stock tyre for evo.

Last edited:

cHeMiCaL_

Known Member
Feb 11, 2005
sory, me lazy to type but i feel i ought to share...

strictly for petrol head and / or track kaki. I may not have much experience, but here some of the tyre i had recent experienced with. Please note, I dont recommend using any less than 235 offset.

My personal review and tyre i will consider to use.

1. Advan Neova AD07 - excellent dry grip, terrible in wet, noisy.
2. Michelin PS2 - excellent dry grip, fairly good in wet.
3. Potenza RE050 - excellent dry & wet grip, bit expensive
4. Toyo R888 - excellent in grip, bad in wet, problem with police & short lifespan
5. Advan A048 - excellent dry grip, fairly ok in wet, byr problem with police (really sick semi-slick!) - my choice
6. Advan A046 - the greatest balanced tyre ever. I wish they sold it in after market and suits 18"! ;)

I would definitely stay away from;
1. Yokohama ES100 - for auntie car
2. Toyo T1R - good in looks, cheap, that's it! Living prove that marketing can make stupid product look good!

i reckon the best for evo is still Advan A046 for both track and fast driving, but only if you can get your hands on it.

I would definitely stay away from toyo T1R. those tyres are cheap but dangerous if you love to taking apex fast. I had my fair share of bad experience.

my 2 cents.

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
so far i'm quite fine with t1-r due to i'm a tail happy person...hehehe..
but have to say that its not a race or track tire... and its a bit noisy on cornering..
for daily driving...its a good tire..

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
What do u guys think of Hankook RS2? Heard good things about it on the other thread. interesting to see how the points compare against the 'big boys' above

chriskhaw

500 RPM
Dec 6, 2006
What do u guys think of Hankook RS2? Heard good things about it on the other thread. interesting to see how the points compare against the 'big boys' above
Did read an article once on the Hankook Rs2 and according to the article it mentions that its quite a good tyre. They tested it on a Subaru in Sepang. Anyway, I heard otherwise from other Evo drivers. Says the tyre sucks big time..

Dunno how lo but I stick to what I feel is the best tyre..Advan 046..Kick ass sticky son of a bitch tyre..LOLZ...

For those that cannot dig too deep into their pockets, like Mr. P says Toyo T1R good choice of everyday driving tyres.

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Chemical,

good sharing. But I can tell you really hardcore type la..more to track style of driving looking at the tyres profile/type u choose. hehe.

Hmm..you seems to hate T1-R but I felt not that bad la..for daily use considering the price u're paying for it, still acceptable. But then I totally agree with you on the tyre for Aunty type...ES100 ! LoL

Anyone tried the Kumho upper range of tyres ? Looks like they are penetrating lots of market nowdays as well as race tracks.

fred_soo_88

2,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2006
i use michelin ps2 on my bimmer.. yes ... i use onli 10000 km and its gone 50%.. damn fast the thread gone done.. but all i can say is .... u will love this tire.. is one of the best tire i ever use... it stick to the floor like a 4wd...

ccibai

Known Member
May 21, 2005
msia
my experience on t1R - not on evo but s15 18 inch. sidewall is softer compared to bridgestone gIII so it results in a more comfortable ride. st line grip is good but the softer sidewall made the turn in sloppy n it will let out funny screams when push into corner. so u will hv to play ard with the tyre pressure to find wat is best.

cHeMiCaL_

Known Member
Feb 11, 2005
bro b18c-r, me not really hardcore but loved to experience atleast once on everything.... However, I tend to repeat if i feel addicted ;)

anyway, t1r loves to go sideways, and as a result, ended up in uluyam gutter... t1r good for drifting, but no go for evo i guess... That's not all, worst part, i've been the laughing stock of my wife for not listening on her to wait for AD07 or A048!!! sometimes wifey knows everything i guess ;)

Anyway, i still have with me 4x Toyo t1r 235/40R18 used less than 1.5k km which i ditched in favour of AD07 255/35R18. Interested??

options

Known Member
Dec 3, 2006
Alright, Azizi ! u got it. I think for Jackie, even simex also he can do cornering 180km/hr haha ...

Hi members,
my own experience on tyres ... on my honda, potenza is better grip than toyo. But Toyo is more lasting...sorry forgot the model :mad:
So my conclusion, performance higher life span shorter. :stupid:

Currenly i am using Yokohama GP DNA, these are tyres come during i bought it recond from japan....normal drive is ok, when go to pasir gudang circuit few round cornering only, almost 50% tread gone.

May be it is due to my lack of experience in circuit drive but these are my case. :banghead:

options

Known Member
Dec 3, 2006

strictly for petrol head and / or track kaki. I may not have much experience, but here some of the tyre i had recent experienced with. Please note, I dont recommend using any less than 235 offset.

4. Toyo R888 - excellent in grip, bad in wet, problem with police & short lifespan
5. Advan A048 - excellent dry grip, fairly ok in wet, byr problem with police (really sick semi-slick!) - my choice
6. Advan A046 - the greatest balanced tyre ever. I wish they sold it in after market and suits 18"! ;)

2. Toyo T1R - good in looks, cheap, that's it! Living prove that marketing can make stupid product look good!

i reckon the best for evo is still Advan A046 for both track and fast driving, but only if you can get your hands on it.

I would definitely stay away from toyo T1R. those tyres are cheap but dangerous if you love to taking apex fast. I had my fair share of bad experience.

my 2 cents.
For the semi-slick, how much km you can last ? Also, i tot this is legally ok right ...this is what the shop dealer tell me. Do u got summon on it ?:biggrin:

options

Known Member
Dec 3, 2006

my 2 cents.
Hi,

For semi-slick, how much km it can last ? i tot it is legally ok as this is what the tyres shop dealer told me. Is it true ?

cHeMiCaL_

Known Member
Feb 11, 2005
For semi-slick, it will not be legal if they really want to make a case out of you. i reckon with mixture driving style will last you 5000km to 8000km only.

i've tested r888 & A048. Really sticked like chewing-gum!! those following you beware, you'll slingshot all tarmac particles onto your rear car! ;-)

happy modding!

Soundstream

1,500 RPM
May 2, 2004
NR MY
Visit site
Lazy to korek back old threads,

what's the different between AD046 and AD048 ? just a little improvement for e9 version?

I still believe this 2 tyres is great for evos. But if memory served me right. AD048 cost RM1K per piece. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
Chriskhaw, what is the price for Advan 046 ? where did you buy from ? MMM arh ?

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
i heard some good experience from using toyo R1R (or is it R01?)..hehehe..
heard the performance also quite good!!! anybody here use it b4?

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Soundstream,

A046 itself cost RM1k or slightly more already. A048 is semi-slick whereas A046 are those stock tyres that comes with E9. Still not semi-slick but damn good tyres !

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today we have with us a brand new Evoque. Aged about 1 week old, the owner notify us that the roof and rims were repainted into black to suit his taste. We were shocked to find...

Upon arrival, we did a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience