Tyre choices.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
nksc said:
ic..well dat rm500+ for a pair i saw in auction la..yahoo auction..but have to bid 1st la..if nobody lawan,can get la low price..heheh.

u very active mlm2 eh shiroitenshi @_@ ...
Oh.. auction...

Already tidur at 5 pm till 11 something.. so not sleepy now.. just hanging around and cleaning up some car parts.

Last edited:

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Wah, looks like the quote you got for the RT-615 beats the price I got. RT - 615 seems like a nice semi slick that's still usable for street use. But currently it's popular at US only, dunno why. RE-01R is popular at Japan pulak!

For road use, maybe using semis all around might cause some drag, but if you intend to fully whack 'em on the track, then why not?

shiroitenshi said:
RM600++ is for new RE-01R 15" (I was quoted that, if any forummers got lobang for cheaper prices.. post here!).. yes.. new semis are really really expensive.

Even the newer replacement RT-615s are more than double the price of the RT-215s they are replacing. I got quoted RM650 for the RT-615 each! (got a shock when I heard that!)

Looks like my next options will be to run Toyo R888s, IF I can still get them at sub 400 each. I think they range from RM310 (previously) to the current pricing of RM380 (depends on who and where you ask)
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/5H1R01T3N5H1/toyo.jpg

The threads are almost similar to the Proxes T1R.. so my friend says that on my next change, I can try a R888 in the fronts and T1R on the rear.. if both, he says the grip might cause a lot of drag.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Actually I think it's because the RE-01Rs are more expensive in the US.. dunno for sure though... try google it up on tirerack.com

finally tried the RT-215 with some serious mileage after solving some minor alignment issues... grip wise, the RE-01R wins hands down.. The RT-215s are good, but the RE-01R has much better feel than the 215s. I can pull some serious Gs on the RE-01Rs without it protesting with a squeal, but the RT-215s I'm using now squeals quite a bit (at the back) when taking the same corners. (I realigned to the same suspension settings for a closer comparison, so sus setting issues shouldn't be a factor. Only the front cambers are adjusted as I planned in my earlier post... but I'm really comparing how it goes on the back..

Comparing the price here.. I can't complain too much though.. Reading up on some reviews on the net, the RT-615 is closer to RE-01Rs in terms of performance, but both tires are now out of my league.. unless got lobang for cheap semis.. RT-215s my best bet for now. (>_<)

hopefully these tires will last until my B20B block gets underway again... but now it seems like I need to budget for some camber links and maybe a set of new bushes... B20B probably on hold again... argh!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
about 350 each.... but that's the quote I got for a set of 4s. You might get it cheaper, since that price is inclusive transport as well.. I was wrong on the date of manufacture... it's actually new stock that I got.. 13th week, year 2006. According to the supplier.. (he was hanging around when I was talking to the tyre shop owner, mentioned that not much is left since the model is discontinued, so better order quick.. almost like he want's me to order a total of 8 pieces.. ROFL!)

The way the threads are designed.. they WANT you to run negative camber.. The outside threads are thin as hell, with the inside being very very thick.. I estimate thread depth for the inside to be around 8mm -10mm. I expected grooves.. but not GROOVES.. :P.. If you wear out the outside thread.. it's going to be a waste of the rest of the rubber.

I'm currently at 1.54, and 2.0 negative on the rear camber.. I only added the washers to bring both sides to the same camber at 1.54, (still not enough) but I really wanted the 2.0 negative camber, and the only way I can do that is with adjustables. (hence the chassis TIUNING thread)

free2d

Jan 20, 2007
they said its around 190ish per piece brand new. but then again these are STREET tyres category.

if you wanna get semi-slicks then the list are as per below:
Advan A048
Advan A032R
Toyo Trampio R1R
Toyo R888
Michelin Pilot Cup

cheers
How does R888 compares to AD048?

Anyone tried b4?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
R888 has very good grip.. but also wears out alot faster.. expect tire change by 50000Km's. AD048, I think less to an extent.

Best if you see for yourself the tires. R888 looks really nice for me.

free2d

Jan 20, 2007
How are their treadwear? Hmm, actually I dont care. I just want grip.

They have same compound rubber?

Thanks

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
How are their treadwear? Hmm, actually I dont care. I just want grip.

They have same compound rubber?

Thanks
Bad.. very. If you want grip, R888 are good, but as with any semi slicks, warm them up properly first .. when cold, they grip just like normal tires. Some may say worse.

As for the compound.. all the semis are usually what american's call R compound.. but each manufacturers have their own mix, so different results.

These are not drag tires, so they pretty much run out of grip after a few rounds due to overheating.

Last edited:

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
shiro,
u mentioned R888 can last up til 50,000km???wat sorta driving?weekn alone or daily?hard 2 believe if its 4 daily driving...coz dat sorta mileage will beat even d AD07...no?

hattech-v,
not only u got stock 4 R888....i oso got..used 4 1 autocross event only(dis year ban pulak dah)....so,might wanna sell it..heheheheh

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
shiro,
u mentioned R888 can last up til 50,000km???wat sorta driving?weekn alone or daily?hard 2 believe if its 4 daily driving...coz dat sorta mileage will beat even d AD07...no?

hattech-v,
not only u got stock 4 R888....i oso got..used 4 1 autocross event only(dis year ban pulak dah)....so,might wanna sell it..heheheheh
About there lah.. if you drive it everyday.. remember that these tires wear quite well when they're warm.. And also, I calculate as a set.. means you rotate front to back lah.. after all, daily driven ride.

If you simply take them out on the track and whack em.. no wonder they wear quite fast.

It seems like the tire temp plays a part too in the wear of the tires.. some of the people using the RT215's cannot believe I only get like 50%-70% wear on the
tires after 50K, when they're having the same wear rate as me, and those are on their weekend cars that see nowhere near 50K mileage.

You might want to try this.. when the semis are cold, simply do a burnout.. the rubber comes off in chunks (I tried, and that was my result)... When warm.. haha.. burnout not possible unless you get some ridiculous rpms in.. even then your engine and car will be shuddering like hell to overcome the tire's grip.

DREAM

Known Member
May 27, 2004
juz for info, the right channel of getting RE01R is from BS malaysia, the r able bring as many as u want, juz tat u might not able to pay the price, it is so damn expensive, i was quote ~rm800 per piece, dun believe?? cal BS and check it out.. so.. any1 got good lubang 2 get RE01R wif cheaper price.. do let me know.. interested too, as my set going 2 wear out 'soon'... wanted buy n keep if cheap price..