Tolerance range for various temperature

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Any idea what are the safe tolerances for oil-temp/water temp/ext temp/int temp/etc. for GTR 34? Is it dangerous if out of the tolerance range? will outstation travelling caused these temperatures to shoot up and eventually caused your engine to 'pop'?

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
i'm not running 6 bangers on my car but below are some readings for normal driving at night between 80-100kmh.

1. water temp : +- 85 deg (with aircond on)
2. oil temp : 60-70 deg (my engine only has 4 pistons + i have an oil cooler so the temp is definitely lower compared to your 6 cylinders)
3. exhaust temp : 450-600 deg (if daytime, can go up to 700)

what are your current readings like btw?

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Frankly speaking I've no idea, just that the other day I went and test drove this GTR that I finally put booking on it, and the figures showed in the region of 90s, so just wanna find out is it normal for a GTR34.
btw, would the figures stay constant at a certain temp? or will it keep on going up if it is being driven continuasly? Man! didn't even find out such an important info b4 putting down booking.....

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Ask the dealer to flush out the radiator and refill back with a good brand solvent that's suites to our local climate and this should bring down the temperature. Engine wise, install a oil cooler and this is bring down the temperature as well, no matter you are at normal or race driving!

Bump: Ask the dealer to flush out the radiator and refill back with a good brand solvent that's suites to our local climate and this should bring down the temperature. Engine wise, install a oil cooler and this is bring down the temperature as well, no matter you are at normal or race driving!:wavey:

Bump: Ask the dealer to flush out the radiator and refill back with a good brand solvent that's suites to our local climate and this should bring down the temperature. Engine wise, install a oil cooler and this is bring down the temperature as well, no matter you are at normal or race driving!:wavey:

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Thanks for the info. btw nismo s tune, what are your gtr's figures? (wanna have a bench mark of safety temperature). Thanks again.

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Saw a similar post by our friend here about his rb25 temp. now I know that the temp does really goes up to such figures. However, back to this topic, I'm still curious about what exactly would the temperature tolerance be to be considered safe? Hope someone could give me some idea on this....

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
talking about std radiator and mod. Please make sure the water temp will not reaching MAX 110deg...beyond this the radiator will crack and spill.Plus a lot other circumtances.....

when reaching 105deg you may have to cool down the engine

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
thanks kaminari, how about oil temp, ext temp, and int temp? If each of these temp reading exceed this certain tolerances, what does it mean?

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Install an Oil Cooler, make sure your radiator is maintain at good condition, and engine is up to date serviced records, then the temp will maintain at safe level. Should you have after markets performance parts like bigger Turbo, cam shaft, performance muffler, and etc...then your temp will be more on the high side as all the sensors are designed for OEM parts. Unless you had change to an aftermarket thermostat and others, then the temp range might be more stable but still higher than original range.

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Install an Oil Cooler, make sure your radiator is maintain at good condition, and engine is up to date serviced records, then the temp will maintain at safe level. Should you have after markets performance parts like bigger Turbo, cam shaft, performance muffler, and etc...then your temp will be more on the high side as all the sensors are designed for OEM parts. Unless you had change to an aftermarket thermostat and others, then the temp range might be more stable but still higher than original range.
so what is the original range? is it mentioned in the owner's manual (if anyone have one)?

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Original manual?? Unless I have a Japaneses babe with me lah..even I do, don't think will have time to read over the manual...as too busy doing manual....hee hee hee heehee.....:love:

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
Manual in English. No Japanese babe needed.

R34 Manual In English

GT-R Temperatures (Stock, Spirited Driving)

Water Temp: 85 +/- (Lower at night, 87-88 during daytime) Set MFD limit at 89

Oil Temp: 90 +/- (Lower figures with oil cooler) Set MFD limit 110

Exhaust temp: average while pushing 800.. Set MFD limit 850

if the figures you're getting is higher, take into account your radiator needs cleaning, or the coolant changed, if the oil needs changing, and what not.

i hope this helps, and if my figures are wrong please correct it, thanks.

Oh, and the figures should be much lower if you have the N1 engine/block so dont be shocked *cough*Darkchild*cough*

hahahaha!

Last edited:

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
That's real helpful man! 2xx pages of manual..... that will keep me busy for a while.... Thanks for the temp ranges given as well, that's what i'm lookin for :biggrin:

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
However, are those reading meant for japanese cold temp country? Compare to malaysia where the hot sun raise the country temp from 30-35c. Would it effect the whole reading as well?

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
I think the weather did play a role into the temp range as well..I could be wrong...try email Nissan and see what they reply??

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
email nissan? will they bother to reply us?

fordlaserking

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
sometime my exhaust temp reach 900 when full throtle it..

and currently my muffler leaking, its possible to produce thar rate?

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
u could be running lean. Check ur AFR quickly. Leaking exhaust on lead to less backpressure.

calvintys

Known Member
Sep 24, 2004
klang
Well for my GTR - Normal driving my water and oil temp are always the same level as in looking on the MSD maybe because i am using a 3 layer radiator and Super Huge inter cooler plus an oil cooler.

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
don't worry much. as long it doesn't pass through 100 on normal driving u'll b ok. :)
highest i've had was 120 on stock. not a good thing though. :(

Bump: yo farizio.
i can't seem to access the document. everytime also say error loading file.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TEST CAR FITTED WITH POWERZONE PRODUCTS

Test Vehicle
Car Regn. No: WHF 577
Make/Model: PROTON Wira 1.3GLi Aeroback
Year Manufactured: 1999

Engine Fitted

Engine Type: Mitsubishi/Proton 4G15 SOHC
Engine Capacity: 1468 c.c.

Engine Modifications

Camshaft: PowerZone high performance road formula cam (reprofiled from original camshaft)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience