Skateboarder Jumps Great Wall Of China

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

PoWeRz

Known Member
Dec 10, 2003
kl
LOS ANGELES - Daredevil skateboarder Danny Way rolled down a massive ramp at nearly 50 mph and jumped across the Great Wall of China on Saturday, becoming the first person to clear the wall without motorized aid, an event sponsor said.

Way botched the landing on his first attempt but then successfully completed the jump across the 61-foot gap four times, adding 360 degree spins on his last three tries, sponsor Quiksilver, Inc. said.

"I was aware of the dangers and my heart was pumping in my chest the whole time, but I managed to pull it off with the help of my team, and I'm honored to have my visions embraced by the people of China," Way said in a statement.

A crowd of several thousand people, including China's ministers of extreme sports and culture, gathered at the Ju Yong Guan Gate about a 40-minute drive from Beijing, Quiksilver's greater China marketing director Ryan Hollis said.

"It was pretty fantastic," Hollis said in an interview from Beijing. "He really has spent quite a few years even thinking about this whole idea. It's been in logistical planning for about eight months. ... It was pretty amazing today to see this happen, to see it adopted by the culture, adopted by the government."

Way's made the jump on an adaptation of the so-called mega ramp, a gigantic structure that he helped create near his home in the Southern California desert. He set a skateboard jump world record for distance (79 feet) on a mega ramp at last summer's X Games, and in 2003 set the height record of 23 1/2 feet at the desert ramp.

Event sponsor Quiksilver, based in Huntington Beach, makes skateboard apparel

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
FuGZ said:
siao? prolly one day if i was such a hardcore transition skateboarder.

Pickcell,
Yeap still skateboarding for 9 years here.

hardcore skateborder...hehehehehehhehee :D

blue_hippo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2004
damn.......i wish i could do that.

Pickcell

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
Asia
FuGZ : wah 9 YEars?! DAMN LONG WEIH!!!!! u must be damn good huh?? what's ur name? where u skate anyway normally?
i used to skate ler.. now still do, very seldom la. coz last time form 4 damn bloody hardcore every day sure skate , no fail.. unless raining ler. then form 5 spm all my friends stopped, sigh.. damn suck weihz. so i also no motivation already ler to continue.. then started abit back for some exercise after so long.. lolzz..

Alien: dunno ler, once he jumped from a helicopter onto a ramp.. doing an Indy, i think? not sure.. but he did damn alot of shit ler.. showed many new tricks years back and really changed how skateboarding was. (Am i right FuGZ?)

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
Pickcell said:
FuGZ : wah 9 YEars?! DAMN LONG WEIH!!!!! u must be damn good huh?? what's ur name? where u skate anyway normally?
i used to skate ler.. now still do, very seldom la. coz last time form 4 damn bloody hardcore every day sure skate , no fail.. unless raining ler. then form 5 spm all my friends stopped, sigh.. damn suck weihz. so i also no motivation already ler to continue.. then started abit back for some exercise after so long.. lolzz..

Alien: dunno ler, once he jumped from a helicopter onto a ramp.. doing an Indy, i think? not sure.. but he did damn alot of shit ler.. showed many new tricks years back and really changed how skateboarding was. (Am i right FuGZ?)
Haha, yes 9 years, and i can't say how good i am, i don't judge myself :) My name, i won't mention it here. Since i moved to KL, I've been skating in KG Batu Skatepark alot, but nowadays usually in PJ Arena since they built new obstacles. Hey, i skated 2 years without friends cuz they stopped, and skated with new people after that. Come drop by at the park, you might get that motivation back... ehehee..

As for Danny Way, yeap... I guess we could see he started doing gaps like these during the filming of the DC Video. Another insane thing he did before was roll down a HUGE Halfpipe from a helicopter and make some serious air. Dude's got serious balls...