ROTA Wheels/Rims

newuy

Known Member
Jun 19, 2006
if not mistaken, i got my 17 inch rota slipstreams for sgd200/pc in 2006.
i did some calculations back then, and drove down, installed the rotas with dunlop dz tires, trade in my OEM honda civic Fd1 rims+tires even, and came back to KL. and the price was still cheaper than buying taiwanese rims+tires here in KL...

Just sharing with others that there are options if you make the effort to research a bit, and make a road trip(makan in malacca,happy hour in SGD,etc somemore).
but if you dont wanna drive down, just buy from the rota wheels malaysia from FB.
but are they the same person?
back in 2006, i remember there was no rota distributor in malaysia, you mean there is now?

Re: ROTA Grid Wheels. Style over safety?
From my experience, I had used 17inch Rota Slipstream(spoon sw388 lookalilke) on my civic fd1 from 2006 until 2010. Liked the design very much, it was Matte black with red line on the rim's lip. Back then it was nicer than those wedsport or work emotion replica rims. with the rota, i did not face and problems whatsever. hit potholes here and there, still tough and still balanceable when changing tires and doing wheel balancing.(maybe bcoz my design had 5 large spokes = tougher)
i got them then from Singapore - HTyre for roughly the price of Taiwanese 17 inch rims.< rm2k
changed it in 2010 for new rims with different offset as the rota offsets require spacers since i had BBK in front. and i didn;t like to continue getting spacers.

overall you get what you pay for, the weight is manageable and light for 17inch.
I think more recently there are some distributor starting to sell Rota branded rims locally.
They are manufactured in Philipines when i got them in 2006, and in SG, the shop i went to-HTyre was selling quite a lot of rota rims. I was told Rota make alot of OEM rims in philipines..maybe kinda like our JRD/enkei in malaysia

The picture of the rim snapping off is usually a sign of metal fatigue or direct impact for cast rims.
In fact, any OEM rim that are cast will also snap off like that if you hit it hard enough or there is already metal fracture.
I had a fren with Ori MItsubishi lancer GT 18 inch rims, hit a pothole somewhere in KL, the rim cracked though the center and it become 2 thin rims...thats OEM quality to you.

No harm in sharing a proven fact, but those images dont tell the entire story, they might be true but maybe just the end result, the process before that end-result=we can only guess.
Just be careful whether its OEM, or replica or ori JDM, our roads here can kill any rim, no matter how cheap or expensive they may be.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
SINGAPORE
Whoa so the so called "Rota Malaysia" is not a true Rota distributor for Malaysia?? Well then that explains the difference in prices!
We had a meeting at Rota HQ last month....

Nothing that we know of....
We do not know the origin of these wheels....

If there is a distributor in Malaysia, it will be officially listed on the Rota website....
This should be clear enuff...
Thanks

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
We had a meeting at Rota HQ last month....

Nothing that we know of....
We do not know the origin of these wheels....

If there is a distributor in Malaysia, it will be officially listed on the Rota website....
This should be clear enuff...
Thanks
Yeap, just checked the website and indeed there's no official Rota Malaysia distributor in the list! For SE Asia, besides Singapore, only got one in Jakarta, Indonesia.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if not mistaken, i got my 17 inch rota slipstreams for sgd200/pc in 2006.
i did some calculations back then, and drove down, installed the rotas with dunlop dz tires, trade in my OEM honda civic Fd1 rims+tires even, and came back to KL. and the price was still cheaper than buying taiwanese rims+tires here in KL...

Just sharing with others that there are options if you make the effort to research a bit, and make a road trip(makan in malacca,happy hour in SGD,etc somemore).
but if you dont wanna drive down, just buy from the rota wheels malaysia from FB.
but are they the same person?
back in 2006, i remember there was no rota distributor in malaysia, you mean there is now?
No problem with Customs? Because not sure which year, my friend mentioned customs very strict with tyres from Singapore...If pay tax, then will be more costly.....

newuy

Known Member
Jun 19, 2006
no problem with customs as I trade in my OEM honda civic fd1 16 inch rims +old tires and installed the new rota+dunlop tires before coming back...
dont think customs know i changed rims also since it was quite dusty after driving a few days in SG.
Cheers

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
no problem with customs as I trade in my OEM honda civic fd1 16 inch rims +old tires and installed the new rota+dunlop tires before coming back...
dont think customs know i changed rims also since it was quite dusty after driving a few days in SG.
Cheers
That is what most of them tried to do, especially if got rain try to run them dirty.....but some custom officer very alert.....:smokin:

shawnzz

500 RPM
Sep 6, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
wow, now only i know rotas bring in 4x114.3 16 inch. Very hard to find this in Malaysia. Only can get 17inch and above for this spec.

anyways, do they accept trade in for 17inch taiwan with tires? is their trade in price high? anyone experience before? If nt that high, i rather bring back the rim & tire. Will custom stop me anot?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Like bro. newuy mentioned drive a few days to make it look old, dusty, dirty.....before coming back. Don't shine until bling bling.....

RONIN

Known Member
Jun 22, 2004
guys,

u also can check on EBAY for rota market value.. rota in Malaysia are overpriced as they are not official distributor for Rota Wheels but fake rota a lot cheaper compare SG...