my Plugs need to see some doctor

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
hi guys,

here are the picture of my heat range 10.5 iridium plugs.
they are Denso remarked HKS plugs and model number is IRE031.
i'm running 4 pcs of 10.5

story is ... when i'm running with these... my car gives horrible petrol un-burnt chemical smell ... but power pulls all the way to 8K (ignoring my stuttering problem).

took them out.... replaced them with BUR8EQ and BUR9EQ. my idle smells so much better and cleaner... although still have quite amount of unburned fuel smell.

anyone on the line here can see if my car is running hell rich... or what sort of information we can tell from these worn plugs...

i think i have around 3000 KM on them....from the last full day track day... few months back.

the picture with white cloth wrapping it is trailling (top plugs). the one with my bare hands are leading (bottom plugs).

hope someone can tell me stories about it...BIG pictures... enough resolution for anything

img1101cs3.jpg

img1102an8.jpg

img1103qy2.jpg

img1104ck4.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. advise u to have nails cut.....:embaressed_smile:

hehehe

The smell is common at idel. Get an AFC to adjust the A/F. If u wanna use back the Ho Kam Shui, use brake cleaner to clean and brush those plugs. I'm not recommend u to re-use the old plugs, old plugs always give problems. Get a new set plug la. Ur ECU might not suit ur setup, different timing, different octane... try to put back the stock ECU and u'll be an happy man:shades_smile:

i'll replace back to stock ECU and see... if everything runs fine.. then i might consider fine tuning it using AFC on the FAM speed ECU

if i got VSS, then i'll buy power FC :) ahahahahahahah

i thought all ECU will auto adjust the octane when reset the ECU...
mine performed slightly better compared to fresh on.... when it's from another car...
basically, other than way too rich... that ECU rocks... need to down tune... :)

rich rich dude. you're running super rich. i suggest a different ecu and dial in proper afr's. you're loosing power top end when secondary injectors reach higher duty cycles.

got it got it....
sighs.... need to hunt for another ECU or AFC....
PFC.... that's less likely.... tuning that piece of thing cost me a remapped ECU...

wat are u boosting? are u running a big single turbo application?

if not revert to stock plugs and try. if still got this problem (suspect is engine running RIch) means must tune the Air Fuel ratio to the correct setting.

Another thing is could be your exhaust too restrictive for your fierce exhaust output from the engine.

boosting 0.85~ 0.9 BAR depending on ambient temperature.

just slotted in NGK 8 and 9 spark plugs....

oh yeah... BTW, there's once dyno result air fuel lower than 9.8 :)

exhaust.... not restrictive at all.. blitz NUR spec... can cause earth quake with the low booming sound.

oh yeah.. if i push the boost higher... will my engine able to burn them up or withstand it ?

then i can only draw the conclusion that u must have removed the emissions control air pump. need to re tune cos your engine has less load. the pulleys only run 1) alternator 2) aircon compressor 3) fan? depends if ur fan is electric or not 4) water pump

do u experience boost creep? like the boost funny funny like that?

re tune ? it's a remapped... unable to tune.. meant for handling increased boost level by increasing fuel.

the air pump does not play any effect on it... the air pump if you know, it runs only on low RPM... when the engine spins more than 2K rpm.. the pulley will stop spining. it does not have and load relation on the air pump. BTW, i got that removed. :)

i'll still believe it might be too rich, also might be causing to the issue i have (stuttering at high RPM).

my boost... since it's a remapped ECU... it's different the moment i plug it on...
let's make it this way... the pattern is 0.9 0.8 0.9.... yes it's higher than stock 0.6 bar.

the turbo making the whistling sound so nice :).. never been that loud on 0.6 BAR before :P

whistling sound i suspect ur turbo boosting too high or at too unstable rpm (this for the turbo)

my friend had this problem. he went to vazmazz in jb and they had to change the plugs plus re set the airflow setting (he used microtech so easy to tune) then can liao.

maybe you never whack the car that's why theres excess carbon build up.

got ask any of the kl side rotary gurus? i also keen to learn bro. must meet up u guys when i come down to kl.

In fact one thing it could be is that your injectors are worn and do not respond so nicely to changes in rpm and continue to spray excessive fuel through the fuel intake nozzles.

The problem with rotaries is that they are so misunderstood. ppl like to criticize them without actually thinking wat they are saying. Its actually a simpler set up than inline 4/6,v6/8 etc cos got less moving parts.

maybe also u can try using new plugs with a device like ecotek (which actually uses vacuum pump pressure to lean the mixture a bit) but this is a cheap fix and not recommend on high boost rotary engines.

btw wat ecu are u running?

FAM speed remmaped ECU...
air fuel ratio less than 9.8

i whack like a maniac sometimes :P in KL most of the time i do whack it... in Penang forget about it.... everywhere jam.

i'll probably either source for another ECU or AFC to tune down the fuel ratio.
another money to spend... damn.. !

sure one lah. but rather than wasting your expensive 10.5 plugs. i seriously think u should use 8 or 9 plugs can liao.10.5 very fierce. for mad applications.

if i come kl can u take me we go find fd chassis?

i also duno where got.... maybe ask joewe.. he has a 5 point half role cage....
not sure where he get it.... i think he mentioned before he got it from one of the shops at sunway.

unfortunately, i'm based in penang..home town in KL.... it's unlikely u're so lucky to find me in KL... maybe next year.... i might be full time in KL...

yes sir bro. will call u if i going penang then i belanja u some nice penang food.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom