MSD ingnition and Coil Blaster 2 on 4age 20v

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Guys...
Need some clarification here...
did some searching on MSD...and got interested in MSD ignition 6A (6AL have a rev limit controller, but this one runs with carburetor) and Coil Blaster 2...quite interesting what those thing can do...

but...at the same time found that some mentioned that 20v already got a good ignition setup...plus the blaster 2 resistance is almost the same with 4afe...which not so good, 4age coil can run better that blaster 2...

Please advice...thank you in advance...

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
bro,
i'm not sure about the coil, but i'm been using MSD6AL on my old 4AFE... found it very responsive. but u need the adapter 8910EIS in order to work with Toyota. i'm using the standard integrated coil.
now already change to BT and yet to re-wired the device. coz right now the engine having minor problem whereby sometime it just die especially during slow-stop driving (traffic jam).

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
I did some checking on MSD product previously and wrote to MSD tech support. Apperently there is a coil upgrade we can use as well. I tot 6AL is for Injection system as well? I got other worry that is over strong spark might reduce the plug lifespend as well.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
well i'm not sure about the plug... but the standard coil might not stand the increase voltage probably. coz when i'm using with 4AFE and the standard setup (integrated coil, side-gap plugs), the coil dies after 1 year. i'm not sure maybe it's already at it's end-time.

btw, anybody know the problem with my BT auto. example i do hard or long driving and then comes to a slow traffic, when i apply some braking sometime the rpm drops and just die. the car will still be moving so i normally change to N and re-start the car while still in motion.. and continue driving.

could it be ECU... but i've check with Fine-Tune(Sijangkang) a Toyota technician with the Toyota diagnostic tools, says there's no problem. all the sensors are showing a healthy readings and loads. the only abnormality is there's no 2nd O2 sensor at the center (should be after the cat converter). is this device necessary?

Last edited:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
well i'm not sure about the plug... but the standard coil might not stand the increase voltage probably. coz when i'm using with 4AFE and the standard setup (integrated coil, side-gap plugs), the coil dies after 1 year. i'm not sure maybe it's already at it's end-time.

btw, anybody know the problem with my BT auto. example i do hard or long driving and then comes to a slow traffic, when i apply some braking sometime the rpm drops and just die. the car will still be moving so i normally change to N and re-start the car while still in motion.. and continue driving.

could it be ECU... but i've check with Fine-Tune(Sijangkang) a Toyota technician with the Toyota diagnostic tools, says there's no problem. all the sensors are showing a healthy readings and loads. the only abnormality is there's no 2nd O2 sensor at the center (should be after the cat converter). is this device necessary?
that's why need a setup it up with thier coil, better cable plug and hotter plug...

have you clean your throttle body ? you car maybe choking...:proud:

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
FINE TUNE.... emmmm.....oh that shop....recommended lah, but you know la human....sometime do mistake...but he ok one...can say sifu lah...

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
choking... i'm not sure but the ISV showing around 46-51% at idle. just convert 5 month, mech confirm he clean the TB.

forgot to mention that this only happens if i use the a-cond. but not all the time. in same driving condition, sometime i feel there some power jerk and if i lift the pedal, i can see the rpm drops and then if i brake it will die. but if i off the a-cond... things slowly come back to normal.

so right now, i need to off and on my a-cond to avoid this, but during mid-day.. too hot.

another opinion i got is that BT does not have FICD to control the a-cond idle, if i use this will it solve my problem?

katopunk

Known Member
May 18, 2006
bro meg-omen,

may i know what do you mean by "i'm not sure but the ISV showing around 46-51% at idle"

it seems you are having the same problem like me. on air-cond, the engine idle will drop until 500rpm. my whole engine rattling. engine will die also if leave it like that.

yet, i have find any solutions to this problem. about your suggestion to use FICD to control the aircond idle. i've tried it also, yes. you can shift the whole idling rpm band up. if you get what i mean.... =.= which means your idling while aircond OFF that time will be around 1300-1500. when aircond ON that time, the rpm will be cun cun at about 850-1000. depend on how much you adjust the FICD valve.

i haven't try to open the ISCV and clean it. i've heard some members here suggest that cleaning the ISCV will solve the problem. cleaning the ISCV will be hard, have to open the air-box bracket which those nuts are hard to reach.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
well i'm not sure if it's ISV or ISCV... probably ISCV load during idle around 46% to 51%. i saw this on the diagnostic tool screen, the mech also said that it is okay and the engine condition is good. but still the problem happens.

i know about cleaning the TB and ISCV but this engine is only 5 months old. the convert mech confirm that he has done that... which is why i think he's reluctant to do it again after only 5 mth. btw, i'm using K&N drop in with standard air box and CAI direct from behind the front bumper.

anyway, what the interval you guys clean the TB? can piggyback or such help solve this? i'm doing research on E-Manage and MegaSquirt currently... can these help?

sorry for hijacking the thread.... just that due to this, i'm reluctant to install my MSD6AL. scared if other problem occured.

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
wahahah, wat u can do is pass me the MSD 6AL. Problem solve. hehehee

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Idling Speed Control Valve (ISCV) is located right below right hand side of the ITB. Cleaning the ITB but w/o cleaning the ISCV will not solve the idling problem. The engine will only breath thro ISCV when you let go the throttle. So if the ISCV is clog your engine will "chough" and stall whenever you let go the throttle.
46-51% duty cycle is only the signal sent by the ECU to the ISCV. Whether its operate or not is another issue.

If you run BT engine + ITB with SVT wiring and ECU, you might need to mod your ITB with another breathing path for your Aircon Idling Up valve otherwise you will have idling problem whenever you turn on the AC.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
well i'll get the TB and ISCV clean this weekend... hopefully it will solve the problem. it's the only thing left to do in this case. thanks to all for the opinions.

about the MSD, last time when using it with 4AFE... dynoed by RS Impressive to be at 115Whp. the car was also tested by our old ZTH member - EFN, he said the response to be like ST... but again that is just his opinion on the feel he got.

so i'm not sure MSD6AL on 4AGE BT... i will update once install...

thanks.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
N78,
pass the device to you.. cannot la bro. i have spend quite a lot on it. i saw your post on the Corolla-Racing.com about the same thing. i think better for you to look at something else, cause for my opinion the ROI is not the good.

why i chose this the last time is for fuel saving, and i'm sure i got around 30-40km extra with this device on 4AFE.

rather than u go for 'MSD - Ignition Amplifier', why don't u try to upgrade the coil only as the first step. u can get this at KSP Sunway.

myself, i will change the plug cable first to NGK Power and then only i fix in the MSD6AL.

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
meg_omen bro,
whahahaha, most of the times i don't really buy wat they said but im most welcome and open for comment. but take it or not, i have to judge myself. whahahahah

I did some read up about the role and function of each ignition devices. The coil, in layman terms to me its like a capacitor which store and discharge the amount of spark energy and the amp, needless to say its to amplified the spark voltage.

so if i upgrade the coil, the main benefit i will get is more regulated power discharge and the coil will always have sufficient spark to discharge. But without upgrade the msd 6AL along, i may run into issue that the coil doesnt receive enaugh supply as it draw stronger now. pls correct me if im wrong.

So i think the 6AL makes the biggest diff instead of the coil.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
well you're correct...
but for the 6AL and adapter... the cost is similar to installing e-manage... how do you judge that?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Who can DIY CAI & DIY HeatShield for me? I m driving a Satria w/ a SIMOTA open pod air filter.........pls offer me a price, this include the materials & ur labour charge........thanks!!

pls help, i m poor in DIYing thing, no matter wat i oso cant DIY, sure fail :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience