Mileage tampering by used car dealer.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
Anyone can guide me at how to detect or inspect this mileage tampering @ rollback on secondhand car other than checking the service book record?

Last edited:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Anyone can guide me at how to detect or inspect this mileage tampering @ rollback on secondhand car other than checking the service book record?
on analog odometer,the number wont allign properly.

if it does allign,then look at;
1.throttle pedal.higher mileage car have more wear on the gas pedal.with automatic car,look at the brake pedal.
2.brake disc,look for wear sign on the outer edge of the disc.this is not accurate as only very high mileage car will show significant wear.
3.driver seat.too much wear will signal heavy mileage car.
4.gear knob,steering,door handle.
6.undercarriage.yes it can be cleaned but it wont be 100%.

what spesific model are u looking at?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
proton waja car..
i think only a handful of waja has mileage of below 100k km.

waja's odometer is digital.i wont say its tamper proof but its hard.
easiest way is to swap the whole meter cluster.

look for any sign on the bolt of the timing belt cover,if there is a sign that it had been opened before the mileage must be above 80k km.Malaysian always change timing belt according to mileage.

dont forget to test drive the car if u intend to buy it.
waja is an old car and possible of lots wear n tear need to be replace esp the suspension part.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I would think seriously before buying a car from a (or any other) used car dealer. Their business are rather shady.
Just do a search in ZTH, and there are plenty of stories about used car dealer. The salesperson more often than not, are motivated of selling the car....based on the commission they will receive.

I dont mean to put you off, or bad mouthing of these dealers.

If I were you, I would buy a car, from direct deal with the owner.

or

Unless the salesman is giving a superrrr offer that you couldn't resist...

Anyway, there are plenty of Waja in Malaysia. Take your time to find a good one.........

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
I bought 2 car from used car dealer before. From this, i have some experience on how to buy a car from secondhand car.. It is definitely wont be easy and defend on ur luck. the reason im asking about this mileage tampering is because I saw a same car advertise twice with different mileage reading..I suspect the car dealer did rollback the mileage.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I bought 2 car from used car dealer before. From this, i have some experience on how to buy a car from secondhand car.. It is definitely wont be easy and defend on ur luck. the reason im asking about this mileage tampering is because I saw a same car advertise twice with different mileage reading..I suspect the car dealer did rollback the mileage.
If advertised same car registration with different mileage sure to have done some hanky panky already....:thefinger:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Best to test drive, a lot won't allow u to test drive. There are a few used car dealers did state their point in zth on why they won't allow test drive. But then, as a consumer. We would really like to see if the car is road worthy before buying but then again, a friend once told me, be humble and nice. Don't act all cocky and rich that u can afford the car.

U have to act pity like no money, then some dealers may pity u and be more frank with u on the car and help u replace the parts.

These is what a friend told me on his view. They can make the car run smooth, but down the road, problems will surfaced soon. So if u find a car that u like but got a few problems, just ask if they will fix it. Most will say will fix, also depends on how much u trust that fellow.

Mine only the engine mounting problem, he did get it fix for me.

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
waja digital odo can be tampered..2nd hand car broker said this to me..something like copy meter chip from low mileage car & then flash it to the other car & done..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
waja digital odo can be tampered..2nd hand car broker said this to me..something like copy meter chip from low mileage car & then flash it to the other car & done..
Electronic got electronic way......:thefinger:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
nothing is impossible in malaysia. like sami vellu said, if we cannot go to sun on daytime we still can go at night coz the sun is not hot at night..:adore::adore:
btw, its really hard to trust the mileage on 2nd hand car. sometime, it just too much low for the age of the car.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
yes its true, it could be done for rm50, if those analog ones can DIY, I did it before, reset all the counters to 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
nothing is impossible in malaysia. like sami vellu said, if we cannot go to sun on daytime we still can go at night coz the sun is not hot at night..:adore::adore:
btw, its really hard to trust the mileage on 2nd hand car. sometime, it just too much low for the age of the car.
I bought one 2nd hand car but direct from seller. 4 years old done only 40k km only own by doctor. I confirm with my friend who works next door to his clinic, he say he stay very near his clinic and for outstation to Penang (hometown) he always fly....hahhahhaa :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

yes its true, it could be done for rm50, if those analog ones can DIY, I did it before, reset all the counters to 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Cannot zero loh......at least some figures.....:biggrin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I bought one 2nd hand car but direct from seller. 4 years old done only 40k km only own by doctor. I confirm with my friend who works next door to his clinic, he say he stay very near his clinic and for outstation to Penang (hometown) he always fly....hahhahhaa :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Cannot zero loh......at least some figures.....:biggrin:
that time me & bro in law did it together as he wants all reset to 0

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I'm having failure on my AE 101 Speedometer. The KMH moves but gives me wrong reading. It goes max to 80 no matter what speed I drive.

The rest of the meters are working fine.

I'm in Klang.
I have once cheeked with a workshop in Pandamaran and they said all working fine. The meter is faulty. I have also tried changing the sensor but still does not work.

Is there anybody can help to repair this meter. Its difficult to find a replacement meter too.

Image of speedometer as below...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience