Local Grad Vs Oversea Grad

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Alright guys, i'm studying in monash university malaysia.. Was suppose to go over to aussie this year or next year at least, but due to using such a large sum of cash i was not very keen in going over therefore i'm staying back here.. I would not know if u consider the local monash university a local uni.. but i would since i'm finishing my course here.. if u are considering the cost i think its one of the most expensive as i need about 120K for my engineering..

And when we do direct comparison with my counterparts in Aussie, u actually see that they get alot more experince. Their lecturers approach are very much different from ours here.. and their lecturers are really of higher quality.. In the sense.. professors here or A/p are normally awarded for their research, but after going through their research.. i notice that it isn't very much compare to their aussie counterpart.. for instance the math's program Mathlab was co-written by one of the aussie lecturers so their pratical knowledge does help in their teaching..

So i believe its really much better at least in the sicence field to go overseas, we do not have the facility and the standard as compare to overseas

nakata86

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Dino@Casper said:
Alright guys, i'm studying in monash university malaysia.. Was suppose to go over to aussie this year or next year at least, but due to using such a large sum of cash i was not very keen in going over therefore i'm staying back here.. I would not know if u consider the local monash university a local uni.. but i would since i'm finishing my course here.. if u are considering the cost i think its one of the most expensive as i need about 120K for my engineering..

And when we do direct comparison with my counterparts in Aussie, u actually see that they get alot more experince. Their lecturers approach are very much different from ours here.. and their lecturers are really of higher quality.. In the sense.. professors here or A/p are normally awarded for their research, but after going through their research.. i notice that it isn't very much compare to their aussie counterpart.. for instance the math's program Mathlab was co-written by one of the aussie lecturers so their pratical knowledge does help in their teaching..

So i believe its really much better at least in the sicence field to go overseas, we do not have the facility and the standard as compare to overseas
well said. :_:

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
i second what's said above , experience in practical training of real world offered in overseas which can bring in process improvements to malaysia company/technology.

By no means I'm pointing out that the local grad is not good , heck they may be even better intellectually but it's just that Malaysia technology is not up to par compared to overseas. It will be different applying theory and in real world as more variables kick in than sheets of paper assumption so i think thats the biggest advantage of overseas student being exposed more to this kind of elements.

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
If give you another simple example.. alright for engineering with use CAD softwares..

For monash malaysia which is funded by sunway group.. so rich also can only afford Autocad 2002 which is actually freaking outdate.. everyone else is using something better.. like Solid Edge at least.. only recently have we upgradeded.. man.. Imagine a insitute so rich only just upgraded.. not to be bad.. i ask my friend in other unis.. what are they using... i wonder if what they are using are even legal.. cause the cost of the license is dem expensive..

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
yea nobody use autocad here anymore man , we use catia

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
FYI, alot of companies still using autocad......those company cant afford to buy the license like solid edge which is way more expensive than autocad. so, dun worry, those who only knows autocad will still survive. hehe........

i am more interested to know why u guys grad from overseas still want to come back to malaysia work? u guys already have a chance to go overseas study, might as well use that opportunity to work there also rite? how would u guys (overseas grad) feel when ur colleague is only grad from local uni and u guys earning the same? sorry for out of topic, but i really want to know cos i am experiencing this problem now.

Last edited:

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Sometimes more like cannot get job.. now a days they will always prefer if u have a PR before they hire u.. unless u are just dem good..

sooyeshun

Known Member
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
hahaha, for me its ok lar...
you want to work oversea is because of the salary only mar..
if you smart ....can earn more than u working oversea....
i mean maybe invest or anything liddat lar.
the tax there is damn high

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
desmond937 said:
i am more interested to know why u guys grad from overseas still want to come back to malaysia work? u guys already have a chance to go overseas study, might as well use that opportunity to work there also rite? how would u guys (overseas grad) feel when ur colleague is only grad from local uni and u guys earning the same? sorry for out of topic, but i really want to know cos i am experiencing this problem now.
no big deal who earns more, as long as it's me:_:

anyways, I love malaysia, I love the food, I love the loopholes in the bureaucratic system, I love the way apa apa pun boleh.

why should I go to some fancy western country, work like crap, risk being discriminated against, be treated like a resident alien, and the pay mad taxes?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
study and work oversea is two different things....

when u go study, u pump money into their country's economic...they surely welcome you 1st of all...

but for working, u might get a good job if ur qualification is really good. or u r in proffesional field.

i rather go oversea study n work in malaysia....at least, it is my country...i can enjoy watever foods i wan....:_:

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
do ppl earn more working overseas ? What i know is that, they seem to earn more because we convert their money to RM. And they have cheap cars. But their tax is high.

But when you go holiday in msia konfem rich la haha especially if u earn in pound.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
Dino : What you said may be true.Because you are talking about software engineering issit?
My fren involves in that field...and he said bout someting like this oso la...

But i dun think that it matters in my field so i do not see what the big fuss is about...well at least in my field...and i tried to point that to him.

About the pay that one is about to receive....i always hold on to the magic sentence that a respectabble figure thought me : If you are good, you do not need to find the money. The money will come looking for you.
Well, he is qualified to say that because he is really so darn good.......

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
boggysv said:
why should I go to some fancy western country, work like crap, risk being discriminated against, be treated like a resident alien, and the pay mad taxes?
Funny...all that sounds strangely familiar? And I haven't worked in some fancy western country.

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
I work in HK and sometimes in China, Tax rate in HK is lower than SG......but higher pay than SG...but in another hand, housing, food and transport are 5 times expensive than msia...But if yo u come as expatriate package, the housing will be included so you will get a good portion of money to save, unless you are really big spender...

I studied in Aussie but work overseas since very early days in my work life......

my next stop should be shanghai....i think can work in overseas when you are young is a good experience, it broaden my mind....

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
I work in HK and sometimes in China, Tax rate in HK is lower than SG......but higher pay than SG...but in another hand, housing, food and transport are 5 times expensive than msia...But if yo u come as expatriate package, the housing will be included so you will get a good portion of money to save, unless you are really big spender...

I studied in Aussie but work overseas since very early days in my work life......

my next stop should be shanghai....i think can work in overseas when you are young is a good experience, it broaden my view....

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I think this topic is running away in the wrong direction.

We are not comparing the local education system to that of other countries. That would be too broad a topic anyway. Unless it was specified which country. And the answer, if compared to most developed nations, would be that Malaysia's education system is shite.

The question was and is, whether local grads are better than overseas grads and vice versa. Or even, is a foreign degree necessarily better than a local one?

And the answer is, no. You can argue all you like about how overseas education is better but, for many grads, a couple of years (some not even a year long) overseas is not going to help that much unless you were going to be a good student anyway. (even locally). The most important thing is not WHERE but WHO. Assholes will still be assholes even if they went to England. Lazy dumb fucks will still be lazy dumb fucks, in England as they are in Malaysia. A clever person will still be a clever person wherever he goes. Only those who were decent students in the first place would benefit from going overseas and even that doesn't guarantee that they will be better than someone who graduated over here.

The fact of the matter is, although going overseas is a good experience and maybe potentially rewarding for someone, it depends on that someone himself. And a degree is just a paper, regardless of what is written on it (Unless you graduated from some super duper institution like MIT or Caltech or Oxford or Harvard or Cambridge etc etc. then that makes a difference because they pick the best of the best). Still depends on what you make of it.

Plus, everybody has been in the shithole which is the Malaysian education system. What I think really makes a difference is that going overseas forces most people to change their mindset whereas if they stay locally, they would probably not be bothered to change from the spoon-fed, robotic, exam oriented bullshit. But then, change and susceptibilty to change is quite random and subjective. Again we fall back on the subject of the person itself.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Not being rude, but this overseas vs local graduates discussion is kind of nonsense to me. It really depends on the person, because I have encountered students who are studying in famous overseas uni, but still couldn't find his feet. And the same goes to those in local uni. This debate is endless, unless you want to say how good you are compare to your colleagues.

However, I must say I believe companies will prefer employees who can speak different kinds of languages. That's a big advantage.

And, usually when people complain local grad can't compete with overseas grad, we must also consider whether he can master English well enough or not. Another example: It's like if I open mamak stall, and I hire a Chinese dude from China who couldn't speak Malay, and I hire an England boy who couldn't answer Chinese's calls.

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
zephyr3d said:
like what u said... secondary ed.

Lets compare higher educations... tertiary onwards.

I was made to think more and interect wit others ... same as u did. But, of course, i can't deny the fact that the culture exposure and technique definitely differ fr yours. But, if based the techniques, which u briefly mentioned... then i can say it is similiar. Perhaps itz the standard that they had to comply wit the UK uni in order to provide the course and cert endorsed by em.

anyhow, like what narx said.. itz the substance.
Which is why I never said one was better than the other. In the end, I benefited more as a person than as a student. Like you and so many other have said, it's basically the same in terms of teaching methods. I just value the experience of having lived abroad. There was something about being independant that made me take my studies more seriously than back here (not that I was all that studious... I still went out clubbing, etc 4 - 5 days a week and missed my fair share of lectures but I was much worse here).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys anyone lost their White Wira Sedan lately? i saw a white wira few days ago, from federal highway exiting to SS18, the car was parking over there for few days ago, yesterday night when i was on my way back, i saw that Wira got no sport rims and spoilers anymore. so i assume its been stolen. anyone who lost theirs can go there and have a look. plate number not sure.

thankz
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience