ISO and Noise

hilal

Known Member
Feb 27, 2006
www.friendster.com
basic photography - ISO and Noise

the next thing i learned about photography is on how to play with ISO settings. so, what is ISO? ISO is the light sensitivity of the camera. having higher ISO will make the image more sensitive to lights. or in other words, image will be brighter at higher ISO.

higher ISO helps to prevent image from getting blur. but how? with higher ISO, we can make use of higher shutter speed in order to produce a same level of brightness compare to lower ISO.

with lower ISO, image will be darker. so we need to lower the shutter speed to compensate the light exposure loss from lower ISO thus will make the image prone to be blur.

but keep in mind, with higher ISO, image will be noisy. so, what is the meaning of noise in photography? noise is where u can find green + red dots in your pics. noise are clearly visible especially when u take shots at night where u need higher ISO for higher exposure.

example shot with higher ISO [ISO 800, F/3.5, 1/30]:

example shot with lower ISO [ISO 200, F/3.5, 1/6]:

as u guys can see, a shot with higher ISO only needs 1/30 shutter speed to produce the same brightness as the lower ISO image which needs 1/6 shutter speed. and take note that, a shot with higher ISO shows a lot of noise compare to lower ISO which has less noise thus a cleaner image.

so when to use high or low ISO? we normally use higher ISO during low light condition or night shots or indoor shots, while we normally use lower ISO settings where there is sufficient lightings.

low ISO = darker image, less noise, blur, day use
high ISO = brighter image, more noise, sharp, night use

however, noise can be eliminated by using software. though it will somehow affect the image quality, rather than having red dots here and green dots there, it is better to have a clean image using any software such as neatimage and noiseware. as for me, i prefer noiseware as it is very easy to use. (just with one click!)

u can download it here!
http://www.imagenomic.com/downloadstep2.asp?product=nwcexp

Last edited:

HidSeller

500 RPM
Sep 30, 2004
old day we use lower ISO negative to shoot fire crack, star, nite street and bla bla, high iso normally use for indoor activity that not allow flash light or portrait (more noise in digital term) ....

But now in Digital software can solve all this problem .....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys! This is what I am thinking about. I am from SG and I go JB to shop, makan, repair car etc once in a while.

I went today and at a plate of rice that cost me RM6 and a can of coke RM2. Total RM8. If I take exchange rate into consideration, RM8 is acutally quite cheap.

I don't really know about salary in JB. but I just feel that spending RM8 on a meal is not exactly cheap unless you are earning at least RM4-5K a month?

Btw, this is just a shop along the road side, not...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience