Engine Kaboommmm... A question to answer...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
guys, refer to the following pics :-

b18cr-kaboom-01.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-02.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-03.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-04.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-05.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-06.jpg

the question is - what r the possibilities than can lead to this kind of damage?
please answer not less than 100 words... j/k

please exclude this answer :-
1.broken retainer (all retainer still in good condition)
2.over rev (the owner claimed that he drive like ah pek when this thing happen, sumore its still under running-in mode)
3.conrod bearing oso still in good condition.

Hehe.. no mechanic.. but I can hazard a few guesses.

1) Sucked in water, hydrolock, piston tried to compress water.. boom!
2) Detonation or possibly the plug ignited (short circuit?) when the piston is on it's way up on the compression stroke.

Others possible reasons.. well.. not too sure, since can't be overrev, and unless it's a turbo'ed b18cr, can rule out overboost as well. Looks like there was a lot of pressure needed for such a damage to happen.

That piston ring seems to be blown upwards which is strange.. extreme pressure from underneath the block? (or sump?) I can't figure out how that pressure could have been built up..

Cracking the cyclinder liner breaching into the water jacket.. and he says he drives like an apek? ROFL!

Last edited:
eh guys, can damages like these be repaired? or have to change engine block already?

valve clearance , piston hitting valve.....
possibility is over rev

shiroitenshi said:
Hehe.. no mechanic.. but I can hazard a few guesses.

1) Sucked in water, hydrolock, piston tried to compress water.. boom!
2) Detonation or possibly the plug ignited (short circuit?) when the piston is on it's way up on the compression stroke.

Others possible reasons.. well.. not too sure, since can't be overrev, and unless it's a turbo'ed b18cr, can rule out overboost as well. Looks like there was a lot of pressure needed for such a damage to happen.

That piston ring seems to be blown upwards which is strange.. extreme pressure from underneath the block? (or sump?) I can't figure out how that pressure could have been built up..

Cracking the cyclinder liner breaching into the water jacket.. and he says he drives like an apek? ROFL!

no 1. wrong answer...
no 2... its possible... but do u think it can cause such damage?

especko said:
eh guys, can damages like these be repaired? or have to change engine block already?

Can resleeve the block (Golden Eagle) I think.. though it's cheaper just to buy a new block.

Jun_EK9 said:
valve clearance , piston hitting valve.....
possibility is over rev

valve clearance shud be related to the cam overlap rite? but this engine not using adj campulley...
over rev oso not...

engine oil or radiator/water pump faulty? could be the possibilities? the color of the water also seems to be like "teh tarik" look.

hattech-v said:
no 1. wrong answer...
no 2... its possible... but do u think it can cause such damage?

Hmm.. why no. 1 is sure to be wrong? With the cylinder liner cracked, the water already mixed with water from the coolant.. so it it easy say for sure? Hydrolock can break rods, so why not break pistons?

As for no. 2... B18cr is a high compression engine, so the max pressure building up during the power stroke might just be enough.

It doesn't seem as if the valves hit the piston face (hardly any scratches... and unless he used non-stock piston and cams..

Still, a lot of other factors do make it seem like an interesting case..

What broke the valves? The piston have holes in the middle, and it doesn't seem to be caused by the valves.

Another reason is that something got into the combustion chamber.. but not likely to happened after driving for a few kms! The first start-up would have shown the problem immediately. Or was the car running ITBs/filterless?

Sucking in a small, hard material (metal/stone) would likely break one valve leaving the other valves intact, cause excess pressure in the combustion chamber, cause the holes (I don't think they're from the plug since they don't align with the plug loc.) and somehow crack the sides of the piston and the cylinder liner... but you'd be the one to know for sure.

Since this seems most plausible (at least to my non-mechanic mind),,, I think something got in, jammed itself on the valve seats, valve (the flat/convex part) returns to seat, sits improperly or bent or broke off, got hit by piston, valve part the broke of dances a while in the combustion and compression area, causing more damage.

Still it would mean loss of pressure, and it's hard to crack a cyclinder liner without pressure.. but the valve edges are quite sharp and powerful when they're bouncing around in the cylinder, so that might even be enough to crack the cylinder liner.. though I'm really just speculating here.

I'm stumped as well.. let me know what's the result.. I'm curious as well.

Last edited:
no 1 did happened 2 me a few years back...on my superbike! all 4 conrods broke & pistons cracked. had 2 replace the whole block itself as it wasn't economical 2 resleeve.

shiro, for the no.1, first thing is how the cylinder wall/liner got cracked before water can get in...

the hole is caused by the valve i think...

here another pics..

b18cr-kaboom-07.jpg

b18cr-kaboom-08.jpg

hattech-v said:
not sure u know him or not....

Mi,

your engine kaboom ka???what happen, missgear at 9000 rpm???

That is one possibility as the missshift can caused the conrod bearing to spun and overlap the other piece off the bearing, and then the piston will start slapping the valve and the cylinder wall.

Anyway,congratulation,now u can go 2 liter.

wahahahaha.. not mine laa... where got mine 1.8... i'm runnning 1.6 oni laaa....
bearing overlap oso possible aaa?

hattech,

Actually there is many possibility to these..

1. Can you see any dents on the valve pockets of the other pistons? even the slightest dent or line will tell alot.

2. U sure all conrod bearings are tip top condition? any of them spun or jam like rizal said?

3. is the engine running ITR pistons or P30 pistons? and is it overbored or std size?

4. What has been done to the engine before it blew and why it need running in? is been full overhaul, top overhaul or just bottom over hauled?

5. has the bottom end been lighten and knife edge?

Sorry for asking so much, just trying to understand more before i try to help. hehe..

mie, ur car is too fast people dun want to believe its only 1.6 ler.....ahahahhaaa......me either.....ahahahahaaa...

chris2000 said:
hattech,

Actually there is many possibility to these..

1. Can you see any dents on the valve pockets of the other pistons? even the slightest dent or line will tell alot.
- will check it n snap few pics...

2. U sure all conrod bearings are tip top condition? any of them spun or jam like rizal said?
- yes its in tip top condition when we open it.

3. is the engine running ITR pistons or P30 pistons? and is it overbored or std size?
- its running p73 itr piston

4. What has been done to the engine before it blew and why it need running in? is been full overhaul, top overhaul or just bottom over hauled?
- complete overhaul by change the piston rings, head gasket, timing belt, water pump etc..

5. has the bottom end been lighten and knife edge?
- nope, its standard... just the oil sump being moded a bit not sure what mod is that...

Sorry for asking so much, just trying to understand more before i try to help. hehe..

there we go...

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom