Driven: Ferrari California

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Won

500 RPM
IMG_3903.jpg

I recently had the good fortune of arranging a photoshoot and test drive review of a Ferrari California. The F149 California is the 'baby' in the Ferrari stable. Launched as a grand touring sports car in 2008, it officially debuted in Malaysia back in July 2009. The one thing that sets the California apart from its siblings is the ability of a folding hard-top. The F149 revivies the 'California' monicker last used on the 1950s Ferrari 250 GTO.

EXTERIOR:
In my eyes, the California has hints of a shark profile. As this is the first front-engined Ferrari V8, so the bonnet is long and sloped. The scoop and side fins help greatly to disguise the length; in fact, I had not noticed how long the California actually is, until I walked around it several times. One might bemoan that the Cali does not have the typical visual drama, but the truth is the California is meant to be a softer, milder, and less hardcore Ferrari. One thing you WILL notice on the rear are those stacked exhaust tips. They're very different, and gives the Cali the sort of presence it really needs. These are designed that way supposedly to make more space for underbody airflow management.

IMG_3920_1.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

Now for the party piece... that metal folding hard top. Official numbers states that the Cali requires 14secs to fold the down or up. Here's a quick video, to see how the folding hard top mechanism works:

Ferrari California drops top - YouTube

INTERIOR:
For what the California loses in exterior appeal, it makes up in the interior department. The cabin is elegant, and luxurious and ergonomically friendly. Typical of modern Ferraris, the engine start button sits big and red on the steering wheel; right behind that, aluminium paddles (that has a gorgeous tinkle everytime you accidentally hit it). Dashboard is also typical Ferrari: huge (traditional analogue) rev meter in the meter, speedo on the right and an LCD display on the left. One interesting feature of the California is it's 2+2 seating configuration. Whilst the driver and passenger in front will have ample space, the folks in the rear will suffer from the relatively cramped space left available. In fact, for the passengers in the rear to squeeze in comfortably, it would be best to first go topless.

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

ENGINE:
A number of firsts for a production Ferrari; first front-engined V8, mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, and a direct petrol injection system. "Direct petrol injection, eh?" you might be thinking; well... this is still a Ferrari, so it will never be as economical as you would like it to be. Power comes from a 4.3 litre V8 which produces 460hp @ 7750rpm whilst maximum torque is rated at 485Nm @ 5000rpm, and this helps the California dispatch the century sprint in under 4secs. Top speed is rated at 310km/h.

Ferrari California short rev vid - YouTube

IMG_3957.jpg

VERDICT:
I was able to drive the California from Cyberjaya via MEX towards Federal Highway, and then back to Cyberjaya. Unfortunately, it was raining, so I held back whilst driving this. That said, the California is pin-point precise, and turn-in is immediate. The dual-clutch transmission is also seamless smooth, which does remove the drama assosiated with hard shifting; in turn, it is less brutal. There isn't a lot of feedback from the steering wheel as the Ferrari is able to smother most surface irregularities. The ceramic brakes as usual, needs some getting used to; they are very different from non-ceramics. Stamp on them hard and they respond very well, especially when they start to heat up.

The powerplant in the F149 does not have the aural roar as the F430 does. It is loud, it just doesn't seem to have the different 'degrees' of loudness a 430 would have. Only a theory; but I think the front-engine configuration doesn't have to sort of resonate a rear-engine would have.

All in, the California does exactly what it is meant to do - a grand tourer, fit for everyday use... which is exactly what Mr. M has been doing with his California ;)

Ferrari California test drive - YouTube

SPECIFICATION:
4.3 litre V8, 7-spd DCT
Max power: 460hp @ 7750rpm
Max torque: 485Nm @ 5000rpm
0-100km/h: <4secs
Top speed: 310km/h

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

For more pics and videos, please visit me here.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,566
Last edited:
Yessir; the Cali is definitely a beautiful car. I'm not sure if it is as much a head-turned as a 430/458 is, but I can definitely tell you that it is a perfect cruising machine. You don't have to worry too much about clearance, and pot-holes, loud enough, pretty quick when you bury the throttle...

Driving topless is a definite plus ;)

Yessir; the Cali is definitely a beautiful car. I'm not sure if it is as much a head-turned as a 430/458 is, but I can definitely tell you that it is a perfect cruising machine. You don't have to worry too much about clearance, and pot-holes, loud enough, pretty quick when you bury the throttle...

Driving topless is a definite plus ;)

ur car ah bro??plate number 828?same number with camaro?:burnout:

Are the foldable hardtop remotely controled? Don't see anyone inside the car. I remember seeing it a couple of years back at Bangsar. It still stick out like a sore thumb. So I guess every Ferrari attracts attention. I always like to wind down my windows slightly if I spot one. Just love the sound.

The folding hardtop cannot be remotely triggered. The button has to be fully depressed until the mechanism has completed its task, otherwise it will be left hanging halfway! My girlfriend is actually inside the car, but she's quite small, and the camera is angled so that she isn't very clear in the video!

nicely done r3k4hsttub, the California does prove to be more than a beginner's Ferrari

Thanks folks. The Cali really is a very accomplished daily driver; and at the end of the day, still a Ferrari(!).

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom