Car Cover & Hot Sun

ahyap

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
Guys,

This is a horrible story and I am sharing it so that it does not happen to you guys........Don't repeat my mistake!!

It all started with the fuel price hike 1 half months back... I decided to limit the use of my Tezza to a weekend car......since it would be parked in my house porch from monday till friday, i bought a car cover to keep it under wraps....to protect it from the sun....

Last sunday... when i removed the car cover before i can attend the first Altezza Club TT, I was greeted with a sight which has scarred me for life.... My precious ride was covered in patches of grey :banghead:(same colour as my car cover)......My attempts to polish the patches away was futile...... :banghead:

Immediately brought it to an auto detailer (after informing Vijay that i would not be able to make it of course...). Unfortunately, there was nothing the auto detailer could do because the stain has eaten away into the base paint.... According to the auto detailer.... the top layer of the car cover has eaten into the paint due to prolonged exposure to the sun (it gets very hot in the afternoon)... plus the hot air trapped by the car cover makes accelerated the fusion of the plastic to the paint... on certain circumstances..... :banghead: paint would bubble if it is too hot... (luckily mine has yet to bubble)....

Sent it to a workshop for spray painting yesterday and the damage was lost a couple of hundred bucks:banghead: *sigh*... a price to pay for caring too much for my ride....

I didn't feel like going to the TT and have such a horrible sight captured on camera by fellow bros..... it would haunt me for life man!!:biggrin:

So... that's the story from me....the morale of the story (and i quote the auto detailer)... "Car cover is not suitable for malaysian weather!! Don't ever attempt to use car cover and expose it to the sun!"

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Ahyap...
Soory to hear what happen to your ride. We missed u at the TT....:bawling: Anyway after spraying ur ride should be like brand new.
I will see you at the mthly TT session coming soon....

Bl@cK-TeZZ@

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2006
Bro, it's not exactly true that car covers are 'not' suitable for malaysian weather. I'm using cars cover all this while when i'm away and my car is parked under the sun. So far no problem at all with my car paint.

I do recommend if u want to use car covers, get those that has a layer of cotton/padding inside it. With that, it has ventilation and prevents it from sticking to ur car paint. Price is around RM100 and up depending on size of cover.

ahyap

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
Ahyap...
Soory to hear what happen to your ride. We missed u at the TT....:bawling: Anyway after spraying ur ride should be like brand new.
I will see you at the mthly TT session coming soon....
Bro.... no money to spray whole car ler..... sprayed sections of it only ler.....

ahyap

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
Bro, it's not exactly true that car covers are 'not' suitable for malaysian weather. I'm using cars cover all this while when i'm away and my car is parked under the sun. So far no problem at all with my car paint.

I do recommend if u want to use car covers, get those that has a layer of cotton/padding inside it. With that, it has ventilation and prevents it from sticking to ur car paint. Price is around RM100 and up depending on size of cover.
alrite bro... thanks for the tips... i guess i can keep my ride away from the sun AGAIN.... hehehe... but u notice any bubbling of paint??? apparently the hot air trapped by car covers would make bubbling of paint...(that's according to my auto detailer......):confused:

Also, with the padding (thus the ventilation)..... wouldn't water seep in when it rains?? then would result in watermarks / stains no??

coriolis

Known Member
Jul 9, 2008
Ouch.. my sympathies for you bro.

Bl@cK-TeZZ@

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2006
No bubbling,water marks or stain on the paint. So far so good after 4 years using the car cover. Anyway, sorry to hear bout ur car paint. I know how it feels.

yellowHat

Known Member
Jan 19, 2007
sorry to hear that.if that thing not happened,surely got 13 altezzas in putrajaya that day.:driver:

ahyap

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
No bubbling,water marks or stain on the paint. So far so good after 4 years using the car cover. Anyway, sorry to hear bout ur car paint. I know how it feels.
Thanks for the head up man... would have to run around hardware stores over the weekend to find the perfect fit....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Be it iPhone or ‘Droid users, one thing is for certain; we love playing with apps that keep us well entertained and looking to out-score ourselves or the next person, be it friend or foe and it’s usually done in the privacy of your hand-held device. This time around, things are a little larger to be placing things in your hand, especially a large flat-screen TV that is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience