aerodynamic.......

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Known Member
just put a GT wings into my car........but when at high speed, the car like not stable :( .

Is there any place in klang valley that can test and do adjustment on it???? :rolleyes:

hope you guys can help me out??????

thx :D

wat car .. i think fitting a wing is not giving performance .. done suspension? .. wider tyres? how lowered is your car?

as a automotive student my advice is that not all cars are suitable for GT wing or any kind of spoiler... some might create a down force drag at high speed.. that you would want... and some might create a upwards force creating a lift which would be dangerous at high speed... this is due to the aerodynamic design on the car.. and by adding a wing might and might not help..i'm not saying it is bad... but some would create unnecesarry downforce thus increasing feul consumsion or lack of stability on high speed...due to lift...
pls dun flame me those who has GT wing or spoiler....

my opinion
GT wing cant really feel much on street use....
many of us put gt wing look nice only

give u a little bit better for downforce only

car not stable....most prob is your car

GT wing does help quite a lot... provided its fitted properly.

The angle of attack of the GT-wing is the most important.

Unfortunately... wind tunnels aren't easily attainable for you to test the effectiveness of your wing.

The only way to do it would be to calculate it yourself. But the calculations are too complicated... thus the need to use super computers, which also aren't easily attainable. And even if u do happen to have, you'll need lotsa time, effort and skill... with a mechanical engineering background, and the knowledge in using computational fluid dynamics... i suppose your results could pop out as to whether you wing is useful or not.

Hey... if it were that easy, all of us would be working for the F1 team! HAhaha...

Anywayz... to cut long story short... I guess most of us go for the 'looks' only... if you really want downforce... purchase ORIGINAL aftermarket products which have already been proven and tested thru years and years of research.

Go to one of the Sunday Track Days at Sepang. Turns 5, 6, 12 and 13 are good to test and see it if works or not.

MK84 : in the turn 5,6,12,13

how to make sure the GT-WING works well?

if your rear sticks to the corners then you know the GT wing works.

if not...then tau tau sudah la... :P

gt wing only works when u r traveling more than 160kmh....below that it'll just create unessecessary drag and wind swirl....which are not good....higher fuel consumption and unstable high speed will be the results....i think the most cavemen test u can do is get 20 15cm strips and tape them to ur wing...and get ur fren to record the movement of the paper strips...check on any irregularities....too shaky means no good...

For high speed straightway cruise...i think the design of skirt is more important...

JMO B)

For high speed cruise you don't need a GT wing.

What you don't want is lift. Spoilers and speed flaps and just some of the aero aids that's standard on some cars that does the job. They prevent lift by disrupting the otherwise smooth airflow.

Now wings, canards, splitters, diffusers and vortex generatos are designed to generate or aid lift, except downwards. They do their job mostly when cornerning. Not during cruising.

aiyah
so complicated

just drive only lah
whatever wing u got..use it
hehehehe

personally, i feel that in terms of aerodynamics, what i'll do first is to reduce drag as much as possible, choose good designs to streamline the car, to create ground effects using diffusers, flat under carriage panels, etc etc..
if we can streamline the fluid flow ard the car, it'll really benefit/complement the addition of downforce wings..turbulent flow will just render the wing useless i'm afraid..

not to belittle anyone, but i feel that for production cars, especially on not-so powerful cars, having a so-called 'proven' wing won't really help to increase performance due to the increased traction... my basis is, i believe there are more tractive capabilities from the tires/suspension that we can't have not harness from.. therefore if indeed we gain more traction from the wings, the drag would be too costly then...

however if the tractive capabilities can be extracted from a really good suspension/tire setup, we would have benefited from the extra traction without sacrificing top speed...

having said that, if indeed having a wing will increase traction, would the car be able to overcome the drag to accelerate to the speed required to generate the downforce needed for a certain corner? if we can't reach that kind of speed, then wouldnt it cancel out whatever advantage?

just sth to ponder over...
i welcome any PM for discussion on aerodynamics coz i'm learning more as i go along...
:)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom