4k salary can buy what car?

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
I drive a first batch year 1995 satria 1.6L manual SOHC, EFI. The car's worth today? Consider it ZERO. It's a fun car and although I don't get turbo/vtec/supercharger kinda feel, I'm still happy with it's performance. I run my car on 14" stock rims with Falken ST115 (185/60/R14). The tyres cost me RM150 per piece. I added front 4-point tower bar, rear 3-point tower bar(in boot) and rear upper bar. This car came stock with thick (don't know how many mm diameter) front anti sway bar and not-so-thick rear anti-sway bar. I've changed my air filter to K&N open pod and my engine runs on Q8 5W40 fully synthetic (or at least I think it's fully synthetic) oil topped up with LubeGard's engine protectant ( International Lubricants, Inc. > Engine Products ). The rest of the car is totally stock standard. Quite a bit of saving, I'd say. hahahaha poor people drive cheap car. hehe
this one is wanna main keta but budget...hahaha...like me alsola..poor student no money play car...even rim steel 13 inch..ekeke

boost_defi

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Kajang
i think it's not practical nowadays to drive a supercars with 4k salary...cost of living very high..toll everywhere..car maintainance...insurance...
n once u hv supercar, sure "rembat kaw2" sometimes, then u can c the fuel meter goes down...petrol also going to increase..
like me drives stock gti with nearly 600 installment..petrol n toll almost 500 permnth...crdt card installment nearly 1k permnth...house rental...meal...too many things have 2 think...luckily i hv an understanding wife who can consider...
so dont think the 4k amount is big enough...
unless u dont hv any expenses - only car installment -
but, till when?? within ur car loan period u dont want to get married?? dont want to buy a house??

just my 0.2 cents..

cheers..

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
hmmm...
mind i say something?

if you think you can, you can!-
i think its depends on individual, with 4k of salary without commitment and stuff. ofcause you've more then enough to own an S15. since young, why not to own a sport car?
if you think money wouldn't be issue, then go ahead! i like to see another S15 on the road too.
just to enjoy the time while owning it and not really tend to get it for life and of cause life goes on from day to day.

if you think you need to have some preparation-
When troubles come, that the best part. repairing, maintaining, insurance, roadtax or upgrading or such. no money. what to do? either sale thing or find more money loh. just dont trouble yourself or anyone else its enough.
if you dont tend to give yourself a hard time, prepare for it before you decide and i'm sure there's something can come out nice and easy.

Final-
for dream chaser mah go ahead loh, for stability's mah plan nicely and deep consideration. just like the movie, die hard or the italian job.

eventually this tread has given lots of information and option to decide what you want and what you need to consider.
so take your sweet time to consider and plan for it and let us know what's your wise choice.

and hey guys, i'm just like to know the result as to solve my curiosity. no war and peace. hehe

Cheers!

over

Known Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ampang
my opinion..... if salary 4k u have to consider monthly expenditure...ie, makan n minum, phone bill, sewa rumah (if not staying in parents house), other bills, and most important PETROL... now minus those if u still can fork out say rm1.2k~1.5K a month for a 130k car it's ok.... but will u have any savings??? in case of any emergency whenever u wanna use cash do u have any savings?? are u married? have kids? everything must be put into consideration.... anyways, a car is a liability... why not invest some money first let it grow....then use that investment money to buy ur car.... just my 2cent.... btw i'm talking out of experience my current salary 5k...using bmw e46 bought aroung 138k monthly 1.5k.... at first ohklah.... sylo...hehehe but then comes the maintenance.....fuel consumptions..... then my other expenditures, bills, i have a wife...now a baby is coming..... to tell u the truth pening kepala oooo....nk rolling duit...can...but savings very little lah.... if u are single, have a good financial management(not like me...hehehe) ok...indulge ur self....u work like hell u deserved it rite??... but don't let it be a burden to you n ur bank account.....

boost_defi

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Kajang
but if u're married, then ur salary increase to 4k, ur wife's salary also 4k, then go ahead la...if u'r really want to buy, nothing can stop u..

hehee...just my single cent..

Cheers..

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
um...I thought one's salary is a rather private figure? What's the deal with people posting them on an internet forum?

Asking about the running cost of a car is fine, but no-one needs to know your income.

OMG LOOK AT ME!! I'm a young professional making meelions a year!! Everyone compare your lives to mine and go cry!

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
If he is a mommy's boy then ok lor. Eat, stay, electricity, water, and etc all paid by parents. If a fully independent adult who give money to parents, RM4k just enough to survive in KL. Drive a Vios can consider luxury. Sports car? Can. But need to sacrifice most things in the life and will become financially unstable, especially when the car need to do check up and need to use credit card to pay the bills. Once fall into the hole, hard to climb out. End up with only screwing up his life and nice car become like junk car. A lot of cases happen around me. Don't say sports car, Civic also die. Just hope don't complaint against the petrol price. No one deserves for being subsidized for their own luxury urge.

Vtec72

Feb 11, 2007
angkat new civic 2.0 laaa bro .. after 10% deposit .. monthly about RM13XX only ....

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
um...I thought one's salary is a rather private figure? What's the deal with people posting them on an internet forum?

Asking about the running cost of a car is fine, but no-one needs to know your income.

OMG LOOK AT ME!! I'm a young professional making meelions a year!! Everyone compare your lives to mine and go cry!
wats wrong given ppl a guideline of wat he/she earns,tat is up 2 dem, not U!!!!!.... he/she is jst asking 4 opinion on wat sud b d most ideal car wit a salary of more or less 4K..... will b different if he/she say they can afford 2 pay4K p/m.... :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
lol. Maybe I should start another thread with my earnings, portfolio, and bank balance and ask if I can afford to buy a "sports car".

Stating what he may be able to fork out each month, is totally different to how much he is able to earn, in the sense that it's a more sublime approach without forcing everyone to be aware of your money making capabilities. Even that isnt really necessary for this discussion.

Asking about the running cost of a car would give him more than enough information to judge if he would be comfortable with the purchase. If he cannot figure out financing and running costs, well, sorry to say, but the 4k salary sounds pretty questionable. Time to go back to school for some basic math and ethic classes, eh?

Too many variables in the equation, and only he himself knows the answer to. His usage? driving conditions? savings? maximum loan? mortgage? lifestyle? family? His income is pretty much useless without all these other information.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Got any kang tao or lubang, let me know ar? :itsme: :listen: Wanna upgrade to new GTR but no money yet :rolleyes:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I no need money when I buy things. I just walk into a shop, take what I want, point a gun at the cashier and show `em all the C4 explosives strapped to my body and then just walk out.
hahahahaha

Gambar666

Aug 31, 2005
Ampang
First up thanks to all the bros who have been a big help with their knowledge and experience. I've finally decided to save a lil bit more before i buy that dream car of mine and stick with my current ride.

Second apologies to boggysv, didnt mean to show off or anything.Was just trying to gain some free experience from other ZTH members :adore:
Its probably better to just ask the running cost of the car, but what i was aiming for is how other members fared when they were earning the same amount.Could they make it work, was it hard, etc....
Thought it was safe to post it in an internet forum since nobody knows my real identity (and its really not that much compared to other members here).Anyway...Sorry boggysv!

If anybody else is interested ive done some calculations and below are cars that you can expect to fork out about 1K a month including maintenance costs:-

All calculations are based on 20K downpayment and roughly 2.38-2.4% interest rate

City Vtec/Vios (They cost roughly the same)
Monthly Payment 753.25
Monthly maintenance* 300.00
Total 1053.25

Swift
Monthly Payment 665
Monthly Maintenance* 350
Total 1015

Sentra (1.6 Auto, Lowest end)
Monthly Payment 790
Monthly Maintenance* 350
Total 1140

*Maintenance includes how much you would need to set aside for road tax, insurance, tyres, & regular servicing of the car.

I got the estimated servicing costs from dealers or owners of the cars.Tyres are changed on a 2 year basis.

Hope this helps!

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
I've read thru this whole thread and there were some comments on getting older sports cars i.e. MR2, 180sx bla bla....

Yes the prices of those cars are pretty low now like around 50k below...BUT, who the hell is going to finance you a loan for it? banks are relunctant to finance cars below year 1996 and credit institutes wont even give you a credit loan because its a sports car, not a normal family orientated one. unless u have 50k cash in hand then u can even consider these options.

My 2 cents on this matter is - chase your dream, let your dreams be a prime motivator, nothing beats people with passion. but of course, work within your means and consider all other factors. But don't be scared to do something different, we only have one shot, live it to the fullest and you will be most happy. When you are grey and balding with a beer gut, there is no use to drive a sportscar anymore anyway.

O

oldhag

My 2 cents on this matter is - chase your dream, let your dreams be a prime motivator, nothing beats people with passion. but of course, work within your means and consider all other factors. But don't be scared to do something different, we only have one shot, live it to the fullest and you will be most happy. When you are grey and balding with a beer gut, there is no use to drive a sportscar anymore anyway.
very well said indeed mokomoko. that's what i always think, many ppl go against owning a sportscar idea due to the cost, maintenance, etc. etc, but hey, if u r always dreaming of owning a car like this, own it, drive it, floor it...u won't hv any regrets when you're old. rather than wait till u can comfortably own one, n by that time, u value ur life so much that u'll only buy super safe cars rather than getting crazy with some funky sportcars.

so who gives a damn when others think you're stupid or no brainer or arrogant or whatever, u r chasing your dream, not theirs

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does any one knows that if two identical cars having same features are taken.Only there spark plug gaps are changed. So which one will perform well. The one with larger or smaller gap?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience