True cost of maintaining a sports car? GTR, Z, Merc SLK

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
New NSX using hybrid system also. Even the new McLaren P1 and LaFerrari also went hybrid.
Actually, from what I see, there are 2 different type of hybrid cars. 1 is the standard hybrid engineered to save petrol and fuel like the common Prius, Insight and etc. The other type of hybrid would be more oriented towards performance like the ones mentioned earlier. Not to forget, hybrid generates a lot of torque at very low RPM and it can also deliver different amount of torque to different wheels during cornering. New NSX has this feature. But the hybrid parts and battery will definitely increase the weight of the car, so that is one of the disadvantage of going hybrid.

2JZ-GTE is good but it is 20 years old already. Besides, lately most manufacturers have begun to obsolete straight 6 engines from their lineup and most of them prefer V engine for performance cars. So, new Supra would probably be going V6 or V8 maybe..
Oh, didn't know that NSX is using hybrid tech as well. Thanks for the heads up. V6 is gonna be so costly to maintain.

Well, I know 2 new powerful engine from Toyota. 1LR-GUE from LFA and 2UR-GSE from IS-F.
NA V10 4.8 litre around 560hp is powerful.
These 2 I got nothing to say :rofl: IS-F is a monster indeed.

Btw, If new Supra gonna be this look will be better...too bad is not :bawling:
Is just a Toyota Supra Inspired GT-86.

GRMN SPORTS FR Concept PLATINUM - YouTube

New Supra looks seems gonna be like this...don't like the Stingray look.

So maintaining a new Supra is gonna be whole lot of expensive than current one.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Oh, didn't know that NSX is using hybrid tech as well. Thanks for the heads up. V6 is gonna be so costly to maintain.

Do you know about the Lexus LF-LC concept? They could probably use that design for the Supra. And they might make a Lexus alternative to the new Supra like how Honda has been rebadging NSX as Acura in certain countries or Toyota Soarer as Lexus SC.

Anyway, about maintenance, it is the same case for Nissan too. Maintaining R35 is obviously more expensive than R34. Like what you said in another thread, with great power comes great fuel consumption. Well, so are the maintenance costs too. Right? :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Do you know about the Lexus LF-LC concept? They could probably use that design for the Supra. And they might make a Lexus alternative to the new Supra like how Honda has been rebadging NSX as Acura in certain countries or Toyota Soarer as Lexus SC.

Anyway, about maintenance, it is the same case for Nissan too. Maintaining R35 is obviously more expensive than R34. Like what you said in another thread, with great power comes great fuel consumption. Well, so are the maintenance costs too. Right? :biggrin:
:rofl: Indeed....because more electronic stuffs in modern cars if compare to Supra or R34.
Besides petrol which is definitely the case, maintenance are more electronic parts for sure as well.

Design wise I still prefer the old Supra. LF-LC ya hope is better than LFA though if it is gonna be
a successor for Supra. Let's wait and see :smile:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
:rofl: Indeed....because more electronic stuffs in modern cars if compare to Supra or R34.
Besides petrol which is definitely the case, maintenance are more electronic parts for sure as well.

Design wise I still prefer the old Supra. LF-LC ya hope is better than LFA though if it is gonna be
a successor for Supra. Let's wait and see :smile:
To me, electronic equipment do help a lot in making a car safer, faster and easier to control. However, as we all know, electronic stuffs like wiring, circuit boards, chips and all those things are prone to heat and extreme temperatures. Looking at our hot Malaysian climate and weather, I begin to question how long can all these electronics last if the car is always being parked under our scorching sun. Like now, many of us would dare to buy a 20 year old BNR32, Supra MK IV or FD3S because there are not that many vulnerable electronic stuffs inside them. But how about the future? I won't take the risk of buying a 20 year old R35 for example. Who knows if there are any broken or malfunctioning circuit boards inside the car or not. Since these new cars are so computerized, I don't want to take the risk in case any of these systems malfunctions when I'm driving halfway.

If LF-LC is better and faster than LFA, then the LFA owners will be so frustrated, lol. Like how Lamborghini Aventador is faster and looks better than the limited edition Reventon. :rofl:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, Toyota is in fact focusing more on market demand for a comfortable and good FC kind of ride.
That's what majority consumers are looking for.

Would be great if they would split 2 categories like before. Family and Performance car for both
markets. Well guess like u said things change, rules and also cost of making one is all different now.
Ya man.
Too bad all Toyota wants to do now is aiming mass market.

This looked smashing!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I love the Toyota Supra Inspired GT-86. At least have some looks of the previous Supra. Can transplant a 2JZ inside and revive the Supra
with this new look :biggrin:

Toyota Supra Conversion :rofl:

JZA86 :rofl:

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

To me, electronic equipment do help a lot in making a car safer, faster and easier to control. However, as we all know, electronic stuffs like wiring, circuit boards, chips and all those things are prone to heat and extreme temperatures. Looking at our hot Malaysian climate and weather, I begin to question how long can all these electronics last if the car is always being parked under our scorching sun. Like now, many of us would dare to buy a 20 year old BNR32, Supra MK IV or FD3S because there are not that many vulnerable electronic stuffs inside them. But how about the future? I won't take the risk of buying a 20 year old R35 for example. Who knows if there are any broken or malfunctioning circuit boards inside the car or not. Since these new cars are so computerized, I don't want to take the risk in case any of these systems malfunctions when I'm driving halfway.

If LF-LC is better and faster than LFA, then the LFA owners will be so frustrated, lol. Like how Lamborghini Aventador is faster and looks better than the limited edition Reventon. :rofl:
Haha! All have their own uniqueness and characteristics ma :biggrin:

Ya, that is why old cars are easier to troubleshoot. New cars, like u said 20years old GT-R. Sorry man.
Really dare not buy. Like I dare to buy a Honda CR-X 20 years old than a CR-Z 20 years old later.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I love the Toyota Supra Inspired GT-86. At least have some looks of the previous Supra. Can transplant a 2JZ inside and revive the Supra
with this new look :biggrin:

Toyota Supra Conversion :rofl:

JZA86 :rofl:

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Haha! All have their own uniqueness and characteristics ma :biggrin:

Ya, that is why old cars are easier to troubleshoot. New cars, like u said 20years old GT-R. Sorry man.
Really dare not buy. Like I dare to buy a Honda CR-X 20 years old than a CR-Z 20 years old later.
Next time in future we won't be seeing much cars that were more than 20 years old. Some more nowadays most cars also come with automatic transmission. Not as reliable as manual. CVT and double clutch even worst. Got any problem, the repair cost will be sky high.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hahahaha... u asswipe! got me there... i dont own awesome cars... anyway.. i'll give my view about this in a short while... now abit tied down...
To a lot of people, your certain bright orange juggernaut would be considered an awesome car. And that brown turd too... I consider that awesome to the max

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Ok.. finally, abit of time.

Yes - old cars are easier to maintain because they have lesser electronic parts but issues with it are some times harder to detect. Why? coz in contrast to newer cars, one plugin session with the OBD2 tools and viola - what faults, what error and which part is faulty all comes out in a list and as u stare at those list your leg shakes as u know it's gonna cost u that leg.

Both has it pros and cons. Older cars parts are more scarce unless u have some classic that u can go online and get it from ebay, else u r screwed. However, this is Malaysia. Anything boleh - u can either fabricate those parts, or retrofit through some sort of modifications. That in turn - will cost u time and time equates to money. Even retrofitting costs more too - dont forget that.

As for newer cars - yes, it's simple, anything feels 'strange' just go to your trusted workshop and cucuk the obd2 tool in and diagnose. Hell, in fact u can do that too if you have the tool and d software. But of course, parts will be a bit more expensive. The con is - there will be shit loads of electrical sensors all over the car... i mean.. SHIT FUCKING LOADS of it. Meaning - more parts to replace, more problems - more cost. Some of these parts are very much available in the market - even in chop shops. So if u r lucky, it wont cost much. IF not - well, u have to pay what u have to pay but at least u save up in terms of time to source for old car parts that u know is scarce.

To maintain continental cars is not that expensive nowadays - hence u see lots of BMWs and Audis on the road, i mean the older ones such as E30s - E46s. Back in the days the servicing of these vehicles were dominated by the direct dealers themselves. This was due to lack of knowledge in terms of troubleshooting these rides and also high cost in setting up a workshop catered for these rides (the computer tools were kinda expensive back then). Now, more and more people knows how to fix them as the older generations who used to work for these bigger companies has branched out to start their own workshops and the tools for diagnostics has decreased significantly.

As for older cars - well ok, let's split it into 2 categories: Stock and modded.

I had a Kia Rio. It's stock. Mind you, the parts are not cheap. It's already a 8-9 year old car and hell, the suspension arms and bushing kits costs as much as my 5 series. Who says it's cheap to maintain an old car? but radiator and etc yes, from region of thousands it's actually in hundreds but how often do u change radiators? most of the time the essentially worn parts are suspension parts and what not. Oil - well, it's cheaper least to say but parts are abundance in chop shop....

Modded - also got 2 categories. 1 - car with same model / make engine but modded. This is easy and direct. Provided that u r the one that modified it in the first place. Well, u know it inside out and u know its characteristics. I pray to god that u know your mech is honest and skillful, else u'll be facing headaces. Also, u better be sure that the parts u buy are not some china fabricated fake parts else u r fucked too. Original - OEM or aftermarket branded parts aint cheap too but compared to continental car aftermarket parts, it's still considered as cheaper by at least 30%? (rough ball park figure).

Modded car - category 2 - same car, different retrofitted engine or suspension or any other parts : aka rojak cars (no puns intended but that's what they call it on the street, it's by no means any slower or lower in value as some of these rojak cars are rocket fast!). the most headache. It's worse if u are not the original owner who started the rojak process. Once something spoils - u dont even know what to order, whether it's the original car part, or some other brand. If it's some other brand - what brand ah? shit.. u dont know.. then u waste time.. wait for mechanic to take the part out.. once taken out.. shit ... no stock... find whole world.. become a beggar.. bang tolong.. mana ada? cari... once found.. they see yr desperate face.. open golden mountain price.. u bang balls... have to pay anyways coz yr car has been sangkut-ed in the workshop for ages.. wife or gf complain.. mom complain.. dog park at u..and cat started to show u middle paw.. no choice.. pay... then u drive out.. happily enjoying the car but pray hard that it wont spoil again... but it's inevitable.. all cars will rosak again... it's just a matter of when and what... and most importantly.. where.

Continental cars - Bentlys, Porsche, Ferrari or AMG or M BMWs... if u consider to buy this car, u wont be interested to read what I've read. Coz u would already know u would be bending over for it every now and then but u are prepared coz when u buy this car, u would have expected it and would already know u have what it takes to maintain it. Period!

To take on the challenge of an old car? old modded car? stock car? continental car? luxurious brand spanking new performance continental cars?? ... well, - Penny wise pound foolish - that's the path u do not want to be on.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys, need help on this prob.. i'd always determine that my car's battery terminal have a cruddy substances on them. need to clean quite often in 2-3 months. can u guys tell me why this happend, n how to prevent it from happen again. my 2nd car doesnt have this problem anyway. tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience