True cost of maintaining a sports car? GTR, Z, Merc SLK

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Hi all

I have been a fan of these sports cars for years and am in the position to buy such cars now. What is the true cost of own and maintain top end sports cars in Malaysia? Anyone here maintained a GTR or Z or even an SLK? Do share yr experiences....

TQ

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I do not have the purchasing authority to own a sports car yet, but my opinion:

1) how much would you like to spend on PURCHASING the car
2) how much would you spend per year to MAINTAIN the car

Then only select the range that fits

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Hi DanzEterna
Thank you for that reply. Man, if I had 2 cents for every time I read that reply! :biggrin:
Truth is, being able to pay for the monthly loan and fuel consumption is one thing, but knowing the true cost to maintain it is another. For example a 08 GTR is going for RM340k and a Audi R8 4.2 V8 Quattro -07 is going for rm380k. The price difference is just rm40k, but I am sure if we compare parts and service, we should be looking at something very different. I like to make educated purchases so maybe you can share with me some of your experiences in dealing with sports cars? Thx a lot!

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
if u can afford a sports car, maintaining it should be no problem for u.....
Couldnt agree more...

True enough, if you are in the elite category of owning a sports car, then what you need to worry

is how fast it can go?

and how many seconds it takes to reach 100km/hr ?

Not the km/litre of course!:rofl::hmmmm:

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
maintenance for sports car is high...but how often u drive it out?1 year u mayb doin only 5-10k. u can't compare with a daily driven toyota camry with annual milleage with 30-40k.in 5 years time maintenance costing may be the same.btw sports car are made more durable compared to daily driven cars.

faruck

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2011
selangor
different people,different perception..u cannot assume that all people buying sport/supercar have the same level of thinking..

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
different people same perception la...purpose of buying a sport car is to break speed limit.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I don't own any sport car and not in any position to buy one. But just as far as i know about.

Fixed maintenance cost for GTR35 like you mentioned should be somewhere like:
Annual motor insurance insured RM340K (after 55% NCD): RM4,125
Road tax: RM5725???

Variable maintenance cost: tyres, fuel, service etc.

I should be safe to say RM20k per annum depending on how you drive and do with it.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i also do dream bout owning a sports car,for example i always wanted an evo9. but unfortunately cannot afford yet, i definately dont care bout the fuel consumption, cos its a mivec turbo with all time 4WD, obviously will consume more petrol than a n/a car.

maintanance wise, definately again will be more expensive than an average 2.0L car, costs will be much higher as well as the workmanship. many aftermarket parts around even halfcut.

resale value : i dont care, gonna keep it for life.

the only problem i have now is not enought $$$:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Hi DanzEterna
Thank you for that reply. Man, if I had 2 cents for every time I read that reply! :biggrin:
Truth is, being able to pay for the monthly loan and fuel consumption is one thing, but knowing the true cost to maintain it is another. For example a 08 GTR is going for RM340k and a Audi R8 4.2 V8 Quattro -07 is going for rm380k. The price difference is just rm40k, but I am sure if we compare parts and service, we should be looking at something very different. I like to make educated purchases so maybe you can share with me some of your experiences in dealing with sports cars? Thx a lot!
if u want a monster go for R35, if u want style go for audi R8.

but if i had the money will definately go for GTR R35, i like godzilla :biggrin:

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
So from what I gather, the GTR will cost me 2.5k a month to maintain. How much does a full service cost? A new set of tires?

Is the 370z significantly cheaper?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro, I think it'll be better if you list down what cars you'd be interested in first, then only compare. The maintenance costs for the R35 vs say a Supra is very different. Lots of electronics in the R35 more mechanical in the Supra. But the Supra 2JZ is almost bulletproof.

Euro sports cars again are very different in costs. A friend of mine tells me his daily driven Audi TT is relatively cheap to maintain. Servicing comes roughly every 6 months and can cost up to 8k depending on whats done. But to him 8k per half a year is reasonable for the performance he gets. Bloody nice car to drive around too. Road tax is significantly cheaper than a R35 and he's not in the TT for racing, he's in it for Euro class. So to him it doesn't matter the R35 will beat the TT in everything it does.

And in the even cheaper category a RX7 FD. Brilliant looking car but rotary needs more pampering. Petrol consumption will be significantly higher than any sports car in the 'reasonable' range. Oil changes also more frequent but the maintenance will cost anything between 300 to 2000 depending on what needs to be done. Maintenance will be roughly every 3 months or less.

Personally - I feel the more electronics a car has, the higher the maintenance. Personally that's one of the reasons why I like the Supra so much.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Bro, I think it'll be better if you list down what cars you'd be interested in first, then only compare. The maintenance costs for the R35 vs say a Supra is very different. Lots of electronics in the R35 more mechanical in the Supra. But the Supra 2JZ is almost bulletproof.

Euro sports cars again are very different in costs. A friend of mine tells me his daily driven Audi TT is relatively cheap to maintain. Servicing comes roughly every 6 months and can cost up to 8k depending on whats done. But to him 8k per half a year is reasonable for the performance he gets. Bloody nice car to drive around too. Road tax is significantly cheaper than a R35 and he's not in the TT for racing, he's in it for Euro class. So to him it doesn't matter the R35 will beat the TT in everything it does.

And in the even cheaper category a RX7 FD. Brilliant looking car but rotary needs more pampering. Petrol consumption will be significantly higher than any sports car in the 'reasonable' range. Oil changes also more frequent but the maintenance will cost anything between 300 to 2000 depending on what needs to be done. Maintenance will be roughly every 3 months or less.

Personally - I feel the more electronics a car has, the higher the maintenance. Personally that's one of the reasons why I like the Supra so much.
Personally that's one of the reasons why I like the Supra so much :top: :biggrin:

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Izso, fantastic reply!

Right now I am looking at the Peugeot RCZ, SLK and the TT. All European. The only Asian rides are the370z that comes to mind.
I know a lot of ppl have this "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" mentality but I believe cash is king. I can save a lot of money if I ask the right questions and make the right choices.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifus out thre...currently i usin dis 1.8 sohc mmc wif hks forgedpistons(size im not sure)....plannin 2 hybrid it wif mivec...id supposed da stuffs needed are the mivec head,full wiring and ecu....but mech told me il need extra stuffs like the intake manifold, distributor and tensioner pulley cuz of my conversion fr sohc...he aso told me need 2 port polish the cylinder head 2 balance the top n bottom compression ratio...so izit trueeee??plz advisee n 1 more ques can dis 1.8sohc mmc block...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience