RSR Springs for DC5 - Facelift

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Need to find out from the sifus. Where can I get my hands on RSR springs? Any dealers or shops selling it.

thanks..

Hizam..

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
at the risk of sounding stooopid ..... what are RSR springs???

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
at the risk of sounding stooopid ..... what are RSR springs???
Bro Vagabond, check this out..

Online Store - RS-R USA

Came across this website. right now I am looking for cheaper solution to lower the center of gravity first. Later on only go for coilover. So changing to after market springs will be the most logical choise.

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Hizam, you can try autoequipe car shop at IOI Business Park, Puchong...they sell rs-r springs.

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
WAFS, thanks for the fir bro.. Will check out on Monday and prolly intsall it straight away.

Prasath,
Right now I can't afford it yet. Just settle for spring and do everything else first. Maybe in 3 to 4 months time then I I'll buy a coilovers. See how my $$ looks like .. so many things to do and so lil $$ in the pocket.. :frown:

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Hizam, in addition to the lowering spring, you can lower your centre of gravity by using spacers for the wheels to increase track width. Same goes with wheels with different offset than stock.

Massive_InfusioN

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
Selangor
Hizam, in addition to the lowering spring, you can lower your centre of gravity by using spacers for the wheels to increase track width. Same goes with wheels with different offset than stock.
Farouk, I've bumped to this video of Dc5 going downhill & uphill roads, but using a different setup of tyre width for front and back, it uses 235 front and original 215 for rear. What is the advantage of this setup?

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Farouk, I've bumped to this video of Dc5 going downhill & uphill roads, but using a different setup of tyre width for front and back, it uses 235 front and original 215 for rear. What is the advantage of this setup?
The purpose is to have more front grip at the front while more tendency for rear yaw(oversteer) at the back which makes the car more tucks in/turn in at mid-corner. In other words, it will eliminate understeer when going downhill or in the wet. Just the driver need to be careful when the rear tails out upon throttle lift-off.
This is a good set-up only if you can manage to counter oversteer when the rear tails out. As quoted by veteran race driver (I forgot the name), 'an oversteer car is a fast car'.

Last time on track, I'm using 235 at front&rear and for next track day is thinking of using 225 at the back. 215 never crossed my mind coz even when I'm using 235, my car set-up is slightly towards oversteer. So, I hope with 235 front and 225 back, it will be more oversteer at every corner so I can steer the car with just steering input. But if I were to put 215 at the back, I'm afraid it will be too much oversteer.
So, basically, whatever set-up it must be balanced...not too much in any way and depends on individual liking. It must be progressive understeer & oversteer at the limit. Even some race drivers cannot drive on an oversteer car while some love it.

Last edited:

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
A good handling balance must have good roll control front & rear, balanced understeer/oversteer characteristics on selected corner, engine power matched with handling set-up. Good roll control in terms of roll rate and roll angle.

Like the set-up 235/215 mentioned, the car must have a powerful engine...for a FWD car with powerful engine, the car has tendency to understeer, so to counter this thats why it needs a oversteer set-up to counter this. Maybe they already tried with damper setting and geometry to get oversteer but still can't settle the understeer thats why they use the 215 at the back.

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
@wafs

its good to have you onboard. your knowledge on the subject and your willingness to share it is indeed very much appreciated

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
@wafs

its good to have you onboard. your knowledge on the subject and your willingness to share it is indeed very much appreciated
Okay...Thank You.

Massive_InfusioN

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
Selangor
A good handling balance must have good roll control front & rear, balanced understeer/oversteer characteristics on selected corner, engine power matched with handling set-up. Good roll control in terms of roll rate and roll angle.

Like the set-up 235/215 mentioned, the car must have a powerful engine...for a FWD car with powerful engine, the car has tendency to understeer, so to counter this thats why it needs a oversteer set-up to counter this. Maybe they already tried with damper setting and geometry to get oversteer but still can't settle the understeer thats why they use the 215 at the back.
Thanks Farouk for the detailed explaination, soo this setup induce to the oversteering of the car. It looks good on the video that the car seems nimble on narrow sharp turns and hairpins, and yes, i did see the driver was struggling with counter-oversteering, which is already resambles a drift car way of driving.

However, for track driving with long bends and much wider hairpins, does usage of this staggered setups assist a lot at corners? e.g Sepang. Also, does race car DC5's use this staggered setup or they maintain all round same width tyres?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Thanks Farouk for the detailed explaination, soo this setup induce to the oversteering of the car. It looks good on the video that the car seems nimble on narrow sharp turns and hairpins, and yes, i did see the driver was struggling with counter-oversteering, which is already resambles a drift car way of driving.

However, for track driving with long bends and much wider hairpins, does usage of this staggered setups assist a lot at corners? e.g Sepang. Also, does race car DC5's use this staggered setup or they maintain all round same width tyres?

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
For the staggered tyre size set-up at Sepang it depends on the level of suspension mods you put in the car. No need to use a staggered set-up if you can set-up the car to be well balanced as I mentioned before.

If by using this set-up the car is oversteering in character, then for tight corners and hairpin, an oversteery set-up helps a lot. Long corners is quite subjective with this set-up, some driver finds it okay but some will find it difficult to drive coz a lot of concentration must be put to maintain the car on its cornering line...just a sudden steering input and the car tails out...so a smooth driving is required. Not all driver has smooth driving skill.

From what I'd seen, DC5 race cars here don't use staggered tyre size during the race. This might be due to the organizer already set or provide the tyres...so no choice. And for endurance race, the tyres are rotated front-back so same size tyres are prefered.

If endurance race is not taken into account, another reason is because they already managed to set-up the car geometrically, ride height setting, spring rates, the use of spacers, staggered rim offset, specially selected antiroll bar diameter and spring rates where with all these a staggered tyre size is not required...pls take note they are using racing slick tyres where the tyres have very high traction/grip and high limit of slip. The tyres are not easy to lose traction. So, geometry setting of the car is more influential on race cars set-up.

So, for us, better tune the car with available components in the market first. Then, if still fail to get a good set-up then go for the staggered. But, if you want to shortcut and cut cost, by all means use the staggered tyre size set-up which what i will do next. Just make sure you already have a good roll control.

Massive_InfusioN

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
Selangor
For the staggered tyre size set-up at Sepang it depends on the level of suspension mods you put in the car. No need to use a staggered set-up if you can set-up the car to be well balanced as I mentioned before.

If by using this set-up the car is oversteering in character, then for tight corners and hairpin, an oversteery set-up helps a lot. Long corners is quite subjective with this set-up, some driver finds it okay but some will find it difficult to drive coz a lot of concentration must be put to maintain the car on its cornering line...just a sudden steering input and the car tails out...so a smooth driving is required. Not all driver has smooth driving skill.

From what I'd seen, DC5 race cars here don't use staggered tyre size during the race. This might be due to the organizer already set or provide the tyres...so no choice. And for endurance race, the tyres are rotated front-back so same size tyres are prefered.

If endurance race is not taken into account, another reason is because they already managed to set-up the car geometrically, ride height setting, spring rates, the use of spacers, staggered rim offset, specially selected antiroll bar diameter and spring rates where with all these a staggered tyre size is not required...pls take note they are using racing slick tyres where the tyres have very high traction/grip and high limit of slip. The tyres are not easy to lose traction. So, geometry setting of the car is more influential on race cars set-up.

So, for us, better tune the car with available components in the market first. Then, if still fail to get a good set-up then go for the staggered. But, if you want to shortcut and cut cost, by all means use the staggered tyre size set-up which what i will do next. Just make sure you already have a good roll control.
Nice! thanks for the elaboration of the usage of staggered tyres. Now it is clear to me on the concept of this setting. Talking on roll control, lately i felt that on approaching to a sharp corners from a high speed straight, i felt that the tail of my car swings and body rolls upon approaching & entry to the corner, rather than grips the car still. Feels like understeering + high rear roll......:mad:

What should i do to ensure that i can increase the grip level of the rear and eliminate rear rolls out. Any adjustable mechanism that can be configured? (front section has camber toe in or neutral). Seems like i encounter this difficulty in DC5's handling. Fyi im using all round adjustable dampers with pillow mount settings infront.

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Azrie, try to tighten your rear rebound damping until it reduces your rear roll. Let me know the result. We'll try settle the rear roll first. Let me know the result.

Massive_InfusioN

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
Selangor
Azrie, try to tighten your rear rebound damping until it reduces your rear roll. Let me know the result. We'll try settle the rear roll first. Let me know the result.
Alright, ill try to tight it up tomorrow, will let u know the outcome.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Shout out to Blue Integra DC5 who flashed his headlight at me at Seremban WSR XXXX. :adore: nice ride.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All

Need some advice regarding this issue. Planing to add a GB cooler to my trammy without discrad the original one. Setup should be as attachment.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience