new tyre in front or rear?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Man i had to copy out to a notepad, broke to paragraphs to ease my eye. :listen:

+1, ideally rotation are recommended at 10km (kalau rajin).
Hahaha, sorry, somehow lazy to press enter!

Yup, best is rotate every 10k km so the difference between front & rear stays minimal.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
When you drive a FWD car, which one would you prefer, understeer or oversteer? I wouldnt want my rear to snap out of a sudden in wet. Its gonna be impossible to recover.

No matter what climate we live in, slippery is slippery. Its the same everywhere in the world. Imagine this..you are driving fast on highway in the rain. Two things could happen:

1. Your front hydroplane and your car steers itself. But your rear is still grippy and you maintain a line.
2. Your rear hydroplane and your car spin. Front grip is almost useless unless you can power the car to straighten it. But in the wet and at highspeed, how fast can you react and how high is the chance of recovering?

I believe that the braking distance would not be compromised much as cars have rear brakes too, remember?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
When you drive a FWD car, which one would you prefer, understeer or oversteer? I wouldnt want my rear to snap out of a sudden in wet. Its gonna be impossible to recover.

No matter what climate we live in, slippery is slippery. Its the same everywhere in the world. Imagine this..you are driving fast on highway in the rain. Two things could happen:

1. Your front hydroplane and your car steers itself. But your rear is still grippy and you maintain a line.
2. Your rear hydroplane and your car spin. Front grip is almost useless unless you can power the car to straighten it. But in the wet and at highspeed, how fast can you react and how high is the chance of recovering?

I believe that the braking distance would not be compromised much as cars have rear brakes too, remember?
bro u long time MIA :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This is also what I have said if anyone asked in forums coz in general I would not know how they drive and what are the condition of their older tires.
Agree with you that whether new tyre in front or rear depends on the condition of the old tyres.

To me, if you start with 4 new tyres, and doing the 2 tyre change method, the old tyres can go to the front. Why? Well, if start with 4 new tyres, in a FWD car (most are nowadays) the front will wear out first. By the time the fronts tyre are bald, the rear will still have 70 to 80 percent. Putting them in front is still safe and also putting them in front will wear the old tyres off first. By the time these two tyre gets bald the rears ones will still have about 80 percent balance and the two tyre change can go on.
This is actually safer because at any time will still have 2 tyres with pattern. If you rotate the tyres at the end of tyre life you actually have 4 bald tyres. That is why if do 4 tyre change better change way before it reaches TWI.....:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Agree with you that whether new tyre in front or rear depends on the condition of the old tyres.

To me, if you start with 4 new tyres, and doing the 2 tyre change method, the old tyres can go to the front. Why? Well, if start with 4 new tyres, in a FWD car (most are nowadays) the front will wear out first. By the time the fronts tyre are bald, the rear will still have 70 to 80 percent. Putting them in front is still safe and also putting them in front will wear the old tyres off first. By the time these two tyre gets bald the rears ones will still have about 80 percent balance and the two tyre change can go on.
This is actually safer because at any time will still have 2 tyres with pattern. If you rotate the tyres at the end of tyre life you actually have 4 bald tyres. That is why if do 4 tyre change better change way before it reaches TWI.....:smokin:
So much difference meh, front already bald but rear still 70-80%? I thought usually the rear also only left like 50% at best, unless have high powered FWD car to easily burn off the fronts like your VR!

I do get your idea, better to have 2 tires still not too bald rather than have all 4 bald. However if my rear only left like 50% then I put those to the front with new ones at the rear, then the downside is I can have even more under steer in a FWD car. That's why I will always rotate if possible, hence to try maintain more or less the same handling even though overall grip of course already deteriorates. I'm still doing this for my wife's Livina even though cannot do already for my car. (I'm actually considering to change size to 235/45/17 all 4 so I can still at least dismantle to rotate front/rear).

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

One moral of the story though, don't drive too fast in the wet.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So much difference meh, front already bald but rear still 70-80%? I thought usually the rear also only left like 50% at best, unless have high powered FWD car to easily burn off the fronts like your VR!

I do get your idea, better to have 2 tires still not too bald rather than have all 4 bald. However if my rear only left like 50% then I put those to the front with new ones at the rear, then the downside is I can have even more under steer in a FWD car. That's why I will always rotate if possible, hence to try maintain more or less the same handling even though overall grip of course already deteriorates. I'm still doing this for my wife's Livina even though cannot do already for my car. (I'm actually considering to change size to 235/45/17 all 4 so I can still at least dismantle to rotate front/rear).
If start with 4 new tyres, yes, the wear in front very much more. Rear for FWD hardly wears.

That is exactly what the manufacturers mentioned. If you tent to understeer, you will slow down, rather than go faster and oversteer in a FWD.....lol:driver:

[A]aronLJW

Feb 2, 2017
Regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD, the better thread tyres should put at the rear.

Should the events of braking or cornering, your rear wont buang and you still have control on the front when you slow down.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
hahaha no lar...peek from afar using binoculars only:biggrin:
peeking at BLaCkHoWLiNG & Tom ah. walao, after so many years they are still going at it.. guess once you go sideways, you buang and cannot recover straight anymore.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
peeking at BLaCkHoWLiNG & Tom ah. walao, after so many years they are still going at it.. guess once you go sideways, you buang and cannot recover straight anymore.
How do u know that I'm not peeping u also? U know when u buang u also spinnnn

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
If start with 4 new tyres, yes, the wear in front very much more. Rear for FWD hardly wears.

That is exactly what the manufacturers mentioned. If you tent to understeer, you will slow down, rather than go faster and oversteer in a FWD.....lol:driver:
thats why this thread or topic is very confusing..

I guess I will still stick to new tyres in front..
I don't drive fast in rain, only like 150km :rofl:

its the front tyre that need to be replaced every few years

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

That's what I don't like, I'd rather maintain more or less still similar balance even though overall grip already reduced. Hence I always rotate if possible. Plus poor me don't have budget to change tires too often leh even if only 2. If I also only keep changing 2, I never get the experience of having all 4 brand new fresh rubbers to enjoy and can never evaluate them properly. :driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
thats why this thread or topic is very confusing..

I guess I will still stick to new tyres in front..
I don't drive fast in rain, only like 150km :rofl:

its the front tyre that need to be replaced every few years
150kph is pretty fast in the wet la especially if got some sweepers, don't be nuts coz it can endanger others also. You're not Ayrton Senna bro!

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
150kph is pretty fast in the wet la especially if got some sweepers, don't be nuts coz it can endanger others also. You're not Ayrton Senna bro!
:biggrin:
joking only..

to be frank, I really did that few years ago..
I really have much confident in my handling, tyres and braking..

now, changed man.. 150km is out..
I will keep to speed limit during rainy days.

life no take 2 :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's what I don't like, I'd rather maintain more or less still similar balance even though overall grip already reduced. Hence I always rotate if possible. Plus poor me don't have budget to change tires too often leh even if only 2. If I also only keep changing 2, I never get the experience of having all 4 brand new fresh rubbers to enjoy and can never evaluate them properly. :driver:
You are different, because you follow 4 tyre change and do rotate.
As per topic. what if you need to change only 2 tyres.....lol:rofl:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
If rain, dont speed. Simple.
Duno when going to run out of luck.
My big luck,, is manage to avoid that crazy girl drive against flow.
No lottery luck, else buy neighbor house. :biggrin:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If rain, dont speed. Simple.
Duno when going to run out of luck.
My big luck,, is manage to avoid that crazy girl drive against flow.
No lottery luck, else buy neighbor house. :biggrin:
If heavy rain, even new tyres also have it's limits...:driver:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
that's not a bad way to describe the car bug

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My childhood buddy has been asking me to detail his car for a long time, He has been told by many & mostly the northen service center Technical Advisor - that car need to be polished every year, otherwise it has no protection...

Polish for protection - definately is not the truth
the very moment if we allow any thing to rotate or surface comes into contact by certain polishers or compound.. our paint will be definitely get polish off little by little.. very soon we will endangered our clear...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience